• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Linux kali won't boot!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I dont know much about your actual problem, but I have had lots of issues with botched downloads. First thing I always do when I have a troubled install is check the md5. Seriously I had 2-3 distros that I had to download serveral times each. If your md5 doesnt match then get it again and try with a clean download. After that I dont have any more idea than you do :D

i downloaded from the official site i downloaded other versions with torrent tried every version of it even blackbox and nothing backtrack was the only one that booted.Even ubuntu won't boot.Although every one of them boots fine with virtual box

It seems to me, if they work in a VM, that your issue is in creating the bootable disc from an iso file. Are you using a usb or a disc? What program are you using to create the live disc?

tried both usb and dvd

- - - Updated - - -

formated hard drive tried to install as the only OS and nothing

- - - Updated - - -

tried 3 different sata cables one 3.0 and two 2.0-s

What program are you using to create the live disc? Do you have more than one drive connected? Have you tried using different USB ports? Have you tried different sata ports? Is the drive setup properly in bios? Have you googled the error code? Upload a pic of the whole line. From what I see it's definitely trying to read/write something from somewhere that it can't.

I used rufus and yes i tried every usb port even the two 3.0 ports.what do you mean the whole line? the pic i uploaded is the whole line it won't go further just freezes can't even restart my pc need to hold shut down button or pull out the ac

- - - Updated - - -

GREAT! now my flash drive doesn't work have to try it with the dvd

I used rufus and yes i tried every usb port even the two 3.0 ports.what do you mean the whole line? the pic i uploaded is the whole line it won't go further just freezes can't even restart my pc need to hold shut down button or pull out the ac

- - - Updated - - -

GREAT! now my flash drive doesn't work have to try it with the dvd

Ive had troubles with Rufus before. unetbootin has been troublesome as well. something called lil live usb has never failed me though. ALso if your
stick isnt completely broken, give it a deep format and then run it through the live creation process. I wouldnt suggest it if I hadnt dont it and gotten things working that way. I cant tell you that I know WHY it works though...

you mean lili usb i tried that tried unetbootin burned it to a dvd same thing freezes at the exact same point.As far as the usb stick goes tried it on other pc and my tablet and it wont work maybe its broken but still i have linux burned to dvd which should work but it doesn't also i could boot backtrack without any problem i don't know why

you mean lili usb i tried that tried unetbootin burned it to a dvd same thing freezes at the exact same point.As far as the usb stick goes tried it on other pc and my tablet and it wont work maybe its broken but still i have linux burned to dvd which should work but it doesn't also i could boot backtrack without any problem i don't know why

Ive seen the same ISO work differently on USB and DVD, so it might be worth confiming wether that usb stick is any good. yes DVD should work, but if you've confirmed that your md5 checksum matches (youve got a good download) and it still isnt working then you will have to try other means. Turning the speed down on your DVD burner to as low as possible is an option (my burning software actually demands it for burning bootable discs) as well as trying a different drive.

Perhaps someone else can chime in and let you know why it is being so picky, all I can say is that Ive spent hours trouble shooting different distros and the ultimate solution was something different in each case. I took out a disk that I had previously used (successfully) and tried to reuse it on a new system this last week and ran into random errors. I went to the same mirror and made a new disc -- then it worked. Silly Linux :)

Edit: Also are you suing a graphical installer or the CLI ? If youre getting stuck in the graphical installer, trying CLI might be worth a shot

borrowed my friends flash drive tried it on his pc it boots both on his laptop and his pc but it doesn't boot on my pc whatever i do and i tried every option from cli to graphical.also i have uefi and i have secure boot disable and i don't have legacy mode (EFI) but there is something called load efi shell or something like that

is there a possibility that linux kali is not compatible with my motherboard?

If you suspect the UEFI bios is causing some issues, then I wont be much help - but I already told you that :)

At one point in time I was having trouble with dual boot and UEFI and was directed to something called EasyBCD by someone more knowlegable. I cant really say much about it because I got sidetracked and never finished that project, but perhaps there might be something in it that is usefull to you. There is a free version, you just have to dig a bit.

Is there a way to install linux to a partition from windows and then able too boot into it?

Wubi installer is associated with Ubuntu, but I'm sure you can use it to install any distro you want. Trying to hack the planet with Kali/backtrack? Ubuntu's got great documentation, step by step guides, and is a user friendly way to break away from windows. I would suggest checking out the website.

Back