• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HEAT issues, Help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TickleMyElmo

So I own an Asus ROG GL551J and at idle it's between 50c-55c, when playing World of Warcraft it shoots up to 86c. Are these normal operating temps for a laptop? First time owning one so I'm at a loss.

What temp are you talking about?
What ambient temp?
What is it sitting on?

Lots of needed info missing here...

Again, what temp are you talking about? When you just say "86c" we don't know if it's CPU, GPU, or another sensor.
If you're running at that temp for an extended time, get it on a laptop cooler of some sort.

That said, 86°C is still in the safe range for a laptop CPU or GPU.

I checked the max temps for both the cpu (i7-4720hq, and the gpu 960m) and they are still in the safe zone. After about 10 minutes running World of Warcraft the cpu gets up to 93c max and the gpu gets up to 62c max. Guess I'm gonna have to buy a laptop cooler if they even work. Know of any good ones?

Any of them with fans that line up to the intakes on your laptop...

Anything will help.. its not like the temps are at critical mass already..the object is to get the lower. :)

Called Asus and they want to look at it, so I have to RMA it.

- - - Updated - - -

Not a very big intake, you know.

I honestly don't think the exhaust is even working. There is no air coming out of there and I don't hear a fan running.

It should ramp up when you get that hot... they are not exactly loud either... but you should feel some air blowing out the exhaust...

It should ramp up when you get that hot... they are not exactly loud either... but you should feel some air blowing out the exhaust...

Easy way to tell, hold a sheet of paper in front of the exhaust slot and see if it moves.

Back