• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking to buy a 2nd hand laptop for gaming/work - Would this laptop work?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

chrisbek

I have been looking at second hand laptops. I found this an asus-g75vx listed by a seller on kijiji which seems good but I am not sure if it is or if I could get a better laptop brand new for the money I am willing to spend.

Here is the link to the laptop I saw for sale second hand.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-laptops/king...120gb-sdd-750gb-hdd-16-gb-ram/1113868998?null

I am currently looking to purchase a laptop primarily for work. Mostly at work I would like the ability to use the laptop for surfing the internet, watching movies, working on office programs, programming C/C++/Visual Basic.

When not at work I would like to consider using the laptop for gaming if possible.

I prefer primarily to buy the laptops from www.canadacomputers.com or www.ncix.com as they are Canadian companies and are close by to me.

1. What is your budget? $1000.00 CANADIAN before taxes

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? Minimum 15 Inch or higher

3. What screen resolution do you want? Decent screen resolution for work.

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop? Portable - Plan to use it at work

5. How much battery life do you need? 4 to 6 hours

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?

The types of games I do play on my desktop are steam games. Games like farcry 3, cs:go, sniper elite 3, team fortress 2, payday 2, etc.

Additional things I would like to do:

Surfing the internet
Connect to wireless networks
Watching streaming videos/movies
Email
Office programs
Using the laptop to install and learn about Linux Operating System
Using the laptop to install and learn about Windows 7 Professional Edition 64 bit edition
Using the laptop to install and learn Windows XP Professional
The ability to connect to Windows 2003/2008 server environments

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop?

I want a laptop that I can create a dual boot system using Linux Redhat, Windows XP and Windows 7
Laptop must have wireless connectivity to internet
Decent sound and graphics
Surfing the internet
Watching streaming videos/movies
Email
Office Programs (Word, Powerpoint, Excel, Access)
Programming Using C++/Visual Basic.Net

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?

I don't as I don't store or use many files that are huge. 250GB to 1TB is ideal if possible

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.

www.canadacomputers.com
www.ncix.com
www.tigerdirect.com

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?

2 to 5 years tops

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?

I do need a dvd burner to write files to.

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.

Not too concerned on brands as long as it works for my intended needs.

13. What country do you live in?

Canada

I'd probably guess that the one you linked to would work well for you. Seems like a pretty decent price for the parts. 16GB RAM, SSD+HDD, i7 and descrete GPU would probably cost you in the area of $1500 new.

The one you linked looks like it would do well for you.
Note that it will be more of a "desktop replacement" rather than a light/thin/portable laptop.

Dlaw is spot on with how much a new system would cost.

This was probably a 3000$ laptop... 4 years ago...

Old laptops have inherent problems. Battery life is typically a laughable concern, ports can be "wobbly", hinges loosen over time, keys stick and wear out... also getting to the age where the HDD is going to potentially start having issues.

Spec wise, this is a great laptop. I would entertain it, but looking at your applications, you really dont need a super top of the line computer either. I'd check out some newer fare personally.

Back