• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 vs EVGA GTX 780 SC. Who's the winner? 2 close 2 call?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BuRgLaR

Just picked up a EVGA 780 SC w/ ACX for the wife last night and I was wondering how it would compare to my G1 970 in terms of raw performance.

GPU/CPU boss are always full of themselves but looking at the hard numbers it looks like the 780 excels in several areas where my 970 lacks.

Faster bus and others I was curious as to yall'z opinions on the showdown between these 2 cards as I think it'll put me and the mrs on a level playing field.

They are going to be pretty close, yeah. Feel free to look up some reviews and confirm. :)

970 :

1) is more power efficient (TDP of 145W) so needs a lower wattage PSU (quality 550W would suffice,650W for 780 Ti.750W for 970 SLI,1000W for 780 Ti SLI.)
2) is better for OCing
3) it generates less heat so stays cooler

780 :

1) ...

LOL K... good call!

Im with you on 4/5.. Id run the 780Ti on a 550W PSU and overclock it and the CPU... Id also easily run 2 780Ti's on a 750W PSU and overclock the CPU and GPUs (stock bios of course). Now, if you are talking AMD and FX octos, add 100W to each of those values. Hell, I would run 2 970's on a 650W PSU with an intel chip and overclock the snot out of them!

Just picked up a EVGA 780 SC w/ ACX for the wife last night and I was wondering how it would compare to my G1 970 in terms of raw performance.

GPU/CPU boss are always full of themselves but looking at the hard numbers it looks like the 780 excels in several areas where my 970 lacks.

Faster bus and others I was curious as to yall'z opinions on the showdown between these 2 cards as I think it'll put me and the mrs on a level playing field.

How about looking at real review sites instead of crap sites like GPUboss when you're comparing?

http://anandtech.com/bench/product/1355?vs=1036

In new games GTX970 will be faster and it will still improve on new drivers. Nvidia is not improving performance in their drivers for GTX700 series. When GTX900 were released then GTX780 was faster than the GTX970. After couple of driver updates GTX780 was still in the same spot while GTX970 got like 10-15% performance improvement and for some games 20-30%.
I was comparing GTX970 to GTX780 as I had both cards at home in 2 similar gaming rigs. Now I play on GTX960 :)

Real speed improvements only started around 35*.**, before that was just driver error correcting afaik ? I mean nVidia is STILL trying to fix SLI...

There were random performance improvements throughout the driver releases... check the release notes on them.

SLI is less broken than CFx in my experience. Both have problems... it is just inherent to using multiple GPUs.

There were random performance improvements throughout the driver releases... check the release notes on them.

SLI is less broken than CFx in my experience. Both have problems... it is just inherent to using multiple GPUs.

Followed by random performance breaks :rofl: The 9**'s were 2nd Gen Maxwell right ? we can assume a fair time to introduce driver changes, windows and game updates and so on and so forth. Think they overdid it with the 970 though, now (almost a year later) their brilliant but when they came out...

Followed by random performance breaks :rofl: The 9**'s were 2nd Gen Maxwell right ? we can assume a fair time to introduce driver changes, windows and game updates and so on and so forth. Think they overdid it with the 970 though, now (almost a year later) their brilliant but when they came out...

No, the 970's were awesome at launch and have remained that way.

Yeah, not sure what he means by that... Their performance (our context) has only improved over time...

Yeah, not sure what he means by that... Their performance (our context) has only improved over time...

He's insinuating that the performance was not good at launch, but has been improved.
It's completely off-base though, the 970 was a game-changer at launch and has only improved since.

He's insinuating that the performance was not good at launch, but has been improved.
It's completely off-base though, the 970 was a game-changer at launch and has only improved since.

Not insinuating, saying. I meant driver wise, bug correction. Don't forget at the start there was massive problems with instability, SLI, black screens, memory related crashes and BSOD, TDRs etc etc etc, do you remember any other GPU that had that many problems ?

I don't remember the 970 having that (prominent of a) problem in the first place K, LOL! I can google those issues (on any GPU)...

The biggest issue with that GPU was the overblown 3.5GB vs 4GB thing.

Last edited:
Seriously :eh?: so many threads complaining about it i would've thought you noticed it. Most notable apart from VRAM would be the TDRs (which haven't been completely fixed), then black screens on post although i think most of those happened with the Strix series. SLI is ongoing since... forever ? BSOD was related to the memory, several games crashed hard or had massive fps drop like assassins creed. Instability overall from drivers like i said.

And how exactly does that prove anything ? i stated they seemed to have more then the usual, or other cards. They only fixed the memory issue in 347.**, TDR's with 970s continued until the 353.**, some motherboards had to have a BIOS update because they wouldn't recognize the GPU UEFI so it wouldn't boot. Its an awesome card like i said, but had many problems at start. Nothing you say will change that, regardless of you knowing about it or not ?

More than the usual is hard to prove...so is just like any other card. :p

347.xx - http://us.download.nvidia.com/Windows/347.88/347.88-win8-win7-winvista-desktop-release-notes.pdf
Their note even says: "The following sections list the important changes and the most common issues resolved
in this version". If it was as common as you seem to think it is, I would have to imagine it mentioned there or in the drivers below, no? Its not!

353.06 - Game ready driver for BF:hardline, with minimal fixes listed (not one had to do with TDR's).
353.30 - No fixes listed at all...was for batman
353.62 - was for W10/DX12. No mention of fixing anything specific.

Some motherboards + BIOS updates for GPUs....this wasn't an issue specific to the 970. We have seen it a few times here with many other cards. not to mention, the bios is different from each vendor... so who says those weren't vendor specific issues? :)

There is simply no way to empirically prove our talking points, so let's just agree to disagree and move on.

Last edited:
Back