• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Reimaging Android phones starts an Indexing process that drains your battery

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

c627627

c(n*199780) Senior Member
Samsung Galaxy S5.
As soon as I reimaged it back, a huge battery drain commenced, which was weird since the image was working before just fine.
I deduced that one of the changes was my 32GB microSD card filled with data. A file indexing process starts that destroys the battery.

Taking the card out did not help because the process was indexing files on the internal SD card as well.

Plugging it into power and leaving it be, letting the indexing process finish, maybe overnight, resolves the battery drain problem 100%.

I thought I would share this, even though there are many other causes for the battery drain out there too.

You will re image anything huh c627627. I didn't even know I could re image my S5, thanks.

You will re image anything huh c627627. I didn't even know I could re image my S5, thanks.

yeah I dont know how you would do that either! You dont seem to be talking about nandroid backups , so if you dont mind my asking.... what did you do? And why is that superior to a nandroid? Thanks in advance.

I now have a situation where I can reimage my phone in about 140 seconds. Every setting in every app is set up like I want it to be and every home screen custom iconed shortcut is where I want it to be.
I did so by rooting the phone, rebooting into recovery and saving the the backup in an image file.

How can anything else do. It's like comparing Windows restore to real OS partition image restore.

Off topic but I am flabbergasted that you cannot SYNC two android folders quickly and if you hold an a SD card in the palm of your hand and you insert it into an Android phone, you CANNOT sync it quickly either. It is 2016 and no one I know on any forum in this world thinks it is strange that you cannot.

You can only CLOUD sync which a 1000 times slower than direct folder to folder sync. Figuring out how to image the phone in the old days also took a very long time because the Android world does not post clear instructions on how to do these things. I wrote them myself and I think my instructions are the only ones an average person can follow.

Imaging smartphone = GOOD :)

I'm familiar with installation of custom recovery and imaging (what I called nandroid backup - seems to be a semi-formal usage) and I definitely agree with what you said about it being difficult to casually pick up in the Android corners of the Internet. If you like to tinker with your device though there is absolutely no substitute for a fresh image. I thought you had an alternative way besides the custom recovery route and was hoping to learn something :)

Back