• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Advice on $150-200 Gaming CPU/Mobo Combo

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

g0dM@n

Inactive Moderator
I'm SO out of the loop. I figured AMD would be the best bang for my buck option for this price range, but the AMD FX Vishera and Zambezi are still AMD's top of the line? Has there been anything new in the past 2 years since I bought my 8300 series CPUs?

I'm typically and AMD guy, but I'm 51/49 on this. I'll go Intel if that's also a very viable option for this price range. I plan on coupling this setup with a GTX 960.
If AMD, is it better to get a higher CPU freq quad-core like 4.2ghz, a 3.5ghz 6-core, or 3.2ghz 8-core.

Shoot at me with any suggestions, but please keep this from an AMD vs Intel debate. I'm willing to buy new, used, or refurbished. I've already expressed interest in someone's FX 8320.
This gaming build is for a cousin of mine. I already have a case, psu, optical drive, ssd, RAM, etc. in my possession.

Thanks!

The Fx 83xx is still the top for AMD, though for gaming you can also use a Fx 63xx and likely will not notice the difference. The issue with these cpu's is the motherboard they are put on top of. If you're only looking to run stock most mid range board will be sufficient. If you're looking to Oc then that's a different ballgame and as you know you will need cooling to go along with it. For stock to a mild Oc the least expensive board I would buy with my own money is the Asus M5A99X Evo. I have one and it's a good board up to around 4.5 Ghz with a 83xx depending on the chip. You can likely clock a 63xx a bit higher due to it being slightly less demanding on the Vrm section of the board.

As far as intel goes, $200? I don't know where you can find anything worthwhile around that even used. Maybe if you could fine a i5 2500/3570k with a board but I'm not sure you can get them that cheap.

The Fx 83xx is still the top for AMD, though for gaming you can also use a Fx 63xx and likely will not notice the difference. The issue with these cpu's is the motherboard they are put on top of. If you're only looking to run stock most mid range board will be sufficient. If you're looking to Oc then that's a different ballgame and as you know you will need cooling to go along with it. For stock to a mild Oc the least expensive board I would buy with my own money is the Asus M5A99X Evo. I have one and it's a good board up to around 4.5 Ghz with a 83xx depending on the chip. You can likely clock a 63xx a bit higher due to it being slightly less demanding on the Vrm section of the board.

As far as intel goes, $200? I don't know where you can find anything worthwhile around that even used. Maybe if you could fine a i5 2500/3570k with a board but I'm not sure you can get them that cheap.

Your answer is exactly why I was leaning towards AMD. I think it's the more budget option for a gaming rig of the price range I'm looking for. Thanks, bud. I just can't believe Vishera is still the only option. It's been out for so long. Did AMD give up on desktops?

Your answer is exactly why I was leaning towards AMD. I think it's the more budget option for a gaming rig of the price range I'm looking for. Thanks, bud. I just can't believe Vishera is still the only option. It's been out for so long. Did AMD give up on desktops?
Basically yes, the only new options out there are the Apu processors with built in graphics such as a A10 7870k for example. They're not bad for what they are but they're not high end gamers. Supposedly a new discrete Cpu the Zen is coming out next year, I'm not holding my breath though.

Last edited:
I'd suggest a GA-970A-UD3P and FX-6300 with a moderate OC for your budget :thup:

Basically yes, the only new options out there are the Apu processors with built in graphics such as a A10 7870k for example. They're not bad for what they are but they're not high end gamers. Supposedly a new discrete Cpu the Zen is coming out next year, I'm not holding my breath though.
It's sad. APU won't do it for this build. It's not enough.. I'd like to WOW my cousin with this build as it'll be his first real gaming PC that's solely for him.
I'd suggest a GA-970A-UD3P and FX-6300 with a moderate OC for your budget :thup:

What drives me nuts is I've sold AM3+ boards and FX 6 and 8-core chips for less than they're going for now, and each well over a year ago. That drives me nuts! I've never seen a halt in things, so I'm a bit torn to see that Intel is my only true upgrade option from what I'm used to!!

Either way, I know an AM3+ setup with a Vishera chip will be plenty for this build.
I'm still rocking my two FX 8300 series for a while now. :) I think I got my money's worth for a change!
Thanks for the advice!

There have been i5 2500k + 8GB DDR3 + motherboards sold for under $200 in combos at [H], so I'd say look at a used setup and go Intel as a 2500k will be a stronger performer than a 6300.

With how far into the i5/i7 generations Intel is, you can grab a SandyBridge cheap. Hell, someone on [H] just last month sold a 2600k + 8GB DDR3 + 120GB SSD + MSI Z77A-G45 mobo for $225.

* i5-3570K CPU and Intel DZ77BH-55K motherboard sold for $220.

These are just examples, but as you can see, used IS an option.

Last edited:
There have been i5 2500k + 8GB DDR3 + motherboards sold for under $200 in combos at [H], so I'd say look at a used setup and go Intel as a 2500k will be a stronger performer than a 6300.

With how far into the i5/i7 generations Intel is, you can grab a SandyBridge cheap. Hell, someone on [H] just last month sold a 2600k + 8GB DDR3 + 120GB SSD + MSI Z77A-G45 mobo for $225.

* i5-3570K CPU and Intel DZ77BH-55K motherboard sold for $220.

These are just examples, but as you can see, used IS an option.

Those are insane deals, agreed! I just search the first 5 pages and came up empty, though. :(

Nice snag on the 8320E!
What board are you pairing it with? (Make sure it has an 8+2 VRM please :) )

Count the cubes next to the socket. There are 5, so it is likely a 4+1. You aren't overclocking so you should be ok, just make sure you have good airflow around those VRMs... and possibly the back of the socket.

(Intel doesn't have these issues - saying that as a matter of fact, not to start anything. :))

There are NO mATX boards that I would recommend for an 8core FX. The Asrocks aren't the best period. You might be OK if all on auto to take advantage of the power savings. And as E_D says lots of fans front and back

This.

You want extra cooling on the VRM/socket for sure, mATX and mITX on AM3+ are generally a terrible idea.

Points taken. The good news is I'm putting it in a good case (Antec P180), so good airflow. I won't overclock. I didn't PLAN on it necessarily.
Thanks, guys!

Back