• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New WC build, looking for help to test its OC ability.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
There would be no difference idle or load.

Not necessarily true. After all, turning the computer on is essentially the same as turning a (very) small heater on. Running a heavy stress test on said computer is equivalent to turning that heater on "high". How this affects the measured ambient temperature depends on the time frame, the size of the room, ventilation, the position of the thermometer etc. Furthermore, if the "load" ambient temperature was measured over six hours after the "idle" ambient temperature, there are several other factors that may have changed the temperature in the room.

Ambient temp is the temp in the room. There would be no difference idle or load.
You all need to get on the same page as to what temps are what.

These are room temp taken using a laser temp gun. The point of contact is the corner of the pc case (same place every time). Yes there is a difference in room temps between idle and load. There is a difference in both temps depending on how many people are in the room and where people sit in the room.

Your air temps matter more than the metal case temps. The change in metal temperature is rather slow in comparison to your air temperature and is a null and void reading. However you are accurately measuring the metal case temperature that would ultimately make no difference to your cooling unless your side panel is clamped between the cpu and waterblock.

Humidity also takes affect to air temperature as a more humid room is more difficult to cool off and therefor would have an effect on the radiator.

Granted we are talking very small changes here and there. Ultimately a lower ambient air temperature is what you are going to aim for. So kick people out of the room!!

Any how Eddie, it's neither here nor there. At least your honest and display honest scenarios. I don't know how many times I've read users getting awesome clocks or demonstrating over 5ghz clocks while running lower voltage and never once saying what exactly they are cooling with and if there is actually chilling added much like the link I provided to you earlier in this thread for you. It should be obvious that 5300mhz with an FX-8350 at 1.5000v is nearly impossible (IS impossible) to do with ambient temps especially knowing the PC was built in the mid southern USA where temps are high and humidity is killer. Until I ask the question, it seems mystery like they don't want you to know some stuff.

Now knowing your running a daily rig and probably not interested in chilling, continuous stress testing Only applies if you can find a configuration and apply it. I'd say you could game pretty stable at 4.5 - 4.6ghz knowing full well that gaming temps differ greatly from stress testing temperatures. Personally, I'd like to see how your gaming temps are in comparison to your stress testing (stability) and perhaps you could push that extra 100mhz just solely for gaming purposes and perhaps be able to cool that FX-9590 your interested in.

If the PC is in the same room as the furnace thermostat, the reading there would be accurate enough....

Round Two​

Ok, so I replaced the DDC/Pump Res combo with a D5 pump and a EK-250 Res and added another 240 res. It might look a little.. strange but keep in mind it only temporary.

Left_Side-W-240-Rad.jpg

Left-Rear.JPG

Right-Rear.JPG

Right-Side.JPG

Top-Side.JPG

Last edited:
Just thought I would post an update of the new configuration. I haven't done any official bench/stress testing yet (it's planned), but I did give it a run just to see what it would do with prime w/blend and Heaven on ultra with my CPU at 4.5, the video card maxed out at 950MHz and 20% power. She ran cool as a cucumber without errors.

:comp:.

Back