• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fallout 4 Gaming Desktop

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
This sucks.
My buddy said the machine blue screened twice today during Fallout 4.

I love it when I do a favor in building a machine for no $$ and it bites me in the behind!!!

I'll have to diagnose a minidump if there is one. What's typical... DRAM voltage/speed?
The rig with the 8320e and the Asrock board? What memory/Speed and amount are you running?

The rig with the 8320e and the Asrock board? What memory/Speed and amount are you running?

The friend is running a 6600k with 16GB DDR4-2800.

I wonder what the BSOD code was.

Did you download the latest beta catalyst drivers for the video card?

What OS did you end up installing for him?

For the dram voltage/speed I would just use the XMP profile setting and see if that works.

Could always try a stress test with memtest86+ and/or prime95 blend to see if either of those are faulty/unstable (even at stock) or maybe something is overheating?

What Janus said below...
The friend is running a 6600k with 16GB DDR4-2800.

I wonder what the BSOD code was.

Did you download the latest beta catalyst drivers for the video card?

What OS did you end up installing for him?

For the dram voltage/speed I would just use the XMP profile setting and see if that works.

Could always try a stress test with memtest86+ and/or prime95 blend to see if either of those are faulty/unstable (even at stock) or maybe something is overheating?
I asked and got an answer from him yesterday that a driver stopped responding. I even called him Friday night to diagnose but he was busy...
I didn't use the beta drivers. I used the latest stable ones. If there's a minidump (I'm hoping so), I'll analyze it, but hopefully it's a driver issue. I'm going to get back to basics with stress tests and cooling if that's the case, but I'm going to actually doubt it. Well, usually, for me (with NON-OCed, brand new builds), the problems are driver or RAM related. I'd toy with RAM speed/voltage if it wasn't a driver, but hopefully it's just the GPU driver.

Think I should try beta? If the GPU was overheating, could it still kick back a driver crash?

Thinking about it more, I doubt the GPU was overheating, I know you are using a somewhat smaller case (enough so that you had to use a different GPU to fit anyway), but generally it would just throttle and not give a full crash/bsod.

I would give it a shot with the latest version of the drivers, the 'stables' I think are a few months old. Could also be PSU related where it isn't supplying enough/consistent power under load and crashing. But I figure we should stick on the software-side of things.

What OS did you end up installing?

Thinking about it more, I doubt the GPU was overheating, I know you are using a somewhat smaller case (enough so that you had to use a different GPU to fit anyway), but generally it would just throttle and not give a full crash/bsod.

I would give it a shot with the latest version of the drivers, the 'stables' I think are a few months old. Could also be PSU related where it isn't supplying enough/consistent power under load and crashing. But I figure we should stick on the software-side of things.

What OS did you end up installing?

Sorry for not answering about the OS: Win7 Pro x64

He opted to delay the free Win 10 upgrade. I told him we could do that later. I'd say it's the smarter move for now.
I'll have him try the latest beta drivers if needed. I sent him a msg and he said after he got passed a certain part in FO4, it hasn't crashed since. I'm going to tell him later this week that regardless, we should think about still checking it out. A crash is a crash... it means something is unstable. I don't like assuming something won't crash again, but it's his call. ;)

I did tell him when he paid me for the parts the other day that he HAS to upgrade to a higher res monitor!! I think he's running 1080p only. I told him this car has much more in it!

The scout has pretty decent airflow, specifically with fans mounted on the side. One kept my overclocked AMD 960T/550Ti system cool. I'd doubt overheating.

I think the first thing I would do is run Memtest, then I'd run Firestrike and IBT or IXTU's stress test at the same time to rule out all major components (PSU, CPU, GPU and RAM). If that doesn't cause a crash, you know it's software, but why chase a software rabbit if the hardware is at fault, right?

The scout has pretty decent airflow, specifically with fans mounted on the side. One kept my overclocked AMD 960T/550Ti system cool. I'd doubt overheating.

I think the first thing I would do is run Memtest, then I'd run Firestrike and IBT or IXTU's stress test at the same time to rule out all major components (PSU, CPU, GPU and RAM). If that doesn't cause a crash, you know it's software, but why chase a software rabbit if the hardware is at fault, right?
I do have 2x120mm fans on the side of the case fan, so yes the case has great airflow.
My buddy hasn't called back. I checked back with him and nothing. I'll just wait and if he doesn't call back, it's no longer my problem. ;)

First I'm hearing of IXTU. I downloaded it just to have. Does that work well for AMD chips too? Thanks!

I've never tried IXTU on an AMD chip either. I'd assume the stress test would work, but I doubt it'd be as tough as P95 for AMD.

I do believe parts of the XTU stress test uses Prime 95, I may have to see if I can install it on my AMD rig just to see if I can.

Okay, was just curious what I should be using with AMD is all. :)

I'm a severe Bethesda fan & played FO3/NV to death and nearly now Skyrim going the same way... but upon discovering I need to download approx 20GB in combination with the content on FO4 retail DVD makes me think why didn't they just release it on USB stick ?

I mean 32GB sticks are pretty cheap these days and besides that, USB connections are available on every device that can potentially play this game. More so than if they say, released it on blue ray disc ...

Some of us out here in the real world don't have unlimited internet connections... :mad:

I'm a severe Bethesda fan & played FO3/NV to death and nearly now Skyrim going the same way... but upon discovering I need to download approx 20GB in combination with the content on FO4 retail DVD makes me think why didn't they just release it on USB stick ?

I mean 32GB sticks are pretty cheap these days and besides that, USB connections are available on every device that can potentially play this game. More so than if they say, released it on blue ray disc ...

Some of us out here in the real world don't have unlimited internet connections... :mad:

For piracy purposes I would imagine.

That said, this discussion is off topic from this post. If you want to discuss FO4, there's a thread in the Games section for it.

^What Janus said, but just to add... once you're done downloading, you should look into seeing if that data can be backed up. I remember I used to run backups in Steam so I wouldn't have to download everything all over again.

FYI, I have not heard back from my buddy!! I guess that's good news!

Back