• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FPS-200 Series Speakers Buzzing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

istari675

I've had these speakers for a few years now and I am happy with them overall. Both speakers are giving off a buzz which is a bit annoying, and the bass isn't that impressive. I am interested in either replacing the sub-woofer which I am sure is causing the buzz, or getting a new speaker system altogether.

I am not an audiophile so I am not sure if the speakers are good quality, or I just don't have the experience to tell. I would prefer to save some money and get a new sub-woofer if I can get some assistance picking out a replacement. If you believe these speakers are trash and I would see a noticeable improvement investing in new ($100-200) desktop speakers, then feel free to make suggestions.

Not sure what FPS-200 speakers are, do you know the manufacturer?

Interesting.

Have you tried:
- a different input cable
- a different wall outlet

Can you try:
- the speakers without the sub

I've tried 3 different cables, each one higher quality than the last. The buzzing also continues even when the audio cable is unplugged. I guess I will need to bring the speakers to another house to test out if its just my wiring, as I have moved the computer into 3 different rooms and I have always had the buzz. The speakers are wired into the sub so I am not sure how I could test them without it. I don't have any equipment that I can lock an audio wire into.

Definitely check at a different house, or with a UPS if you have one.
Since it's continuing without the audio cable present it's definitely either an issue with your home's power or with the power supply inside the sub.

Just for future reference once I figure out which issue it is would that be fixable? Is there something I can get to cut out the buzz if its coming from my power outlets? And if it is my sub would it be possible to just replace the sub with one that would still be compatible with my speakers?

Are your speakers hard-wired into the sub or do they have a connector?
Like I mentioned last post, you could try a UPS to see if it will alleviate the buzz. This will only work if the house power is the issue, not if the power supply on the sub is the issue.

I just realized I also get a buzzing from my TV audio, but my head is so far from its built in speakers it is much, much quieter. Would that mean that the UPS would be the safe bet? Since I would be keeping my TV, Desktop speakers, and maybe even my PC on it, which one would you suggest?

I need to know the power draw of your TV, speakers, and PC along with the time you want them to stay on in case of power loss to be able to size one properly.

Sounds like a safe bet though since you have two things exhibiting the same behavior.

The TV is a 34" Vizio, but I plan to potentially switch to around 50" in the future, not sure how to figure out the power draw though. The speaker system is marked 40w on the sub, and x2 10w for the speakers.

Desktop is has an AX760 in it, so I don't know if it would be required for me to include that on the strip. If the PSU does a good job cleaning up the power line I would be satisfied. If it would benefit the desktop to be included on the strip I am running a 4790k and DCU2 780, but I would want to future proof the strip.

I don't really need it to stay on after the power cuts out, but that would be a neat feature to have unless it was incredibly expensive for it to last a minute or two.

Please list all the components in the PC, including model numbers, and I can calculate the power draw from that.
Same for the TV, if you can provide the model number I can find what I need.

The TV is an E320VL. Major parts on the PC include a ROG Swift, Maximus hero VI, 4790k Stock, Asus 780 DC2 OC, Gaming keyboard and mouse, Snowball microphone. That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

Do these things go on sale for cyber monday, or should I just grab it whenever?

Sorry for all the dumb questions but you are really saving my butt. How long do these things usually last? Does including my gaming PC on this strip benefit it in any way other than letting it stay on if the power goes out, if the PC is already on a surge protector (I have no experience with damaged caused by power outages)? If I don't work with critical data and I don't mind if the power shuts my computer down would it be worth it to just get a UPS for my audio equipment only?

Just trying to verify if the price tag is worth it, since I am sure the PC is the main contributor to the wattage requirement.

The unit I linked has a warranty of 3 years, but should be fine to use well beyond that.
I personally use a CyberPower UPS myself, they're very nice units.

As for benefits over a surge protector:
- EMI/RFI Filtering (This is what will most likely help you with the speaker issue)
- Brownout Protection (Long dips in voltage)
- Voltage Regulation (Keeps voltage at a steady 120V)
- Ethernet/Phone/Coax Surge Protection (Like a surge protector for other cables)
- Wiring Fault Indication (If there's an issue with your home wiring being grounded correctly)

I might still wait until cyber monday anyways but as long as there is a 30 day refund period this sounds like the perfect thing to try out. I run into power outages a bit too often for comfort, so I guess this is just the next logical step in PC hardware. Thanks for all your help.

If those outages are blips, then a UPS will be VERY nice for you!
Either way, it gives you a chance to shut down your PC.
That unit linked should last ~5min with your TV, speakers, and PC running at 100% power draw, even including potential future overclocking.

Back