• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Forum members do you think PC gaming is dying.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Well I was just at walmart tonight and looks like DVD is going faster than I like to see, battlefront you get the case however it says in small print download only and it's 40GB+. I would need a new SSD or use my backup spinner, however I don't see the point of owning a SSD if I do that for games.

what, put games on the spinner? Boot times and overall snappiness of the OS is plenty of reason.

You took my statement out of context.;)

Fallout 4 was most definitely hacked/cracked within a few days after release.

Its actually even the Steam version i do believe.

Just copy a few files from crack folder too the Main install folder and voila it works. no steam.

Essentially if the game is out then their is most certainly cracked copies of it available via torrents.

Fallout 4 was most definitely hacked/cracked within a few days after release.

Its actually even the Steam version i do believe.

Just copy a few files from crack folder too the Main install folder and voila it works. no steam.

Essentially if the game is out then their is most certainly cracked copies of it available via torrents.

Not necessarily true (with the general statement that if a game is out that there are cracked copies).

Fallout 4 was available the day before release from a scene release group. Many games that launch with the Denuvo haven't been cracked or take much longer after launch to be done.

Not going to go into this much more as it is already gray area on our rules.

That's worse than your average 3G cell phone (around these parts, at least). :eek: Makes no sense in 2015 if you ask me. The lowest I can get in my neighbourhood is (surprisingly as low as) 10 Mbps - and that would actually cost me more than my 100 Mbps connection from my current service provider. Of course, this isn't really a fair comparison since I don't live in the US, but still...

Edit: Maybe I should say something regarding the actual topic as well... No, I don't think PC gaming is dying. It's only changing.

I have 1.5 Mb and the only other option is a 10 Mb wireless that's about $100 a month. That said I still won't buy dvd games I'd rather deal with a day of downloading. I hated having to put the disc in to play eveytime. I have one odd which is USB external that is for Windows install and benching

I download my games for one big reason: Install times. There are only a few games that benefit enough from SSD speeds to install them to my SSD (mainly just the single player games that I play, plus CSGO), so pretty much everything gets installed to my storage drive. When I reformat (about once every 6 months, usually), all I have to do is install Steam and point it to the library folder on my storage drive, and everything is automatically reinstalled, without having to be re-downloaded and in a matter of minutes. Having software on discs means I have to manually reinstall everything, which takes hours.

I download my games for one big reason: Install times. There are only a few games that benefit enough from SSD speeds to install them to my SSD (mainly just the single player games that I play, plus CSGO), so pretty much everything gets installed to my storage drive. When I reformat (about once every 6 months, usually), all I have to do is install Steam and point it to the library folder on my storage drive, and everything is automatically reinstalled, without having to be re-downloaded and in a matter of minutes. Having software on discs means I have to manually reinstall everything, which takes hours.

I do the exact opposite. My download speeds are terrible , so if I have to install software I prefer a disc. If my internet speeds were close to 21st century speeds (or even late 20th century) it would probably change things. And I've only reinstalled my OS once since 2007 , when I upgraded (replaced everything but the case).

PC games are not dying or going away. The downside of the industry though is this all digital/streaming crap. I'm old fashioned and so I am going to be left behind because I refuse to go all digital. I'm a game collector (1,100+ games) and I also love the physical items you (used) to get with a game. Artwork and manuals are something I enjoyed to have. So not having anything to put on my shelf is not something I can subscribe to and I just feel like it is a waste since they are charging the same $$$ for less substance.

But I'm going off topic. PC games will be around as long as gaming is still around. :)

Your not going off topic, I believe in the USA there are a lot of people with DSL with slow downloading 3Mb/s that need DVD's to save time and total bandwidth usage CAP, like AT&T 150GB cap.
Anyway Quote:Over $34 billion are spent on PC games this year. Worldwide, there are 1.8 billion gamers, of which 1.2 billion consider themselves to be active gamers. Active gamers pay for a new game each month, and they upgrade their systems every two to three years on average, compared with PC users who hold onto their PCs for around six years.

There are 7.29 billion people worldwide.

They may hold on to PCs for six years , but upgrades during that time happen , too. And PC gamers may not need 100 fps , but they want it. Until consoles can match the equipment levels of PCs there wil be a core of PC gamers. I can , however , easily envision that market shrinking down to much more of a niche market. I love my vinyl albums , for the same reasons JCE3000GT stated , but that makes me one of "those" people. LOL

Simple answer:
NOPE! not until I am alive, Can you imagine playing world of warcraft, starcraft, Heroes of the storm (wow all blizzard games) and FPS games like counter on a console? I mean sure you can play fps games on consoles but when using a controller compared to a gaming mouse, a good gamer will headshot others 5 times before they turn their backs :D and + typing is hard :S
I do however feel like everything is getting gimmicky and stupid so it is dying that way in my opinion :D

you can also mod pc games easily and other stuff like that, and when you pay for a gaming pc you don't need a seperate pc for programming or etc, these are also one of the reasons I don't think they will die! as long as people like us are alive!

Can you imagine playing world of warcraft, starcraft, Heroes of the storm (wow all blizzard games) and FPS games like counter on a console? I mean sure you can play fps games on consoles but when using a controller compared to a gaming mouse, a good gamer will headshot others 5 times before they turn their backs :D you can also mod pc games easily and other stuff like that

+1

IMHO the main reason most PC gamers won't change to a console ? crap graphics. I still see red when i hear about a game that would look absolutely beautiful on a PC getting murdered to fit on a console AND THEN getting released on PC with said graphics :mad: 2nd best reason is that u can crack games and torrent them instead of buying them (not supporting or condoning but it's done).

Here's a good example (please let's not mention how the graphics looked like BEFORE they got butchered, i still feel like crying) :

I have to say, along with graphics, using a controller for FPS on a console is TOUGH for me. I used to be a console gamer back in the day, even FPS, but once I went to PC, FPS and a controller felt like a foreign object in my hands!!

+1

IMHO the main reason most PC gamers won't change to a console ? crap graphics. I still see red when i hear about a game that would look absolutely beautiful on a PC getting murdered to fit on a console AND THEN getting released on PC with said graphics :mad: 2nd best reason is that u can crack games and torrent them instead of buying them (not supporting or condoning but it's done).

Here's a good example (please let's not mention how the graphics looked like BEFORE they got butchered, i still feel like crying) :

BTW, I haven't played much games but the best games i have played are not good graphics:

1.Life is strange, I love this style of graphics, somehow they feel better then battlefield or something, it's like trying to print a tiny object with low accurcy 3d printer, you get what i mean ? :D
and WOW That is a great game, just finished it a few hours ago

2. Bioshock Infinite, almost the same style ! loved it

3. half-life, didn't like it as much but still a good game!

I know all of these can be played on a console but i was just talking about graphics, ofc wow is also low graphics and awesome! Specially the legion!

I have left gaming for my finals so i can't remember more :(

- - - Updated - - -

I have to say, along with graphics, using a controller for FPS on a console is TOUGH for me. I used to be a console gamer back in the day, even FPS, but once I went to PC, FPS and a controller felt like a foreign object in my hands!!

I know :D I bought one for my phone recently. it feels like holding a brick S: feels so wrong....

I used to suck at FPS games with a controller ... until I played Borderlands and oddly Oblivion (XBOX 360). Those two taught me pretty quick how to be at least average at using a controller. And now it just feels normal to use a controller, but, I can still rock the hell out of a keyboard and mouse for FPS as that is the original way I played since Wolfenstein 3D back in the day. :D

Back