• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Forum members do you think PC gaming is dying.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
With my DVD loading it only last 20 minutes to 60 minutes depending on the game size. I think allot of people have forgot how fast DVD loads because they don't have a drive.

Sorry, but I can download faster than a DVD can be read from.
Also you don't have to be at the computer to change the discs.

Hate to tell you, but ODD's are going the way of the floppy drive.

With my DVD loading it only last 20 minutes to 60 minutes depending on the game size. I think allot of people have forgot how fast DVD loads because they don't have a drive.

I have a 110mbit connection = 13.75MB/s (which I generally max out on large steam downloads, or close to it). Which means it takes approximately 45 minutes to download a 40GB game and have the game installed automatically, no dvd/bluray changing of discs/etc. Granted if you have a much slower connection, the benefit of a optical drive increases.

Most new computers are designed to be smaller ... without ODD. Most software is available online and it's cheaper than to pay shipping costs, package etc. Still for some reason many games cost the same online and in box version. Most users don't care about CD/DVD, nice box or other things as long as price is lower.

I saw comments about piracy some posts ago so I will add something even though it's kinda off topic.
Cracked games are usually available before premiere. In some countries you can't buy a game for 2-3 weeks after official premiere but you can download it from torrents. Sometimes I wonder if game devs are not paying crackers to release pirated versions later. This situation was with Fifa 2 years straight. Even though it was protected in the same way as couple of other games, cracks were available almost half year later. Till then it was one of the best selling games. All who really wanted it then already purchased it before crack was available.
There are other situations that are weird. I don't remember which Assassins Creed version was it but after premiere it wasn't possible to pass the game. It was crashing in couple of places. Funny thing is that cracked version released about the same day as was official premiere, was working without issues. So what were doing gamers who bought the original game ? ... were installing crack to be able to play it.

What I don't like in online versions like steam etc is that in most cases you need access to the internet even if game is single player.
I also don't like how many new games have options to pay for some in-game items and links are directly in game. Since I mentioned AC then the latest version has something like that too.

I'm barely playing any games. Usually I stick to 1-2 titles per year. Like I was playing Fallout 4 and I will back to it but I'm busy with some other stuff right now. I also play Guild Wars 2 just because I like mmo and it's without any monthly payments or something like that. Not perfect but right now it's hard to find anything better anyway.

Maybe for wealthy people Odd''s are going away, Xbox one and PlayStation 4 there are plenty of Odd discs. I use red box and buy all my games on DVD also most people have DSL that runs 3-8Mb/s with AT&T in the south and in the north is CenturyLink, AT&T Uverse is a smoke screen they say sign up then let you know you can't get the fiber to the node speed, They don't want rural areas. Cable is expensive just for game downloading and I hear People are cutting the cable all the time on TV and internet.

I think you started on the holiday sauce a little early... :p :santa:

What do console ODDs have to do with PCs? Consoles come with them...there isn't a choice. The context here is PCS and loading games from it or DL it.

What does redbox have to do with anything? I am guessing it was mentioned because you can rent pc games through it? Otherwise, I am not sure what the association is again...movies or console games are one thing...but seeming not applicable here.

People are ditching cable because its CONTENT can be had for a lot less (chromecast, netflix, hulu, amazon, etc)...not because of internet... they NEED the internet/ISP from them.

Last edited:

I think you started on the holiday sauce a little early... :p :santa:

What do console ODDs have to do with PCs? Consoles come with them...there isn't a choice. The context here is PCS and loading games from it or DL it.

What does redbox have to do with anything? I am guessing it was mentioned because you can rent pc games through it? Otherwise, I am not sure what the association is again...movies or console games are one thing...but seeming not applicable here.

People are ditching cable because its CONTENT can be had for a lot less (chromecast, netflix, hulu, amazon, etc)...not because of internet... they NEED the internet/ISP from them.

You don't need more than 3-8Mb/s to watch Content, so 8Mb/s a DVD disc would be faster for loading games. I'm just talking about the market demand for Odd's and Why oem's laptops ane PC's come with them.

As far as the original question goes, this has been an ongoing thing for the last 10 years. Someone in the industry will post something about PC gaming dying and it will in turn cause people to wonder about the state of PC gaming. I only play PC games. I bought all the consoles and frankly, I never used them. I find PC gaming to be more enjoyable. Granted I play mostly FPS (so keyboard mouse), but I just find that the game that interest me are on PC it seems.

You don't need more than 3-8Mb/s to watch Content, so 8Mb/s a DVD disc would be faster for loading games. I'm just talking about the market demand for Odd's and Why oem's laptops ane PC's come with them.
Perhaps I need some caffeine to understand... sorry.

What does streaming movies have to do with loading a game from a dvd????

This is the first time you mentioned market demand for Odd's in laptops and pc...

Side note.. average internet speed is over 33mbps:http://cordcuttersnews.com/average-...ed-jumps-10mbps-in-just-one-year-to-33-9mbps/

Last edited:

Atminside said that Odd's are going they way of the floppy drive. That is what had me talking about the market demands and downloading games from DVD.

At 33Mb/s my DVD is 50% faster.

Last edited:
Atminside said that Odd's are going they way of the floppy drive. That is what had me talking about the market demands and downloading games from DVD.

ATM isn't wrong though, at least in the enterprise very very few of the desktops that we buy (that aren't going to be in a VDI environment) have ODDs come with them anymore. Also with the advent of ultrabooks etc they also don't come with them. Neither do Macbooks (air/normal/pro).

ATM isn't wrong though, at least in the enterprise very very few of the desktops that we buy (that aren't going to be in a VDI environment) have ODDs come with them anymore. Also with the advent of ultrabooks etc they also don't come with them. Neither do Macbooks (air/normal/pro).
I see best buy monthly and Walmart and Sam's there is allot of the PC's with Odd's, they where disappearing in the past years, however the have made a come back however they don't play blu ray. I guess we will have to see what the PC OEM market wants in the future, it's so much easier and cheaper for Average Joe to plop in home movies on a Disc than pay for storage or mess with backup drives.

And then you have to download big patches. I'd rather have one process and let it run in the background without listening to a wood chipper. :shrug:

This. And you have to change disks two, three, four, times also for a modern game.
And do all the install work yourself instead of having Steam/uPlay/Origin do it for you.
And get all the DirectX, etc, yourself instead of it being done as well.

Which, to my original point, even with a slower download makes downloading faster.

Oh, and to top it off, my download is 200Mbps. Way faster than 33Mbps.
I know not all people have this benefit though, which is why I hadn't mentioned it until now.

Yes I hate to face that DVD is fading away, just makes the cost high for us not wealthy people not to have a all in one system, it just seems like they can reduce the PC to nothing these days and it takes all the fun out of it, unless your the few that SLI or CF. I hate to see USB sticks take place of DVD and just throw them away, that seems to be a environmental waste.

Just seems like the beginning to the end for big or small PC tower when it can be done on a high power laptop or cube.

Yes I hate to face that DVD is fading away, just makes the cost high for us not wealthy people not to have a all in one system, it just seems like they can reduce the PC to nothing these days and it takes all the fun out of it, unless your the few that SLI or CF. I hate to see USB sticks take place of DVD and just throw them away, that seems to be a environmental waste.

Just seems like the beginning to the end for big or small PC tower when it can be done on a high power laptop or cube.

My 3x1080p gaming rig is mITX; 12"x12"x6".
Why have the extra space if you don't need it?

This. And you have to change disks two, three, four, times also for a modern game.
And do all the install work yourself instead of having Steam/uPlay/Origin do it for you.
And get all the DirectX, etc, yourself instead of it being done as well.

Which, to my original point, even with a slower download makes downloading faster.

Oh, and to top it off, my download is 200Mbps. Way faster than 33Mbps.
I know not all people have this benefit though, which is why I hadn't mentioned it until now.

I have all DVD games and they work fine you don't have to do anything Origin atomically updates also when my SSD went out I used all the DVD disks then they were patched fast when I played each game I think they are cumulative patches they don't take anymore space.

My internet connection is 5 mbps. That's all that is available in my neighborhood. ODDs go in all my builds and I wish I could load my games that way. Unfortunately the games I play have to be downloaded. A 235 mb update on shared wifi , through a 5 mbps connection , means I download when I go to bed and play tomorrow morning when traffic is low.

Well I was just at walmart tonight and looks like DVD is going faster than I like to see, battlefront you get the case however it says in small print download only and it's 40GB+. I would need a new SSD or use my backup spinner, however I don't see the point of owning a SSD if I do that for games.

My internet connection is 5 mbps. That's all that is available in my neighborhood.

That's worse than your average 3G cell phone (around these parts, at least). :eek: Makes no sense in 2015 if you ask me. The lowest I can get in my neighbourhood is (surprisingly as low as) 10 Mbps - and that would actually cost me more than my 100 Mbps connection from my current service provider. Of course, this isn't really a fair comparison since I don't live in the US, but still...

Edit: Maybe I should say something regarding the actual topic as well... No, I don't think PC gaming is dying. It's only changing.

Back