• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD FX 8370E Noob build and overclock to 4.8ghz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cwwc-Stalker

Registered
Hey everyone, I'm new to the forum, well posting wise but I'm always a reader! I have a question about this little beast and why the hell prime95 thinks it's the devil..... Firstly I overclocked this thing to 4.8Ghz and it's stable at 1.4250v, well stable is relative I guess. I seem to fail one core every blasted time and it's never the same core, but with that said aida64 and overdive pass with flying colours. I get no BSOD, no freezing and pretty dame lag free gaming for what this rig is. So back to my question, Why do I always fail prime 95 at this clock one one core? I have tried upping the voltages 1.5125 but doesn't work. Hell I can even boot to windows at 5+ ghz but the problem is the same just the temps kill me.

I also have a second question about temps! Everyone should know that the latest fx series is built to withstand 70c+ on the core and my thermal margin proves this from coretemp. Now with that said, it's not the core temp that is killing me it's the socket at 75c when stressing. But no matter what I do that socket likes the lava ride for some reason even at low V. I have tried the side back cover off fan thing, took a house fan blew right on it to no effect. Have like a ton of case fans, positive setup and still the socket won't just sit back and take anything above 4.8 temp wise. The vrms are being cooled with a corsair high performance 120mm case fan.

Anyways here are some pictures and I look forward to your thoughts on the issue. 2015.jpg 20151.jpg 20152.jpg 20153.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

CORSAIR H75
AMD FX 8370E Clocked at 4.8Ghz O.C
ASROCK 990fx FATALITY KILLER
16GBs HYPER X FURY 1866
AMD SAPPHIRE R9 380 4GB NITRO
SAMGSUNG EVO 850 250GB SSD
1000 WATT EVGA GOLD G2 POWER SUPPLY
CORSAIR CASE
ASUS DVD-RW
(2) RED LED FRONT FANS (TT and Corsair) 120mm
(1) BLACK CORSAIR UPPER CASE INTAKE 120mm
(1) HIGH PERFORMANCE CORSAIR 2350RPM CHIPSETFAN 120mm

Attachments

• 20151105_215551.jpg
    20151105_215551.jpg
    908.8 KB · Views: 2,789
  • 20151105_215306.jpg
    20151105_215306.jpg
    1,017.5 KB · Views: 2,712
No offense, seems like you have a rats nest of wiring too. Good cable management increases airflow, which subsequently increases cooling capabilities.

My cooler is a Corsair H75 and it cools the core pretty well it's just the socket I am having a problem with. Maybe the thermo sensor under the cpu on the socket is has left the building I don't really know. Thanks you read my mind. I already thought about giving my head a turn to p95 and go with the two other stable stresses I ran.

- - - Updated - - -

If you are referring to the wires near the rad that was a photo from a couple days ago, they are all tucked in now. And the rest of my cable management is pretty good and organized.

Yeah that's what i was looking at. Throw a 40mm fan on the back side of the mobo behind the socket and see if that helps. I still don't think you should be hitting that high of a temp on water

I know right? thing is I have the old crap stock fan that came with the 8370e put it right on the backplate to no effect. Usually people have problems with the core but in my case it's the socket I am more worried about.

Oh and as a heads up I have cpuV offset to 100mv, without this the socket hit 85c which I quickly shut down the stress test.

Last edited:
That's definitely a lot of the problem. You're likely at the end of your cooling . The corsair isn't "water" cooling it's an AIO and a small one at that. Your socket temp is maxed and so is your core IMO. Was that shot taken with P95 or Aida. If it was Aida then you're definitely going to get hotter with Prime. Some extra fans will help as Synn pointed out but not enough to keep you stable. If it were mine I would drop back to 4.7 and call it an OC

4.8ghz stable at 1.425v ? Is there that much of a difference between the FX standard and E ?

4.8ghz stable at 1.425v ? Is there that much of a difference between the FX standard and E ?

E series have a lower base clock as an energy efficiency thing. I wouldn't be surprised if they tended to require a little less vcore at their stock clocks as well. I know mine run stock (3.2ghz w/ turbo to 4ghz) at a bit under 1.1v.

At the same time, at 4.5ghz, it requires roughly 1.44vcore, which I am told is quite average.

So it's an FX "light" so to speak ? Like comparing a Duron to an Athlon performance wise as well ?

E series have a lower base clock as an energy efficiency thing. I wouldn't be surprised if they tended to require a little less vcore at their stock clocks as well. I know mine run stock (3.2ghz w/ turbo to 4ghz) at a bit under 1.1v.

At the same time, at 4.5ghz, it requires roughly 1.44vcore, which I am told is quite average.

So it's an FX "light" so to speak ? Like comparing a Duron to an Athlon performance wise as well ?
Here you go guys...confirmation on how it works and the performance numbers. :)

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8427/amd-fx-8370e-cpu-review-vishera-95w

It depends on the model. Didn't the duron have different caches? Or am I going crazy?

The 8320E is the same as an 8320, it just defaults to a lower clock speed for efficiency reasons. On my 8320E, I had it at 4.5ghz, 1.44vcore (when loaded, LLC is too much but the next setting lower is too low) and 60C. My cooling needs an upgrade to see where it stands at higher clocks :)

On the above, that was with my old H80 that got RMA'd. Right now, same settings in bios, but with a 212 EVO I am at 68c as a high.

It depends on the model. Didn't the duron have different caches? Or am I going crazy?.

It did yes, I'm catching up on the E now. Probably would've gone for this instead of a standard if I had known about it at the time since I'm on air as well.

I was reading that when you linked it's good but it's not overclocked isn't it ? For a good comparison you need all CPU's at the same speed. Would the link below do ?

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/amd-fx-8370e-cpu,review-33040.html
I see what you are getting at, but I wouldn't think so in this case. I say that because we are not testing for IPC differences...there are none. Its the same exact chip just with a lower base clock and better binned. So I would think to test it as is would be the most informative type of testing since we know they are going to perform the same at the same clocks already.

That Tom's link does all of that testing though, stock and matching the 8370.

8300 to 9590 all the same chip just binned accordingly

I bought a 8320 for £102 in June and Amazon sent me my 8370, not complaining :D

Back