• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Installing Windows 7 on a samsung 840 ssd or 951 nvme ssd (Asrock z170_

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Firey_chasm

Hi,

I have just build a new rig, but am having some issues installing windows 7 (I was going to install it to then upgrade to windows 10).

Initially I wanted to install to my nvme ssd until I discovered that windows 7 doesn't support installing to these modern drives. I therefore the easiest solution would be to install windows 7 to my Samsung 840 sata 3 ssd, upgrade it to windows 10, then create a boot USB for Windows 10 and install it on the 951 (formatting the 840 at the same time).

However I am getting the following error when I try to install to my 840 (windows installation sees the drive just doesn't let me install to it):
'Windows cannot be installed to this disk. This computer's hardware may not support booting to this disk. Ensure that the disk's controller is enabled in the computer's BIOS menu."

I have tried everything I can think of to no avail. The other thing to note is that my BIOS doesn't 'see' the ssd either. Tt tells me SATA3_0 is empty.

It is in AHCI setting at the moment and I am Installing 64 bit windows 7 from the origonal DVD.

the rest of my PC specs are:

ASRocl z170 Fatality mitx
intel 6700k
32gb corsair vengance memory
Samsung 840 ssd 1TB
Samsung 951 NVMe pci-e M.2 drive

Any ideas at all?

Thanks in advance

I would check in the manual if any of SATA ports isn't disabled when M.2 is in use.
If you see SSD while installing OS but it gives you error that you can't install OS on that drive then best if you clean it from any data and settings ( even if you format it then it will be saved ). To make it you can use manufacturer's software or diskpart command in windows ( command prompt -> diskpart -> list disk -> select disk *disk number from list* -> clean all ).

If you want to keep both SSD in this PC then better idea will be probably to install OS on Samsung 840. It's because you won't see any difference in general OS performance but more often used data ( games or whatever ) will probably work better on Samsung 951. It will also save some space on a faster SSD. That's just what I would do.

I was thinking to get 951 for my ITX PC but Samsung has them only in 2280 format while my board is not supporting it so I stick to SATA SSD for now.

some sata ports are disabled if I use an M.2 data drive, but not if I use a pci-e based M.2 drives ( I clarified this with ASrock before I bought the board). [ I have also tried to 840 plugged into multiple different ports]

So you are saying it is best I plug the 840 ssd into another PC and run the above steps? ( command prompt -> diskpart -> list disk -> select disk *disk number from list* -> clean all )? Or can I use the window I have access to in the win 7 installation to run this?

I will keep both ssd's installed. the 1TB drive is there for games (so that if I reformat etc I wont need to re-download). the 128gb 951 drive was meant for OS and apps. Its almost less about the speed and more about having the two things separated. The other 4 sata ports I have will be used for HDDs for my media.

Thank you for the advise, I hope it works, if there are any other ideas out there as well i am all ears :)

Thanks

That's a bit annoying if I have to do that :(

the M.2 drive is on the underside of the motherboard - I would have to completely deconstruct the case to unplug it, to temporarily install windows 7, to then plug it in again.

Can you disable the M.2 port in the BIOS? I suppose you've already looked/tried that but just in case...

On a different tack, I presume that you are installing Win7 so you can upgrade to Win10 and already have a valid Win7 key. I recall reading that eventually MS plans to allow users authenticate using Win7/Win8 keys.That would eliminate the need to install Win7 first. http://blogs.windows.com/windowsexp...ncing-windows-10-insider-preview-build-10565/

I'm not sure if that is a US thing only or would benefit you.

If you want your install to be done properly, you have to disconnect all the other drives. You don't have to remove the drives from your computer, just disconnect the sata cable.

I'm tempted to give up on the 840 for now and just bite the bullet and try and make a bootable USB win 7 installer. Following something like:
https://communities.intel.com/thread/80552

to install straight onto the nvme drive.

mimart7 - the M.2 drive isn't connected via a sata cable it is plugged in underneath the motherboard.

HankB - interesting about the win 10 possibly accepting win 7 lisences, I would be veryu interested in there was an ETA. Could I installed the windows insider program version, put my key in then rvert back to normal windows 10?

You can try to install it directly to M.2. However I couldn't make that on my board and wasted about 4h trying. You can also install it on 840 and clone it to 951. There is a chance it will work but again takes some additional time.

HankB - interesting about the win 10 possibly accepting win 7 lisences, I would be veryu interested in there was an ETA. Could I installed the windows insider program version, put my key in then rvert back to normal windows 10?
According to the article the media with the version of Win10 that authenticates with a Win7 key is already available.

According to the information I have seen, once Win10 is authenticated on the H/W, a new install will authenticate on the same H/W. According to that, you should be able to install the standard version of Win10 at that point. You can also opt out of further insider previews at any time. I think at that point you will have the most recent preview installed. Eventually the standard version should catch up with the preview since the preview just gets you the features earlier (and perhaps buggier ;) ) than the standard version. If you go this route please post your experience on the Microsoft OS forum as I'm sure your results will interest others. (http://www.overclockers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php/17-Microsoft-Operating-Systems)

(windows installation sees the drive just doesn't let me install to it):
'Windows cannot be installed to this disk.

That's a bug with the installer (Vista and later) when more than 1 drive connected and not in RAID mode. The installer don't like it when you have more than 1 drive in regular BIOS mode.
(You have to unplug the other drive or set the BIOS to RAID mode and make a RAID array.)

That's a bug with the installer (Vista and later) when more than 1 drive connected and not in RAID mode. The installer don't like it when you have more than 1 drive in regular BIOS mode.
(You have to unplug the other drive or set the BIOS to RAID mode and make a RAID array.)

It's actually because it's an NVME drive on Windows 7.
You have to load the driver for it to work.

"On a different tack, I presume that you are installing Win7 so you can upgrade to Win10 and already have a valid Win7 key. I recall reading that eventually MS plans to allow users authenticate using Win7/Win8 keys.That would eliminate the need to install Win7 first. http://blogs.windows.com/windowsexpe...w-build-10565/"

We have a winner! I installed the latest preview build and registered it with my win 7 key
(apparently successfully)

I first tried the following which unfortunately didn't work ( command prompt -> diskpart -> list disk -> select disk *disk number from list* -> clean all )

Back