• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Testing Swiftech MCP-35x Pump

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ProgramGuy

Hi Guys,

I just acquired a used Swiftech MCP-35x pump and I'm trying to test it to make sure its working, and so far its dead. What I've done so far was to fill up a basin with water and then prepared the pump. The outlet, I put in a small piece of tubing and placed it in the basin. I hooked up the molex portion of the pumps power plug to a variable power supply... then I inverted the pump over the basin with the inlet submerged and slowly increased the voltage to 12V and NOTHING! Is there something that I'm doing wrong? I have to admit that I'm a total noob at this. I took apart the pump to check if something was a miss there, but it looks really clean, but I wiped it out just the same.

William

Take a PC power supply, jump start it, then use it to power the pump instead of the variable supply.

Pump is not self priming. Most WC pumps aren't.
Feed it water, don't make it draw air.
It's probably cooked now.

Would it make a sound when running it dry? I held the pump in my hand and it did nothing, no vibration or noise.

In that case, it simply isn't working at all.

Might be worth trying something other than the variable PSU at this point, just to eliminate that possibility from the equation.

these little pumps tend to leak a little and it's right where the wires are soldered to the pump.
as a last resort take it apart and check this little area, if it's gunky, just clean it with a toothbrush and it might do the trick.
it's happened to me more than once.

MCP35X should never 'tend to leak'.

Only time I have heard of them leaking is when their seal has not been seated correctly.

Then this begs the question, how do you hook up this pump. From the molex plug only... from the PWM plug only... or both molex and PWM?

You could do two things.

1. Run the pump via molex and PWM header for full control.

2. Run the pump via molex and no PWM header leaving the pump running at 100% speed by default.

When priming the pumps and bleeding the loop for leak tests, I don't have control of the pumps. I just plug one of them in and it runs at 100%. I than run both to speed up the bleeding process.

You could do two things.

1. Run the pump via molex and PWM header for full control.

2. Run the pump via molex and no PWM header leaving the pump running at 100% speed by default.

When priming the pumps and bleeding the loop for leak tests, I don't have control of the pumps. I just plug one of them in and it runs at 100%. I than run both to speed up the bleeding process.

Thanks for the clarification, this helps out a lot.

Back