• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Please help me decide between Asus Strix GTX 980 ti and EVGA SC+ AC2.0+

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

shaolin95

Hello!
I am debating between an EVGA 980 ti SC+ AC2.0+ (has been slightly modified for aftermaket water cooling which means no warranty I am sure) vs Asus Strix 980 ti with full warranty. The Asus being $65 more but arriving one day earlier as well.
I think the extra $65 are well worth the warranty alone plus the fact that I like the card more and I think it will OC better but just checking with you guys. :attn:

It won't make any difference how it overclocks, that's a silicon lottery.

It won't make any difference how it overclocks, that's a silicon lottery.

Maybe I am off but I felt that for the GTX 980 TI, EVGA has so many different versions that it would seem to me like they are binning the cards a lot and separating into those "levels" so chances of getting a nice clocker are less than say with Asus or Gigabyte for example unless I get the top one from EVGA.
Makes sense?

The only ones binned are the Classified, it's a silicon lottery.

I was under the impression that EVGA doesn't have warranty concerns when changing the aftermarket cooler, just so that if you have to RMA you put the old cooler back on -- is that incorrect (I've never personally owned an EVGA card, at least not a new one, just going by what I remember reading).

But also, ATM is correct, the cards are entirely a lottery.

I was under the impression that EVGA doesn't have warranty concerns when changing the aftermarket cooler, just so that if you have to RMA you put the old cooler back on -- is that incorrect (I've never personally owned an EVGA card, at least not a new one, just going by what I remember reading).

But also, ATM is correct, the cards are entirely a lottery.

Yeah the aftermarket is not an issue but he said he "shaved" some parts a little to fit the cooler so that I think automatically kills the warranty.

if the card is modded avoid it unless it's a once in a life time deal and worth the risk.
I have an evga 970 ftw, it's clocked high at default and not going much beyond that, I lost the lottery.
and the warrany sticker is NOT over a screw.

if the card is modded avoid it unless it's a once in a life time deal and worth the risk.
I have an evga 970 ftw, it's clocked high at default and not going much beyond that, I lost the lottery.

I ended up going with the Strix. Will be here Tuesday! :attn:

Pretty sure the STRIX has hardware limited voltage. At 1.212v I believe. Which sucks. Takes a hardware mod to get around it. I've heard it's pretty easy, but...of course, voids the warranty. The EVGA card will have a 1.256 or 1.262v restriction in the bios, which can be modified with a custom bios...which doesn't void the warranty.

G'luck.

- - - Updated - - -

In order to get the most out of the 970 FTW, you have to use a modded bios file. Just flash the 2nd bios with a bios that has increased power limits, more available voltage and a higher TDP. It's quite easy to do. There's absolutely no reason, unless you're stuck with a 65% or lower ASIC card, that you can't be hitting 1580 or above on the core.

If you want more info, PM me...I'll help ya out.

Pretty sure the STRIX has hardware limited voltage. At 1.212v I believe. Which sucks. Takes a hardware mod to get around it. I've heard it's pretty easy, but...of course, voids the warranty. The EVGA card will have a 1.256 or 1.262v restriction in the bios, which can be modified with a custom bios...which doesn't void the warranty.

1.237v, can also be raised with a custom BIOS, no hardware mod required.

Last edited:
Back