• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Newer computer a little unstable help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I can't find any videos on how to install vrm heat sink? Can't find any heat sinks for my board think I'm going to just add heat sinks if I can

As far as VRM heatsinks, I would recommend these.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835708011

I started putting them on any motherboards I bought that didn't have VRM heatsinks a few years back, and have been quite satisfied thus far.

The package includes some little squares of thermal tape (like double-sided sticky tape, except this tape conducts heat), which you affix/attach one side to the heatsink and then attach the heatsink (with the tape on it) to the mosfet (or mosfets (sometimes you can use one heatsink for two mosfets)). Just apply a little pressure to the heatsink to get it to stick when you're attaching it to make sure it stays on.

Had several of these on my main PC's motherboard for the past five years, and none of them have ever fallen off.

But yes, I would generally recommend buying motherboards with heatsinks attached to the VRM sections/mosfets from the factory. They usually indicate a higher quality motherboard that can better withstand higher heat levels or CPU loads, but are not the only indication of a good board.

Think you guys are right, its heat related.

With putting my pc on heavy load, I hand touched the VRMs, and they are hot as hell, almost to hot to touch by fingers, its bearable but still way to hot then what it should be.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction at least, now I at least know what to do.

Now I know on my next build to look for heat sinks on vrms as well.
Vrm heatsinks are usually a good idea on any board, when it comest to these Fx 8xxx chips it's more then just that. I'm hoping that you putting VRM heatsinks on the board and possibly actively cooling it will help with the issue. Though, with these chips even at stock clock speeds a midrange board with at least a 6+2 Vrm section is the minimum I would try and run one on. If you do decide to look for a new motherboard down the road for the 8350 please ask us for help first. That way you can get a board that will work well with the chip.

Im going to just buy a new board...

If i stick with asus board, will I have to reinstall windows?

Im looking at this board
Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0

You'll most likely need to reinstall no matter what since you'll be moving from a 970 chipset to a 990 chipset.

What's your budget for the board?

can a board make a computer run faster at all? thats why i went cheap on my mobo and guess i ended up paying for it.. Gpu and cpu were more important to me.

What do you think about Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0 ???

probably about 200 max is my budget, but i would like to stay within 1-150.

can a board make a computer run faster at all? thats why i went cheap on my mobo and guess i ended up paying for it.. Gpu and cpu were more important to me.

What do you think about Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0 ???

probably about 200 max is my budget, but i would like to stay within 1-150.
The M5A99FX Pro is a good board, for a mild Oc. You'll probably top out at around 4.5 Ghz is you tried Ocing on that board, I have a similar M5A99x Evo.

You'll most likely need to reinstall no matter what since you'll be moving from a 970 chipset to a 990 chipset.

Maybe. I just went from a sabertooth 990fx to a Asrock 226 WS. Amd to intel, and an odd chipset at that. No re-install required, just some drivers.

Your mileage may vary.

EDIT: Windows 7.

Maybe. I just went from a sabertooth 990fx to a Asrock 226 WS. Amd to intel, and an odd chipset at that. No re-install required, just some drivers.

Your mileage may vary.

EDIT: Windows 7.

Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.
You always want to Sysprep before changing motherboards for sure though.

Ok need help again.

Got the new motherboard put my pc app back together I'm not getting video and 2 of my fans will not spin. Lights turn on but not spinning..

Is my psu not strong enough or what may be the problem? It powers on but no video. Using hdmi to hdmi have no idea if it boots into bios.

CPU seated properly?

GPU seated properly?
Tried a different PCIe slot?

RAM seated properly?

Double checked all power connections?

Built outside the case to verify no shorts?

Well I dont know what happen, I reset the ram, I moved the video card to different slot. I rechecked my cables, I found a HD AUDIO cable not connected, I doubt that was the issue. But its on now, and didnt have to reinstall windows. But you did recommend, or someone recommend that I should do somthing anyways even if windows still worked???

Im on windows 10, and do not have the disk, I had a unlegit windows 7 and booted to windows 10 via internet when they released it.

Last edited:
Back