• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GIGABYTE Target OC Open Target Competition - Nov/Dec 2015

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DaddyTinman

Registered
GIGABYTE announced the Target OC: Open Target challenge. The Open Target challenge will see the overclockers from all corners of the world compete in different cooling and CPU categories for big cash and GIGABYTE Z170 motherboard prizes.

From Nov 8 until Dec 27, contestants will attempt to hit challenging targets in Ambient and Extreme categories using XTU and Geekbench3, with new targets revealed weekly. You may use any GIGABYTE motherboard (no chipset restriction). Contestants have the opportunity to win prizes including Z170X-Gaming 3 and Z170X-SOC FORCE as well as USD $250 for a GFP. There's also a lucky draw of USD $500 and a Z170X-Gaming G1 motherboard for anyone who participates in 6 targets in minimum 2 categories.

▻Competition background is required on screenshot submission
▻a motherboard manufactured by GIGABYTE
▻A verification screenshot is required.
▻Please attach a picture of your overclocking rig.
▻Only members of the enthusiast, novice, rookie league may participate.
▻Use 2 processor core(s) in total.
▻Must use the official stage wallpaper (JPG provided for each stage)

Overview: http://oc-esports.io/#!/round/gbt_targetoc_opentarget

The OC eSports schedule tab for Nov and Dec has links to each stage.

DaddyTinman said:
▻Only members of the enthusiast, novice, rookie league may participate.

This restriction makes no sense if there are ambient and extreme categories. JMO.

Looks like I'm not allowed.

This restriction makes no sense if there are ambient and extreme categories. JMO.

Looks like I'm not allowed.

I don't even want to comment that. Rookies/novice get much more attention on hwbot even though most of them quit after couple of posted results. Those who keep hwbot active have less and less to do there.
I won't even mention about competitions like this ... buy Gigabyte board to have a chance to win Gigabyte board ( the same for MSI, ASUS etc ). It's clear that in open competition you need new series to win anything.

Also once they compete in this comp's extreme challenge they will be excluded from future comp's since they'll be in the extreme league. Just doesn't make sense to me.

Those who keep hwbot active have less and less to do there.

This is why I'm in the process of archiving all my hardware, when I'm done I'll have some serious for sale threads.
Sucks that it came to them doing crap like this, but it only reinforces my decision.

Not being an extreme guy and a casual overclocker, I am looking to submit the stages 1 through 3 using XTU on my Win10 setup. I have to research how to limit the cores to the particular competition requirement (2 cores on my i7 4790K, then 4 cores).

Since Geekbench (and the other benchmarks except for XTU) are WIn10 prohibited, I will build a Win7 boot SSD. The last three stages are Geekbench focused.

I have the X97 Gaming 7 motherboard and have missed out on the other MB manufacturer contests.

I appreciate the perspectives above and hope to grab a point or two in my casual approach in the Enthusiast league for the team.

I haven't really checked the rules but typically you CAN"t use a four core in a two core benchmark. It says so in the rules you posted.
Also the comp is divided into enthusiast and extreme which limits participation for the category only. That way an "elite" couldn't enter the ambient comp and clean house

rules.JPG

I'm just plain out any way. Only have one Giga board and it holds an 8 core CPU which has no category.

Put in my first submission at 929 for Stage One. There are two at the Stage Target of 900 now. One day to refine and resubmit.

Well my question is when did they finally post the targets. Up to a few days agothere was no target posted for stage one.

So I'm a little irritated this morning and need to vent. Stage 2 opened this morning and I made arrangements too be home when it opened. Unfortunately the target numbers we not posted so my time that I set aside was useless. Duo I had to leave for 30 minutes and I come back to find the numbers are up and others have already submitted. Are the comps normally like this our was I just unlucky today. I guess. I need to plan to be around for longer at the start of stage 3.

Sorry for rambling and venting but I've been prepping for this all week just to have it pulled out from under me.

So I'm a little irritated this morning and need to vent. Stage 2 opened this morning and I made arrangements too be home when it opened. Unfortunately the target numbers we not posted so my time that I set aside was useless. Duo I had to leave for 30 minutes and I come back to find the numbers are up and others have already submitted. Are the comps normally like this our was I just unlucky today. I guess. I need to plan to be around for longer at the start of stage 3.

Sorry for rambling and venting but I've been prepping for this all week just to have it pulled out from under me.

This kind of crap from HWBot is part of the reason you see so many FS threads from me lately.
I'd be, basically, penalized for not competing in competitions. Then on the flip side you have to run obscure hardware or deal with issues like you're seeing this morning.

This kind of crap from HWBot is part of the reason you see so many FS threads from me lately.
I'd be, basically, penalized for not competing in competitions. Then on the flip side you have to run obscure hardware or deal with issues like you're seeing this morning.

I normally have not gotten upset about the other comps that I have been in but this one has money/prizes on the line. I also spent all week setting up about 100 different xtu profiles to get me within 1 or 2 points of whatever target they picked.

I know what you mean about the wierd hardware too. There was one competition that required a r7 250 to compete in the one stage. I can understand specifying a certain brand AMD vs Intel or even a specific vendor in the case of this comp. But to have a comp built around running an I5 and then throw in a specific gpu it's kinda worrisome. I almost bought one just to score better and then decided against it.

Get used to it. ;)
HWB will NEVER be convenient for you.

Last edited:
What is the target though? where do you find it?

It is the number next to the bench name on the submit page. You can also find it next to the bench name on the ocesports site for the particular stage.

Back