• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cannot see 2nd ssd in disk management

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Firey_chasm

Hi,
I have just built a new pc:
Asrock fatality z170 itx m/b
32gb ddr4 corsair vengeance
Samsung 951 nvme

And 1tb Samsung 840 evolution (been sat in my draw for a while)

Windows 10 is successfully installed on the 951, however I cannot see the 840 in Windows disk management at all! (bios thinks the sata port is empty)

I have tried plugging it into 3 different sata ports.

Bios is set to ahci, I have also set the sata port to be a solid state drive.
Csm is off and S. M. A. R. T is on.

The windows 10 installation software can see the 840,it let's me create and format a new partition, but it still doesn't appear at all when I reboot to Windows.

I have the Samsung drive magician software installed, that also doesn't see the drive.

I am out of ideas I would assume the motherboard or drive is daily if windows setup couldn't see it.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Power cable is plugged in to the SSD, right?

Which ports did you try, exactly?

As far as I can see, I believe it is the chipset driver which is for the sata controller isn't it?

Got the latest one from ASrock's website

Tried a different SATA cable?

That is weird that it could see it in windows setup but not in the BIOS or in windows. Do you have another machine to plug it into and see if it is recognized there?

That is one of the things I want to try next (in a different PC), I will try a different sata cable.

But yes the windows setup is what has me completely baffled! Makes me feel I am missing something obvious. I might try actually installing windows 10 to it, then if that works, booting back into my 1st version of win10 and seeing if I can see the drive then.

I also tried the samsung 840 firmware update (loaded it onto a usb stick and booted from it) that couldn't find the drive either.

Yeah that's not a bad idea to try doing that (install and then set the other drive as boot)

I know it's not the same board but on my X99, if I set it to use a PCI SSD then some of the sata ports are disabled. Have you tried a different SATA port on the board? I do know some boards can be fussy about drive placement

I had the same initial thought - I clarified with ASrock before buying the board and they testsed and confirmed if I used a pci-e based M2 drive all 6 sata ports should work. if I used a sata based M2 drive then 2 are disabled.

With that in mind that is why I have tried 3 different sata ports

I had the same initial thought - I clarified with ASrock before buying the board and they testsed and confirmed if I used a pci-e based M2 drive all 6 sata ports should work. if I used a sata based M2 drive then 2 are disabled.

And that was exactly why I asked before, but your spread of ports would cover that.

That's not the way I read your manual, that SSD plugs into the M2 slot so I would think 0 and 1 are disabled.

That's not the way I read your manual, that SSD plugs into the M2 slot so I would think 0 and 1 are disabled.

It says:

"If M2_1 is occupied by a SATA-type M.2 device, SATA3_0, SATA3_1 and the SATA function of SATA_EXP0 will be disabled."

I am not using a sata type device, and I also confirmed with asrock support who kindly tested it for me before I bought. But as atm mentioned, this is why I tried multiple ports.

An update on my side. I successfully installed windows 10 on the devise, but couldn't boot to it (it got to the stage where it restarted my pc- I couldn't see the drive to boot to Windows on though). I then plugged it into another pc(but powered from the new pc's psu) and it appeared just fine.

So it is something to do with my new pc, I also think the sata port is working just fine since I could install Windows, so I assume it is a bios setting or a driver issue, but still no idea what :(

Sata controller(s) is enables
Sata mode selection is AHCI
Sata aggresive link power management is enabled (I have tried it disabled)
Hard disk S.M.A.R.T is enabled

The sata port that the drive is plugged into
has the following options:
External sata - disabled
Hot plug Enabled
Sata device type Solid state drive

Boot manager is enabled
However the only boot device I can select is my blu-ray drive (plugged into another sata port) - no M.2 drive and no sata ssd

Secure boot is enabled
Boot option priorities lets me select the M.2 drive or my blu-ray drive but no sata

so option 1 is currently my M.2 drive
option 2 is blu-ray

Fast boot is disabled

I realized I had installed windows in legacy mode rather than UEFI, so will need to fix that - but I dont think that would cause the issues I am seeing

Disable the Boot Manager, see if that allows more manual fiddling with settings. You may have a conflict between the MS disk management and the BIOS Boot Manager. Maybe not. Something to try.

DFW area.

phew. Resolved.

Firstly, there was a bios update out today - I installed that (no change)
Then I unplugged the sata drive, reset the cmos and reinstalled windows 10 64 bit in UEFI mode
Then Installed all my drivers etc
Then got another SATA cable and plugged it into another port.
Booted up and there it was :)

Not sure exactly which step cured it! I just wanted to do everything clean!

Thanks for the help on this one guys, I was totally stumped

Back