• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Memory usage just creeps creeping up to 99%

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JT!

memorystuff.png

Nothing seems to show the program that's the issue.

Fresh restart puts my ram starting out at 25% which seems way to high and isn't reflected in the loaded programs.

It'll take about 40ish hours but will creep all the way up to 99% crippling my PC.

I have 16gb of ram so this shouldn't be an issue.

I've never dealt an issue like this so I'm stumped. :shock:

Windows 10. General hardware you'd find on a low-mid gaming rig. Can go into more detail if necessary.

Are you experiencing this after doing a specific task or does this happen if you just turn your computer on and let it sit.

Not saying its your issue, but a while back I was having this problem. Google Chromium, talk/hangouts specifically, turned out to be the cause. Although usage was normal/low after boot, so IDK.

I have all my programs start automatically, but it doesn't seem to be anything I do, it just creeps up over a couple of days.

Virus scan found nothing.

Can you post a screenshot of the list of your startup programs?
You'll find this in Task Manager on Win10.

That is a LOT on startup, go through and disable all but the bare minimum and see if your problem disappears

That is a LOT on startup, go through and disable all but the bare minimum and see if your problem disappears

+1

Also , it might be worth a look in to this , along with running a good anti virus and Malwarebytes. I see you have AVG. Not generally my first choice , but definitely one of my first suspects with your memory issues.
oc.jpg

JT,

Get this from Microsoft, it won't guess any "not measured."

Process Explorer v16.05

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/processexplorer.aspx

You also need to consider a reboot from time to time. Many of these programs are memory
suckers that don't give it all back when not being used. I have still AVG and while it's a hog
at startup it doesn't add or subtract much either way once it's booted at startup. As already
stated you need to back off your startup programs and put their shortcuts on your desktop.

JT,

Get this from Microsoft, it won't guess any "not measured."

Process Explorer v16.05

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/processexplorer.aspx

You also need to consider a reboot from time to time. Many of these programs are memory
suckers that don't give it all back when not being used. I have still AVG and while it's a hog
at startup it doesn't add or subtract much either way once it's booted at startup. As already
stated you need to back off your startup programs and put their shortcuts on your desktop.

I would watch one of the Mark Russianovich videos to understand Process Explorer.

I do see a lot of stuff in the startup that can be kicked to the curb.

Bump, reinstalled windows 10, downloaded the basic stuff and general apps, same problem. Sat at 97% right now.

Bump, reinstalled windows 10, downloaded the basic stuff and general apps, same problem. Sat at 97% right now.

What programs are using it all? It's hard to read your pictures
but do you show seven instances of Chrome open?

If your startup is still the same as above, you can get rid of a number of things. I would take the following out of the Startup:

Any DVD

Apple Push

Ask Toolbar Notifier (Ask Toolbar should be uninstalled)

Astidog

Camera Fixer

Dropbox

Groove Monitor

Hamachi

Itunes

Java

Logitech Webacm

PowerDVD

Any of the HP Printer Software

Sighthound

Spotify

Steam

Vprotect (It may be malware according to some)

Win TV Tray.

None of these apps are needed to boot a computer. There are more that you can kick to the curb.

Last edited:
Sorry for the late replay, work in retail.

I really thought a fresh install would nuke the problem out of existence. If I thought it'd still be an issue I would have added one thing at a time.

I guess I'll go over and remove one thing at a time and see what happens. But it does usually take more than 24 hours to reach high levels of usage, so I guess it could take a while till I narrow it down. I'll retake a screenshot of my startup programs and post it up here and if anyone can suggest any things that'll be more likely to cause the problem I'll try them first. :thup:

I have to ask, is your Windows license legit? Is the other software on your machine licensed?

Back