• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

need an upgrade

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

arcanise

hey guys long time no see, as some of you know i am a computer tech and everything but as of late i've been overwhelmed with work and husband to-do lists and have not kept up on everything

in short i have 2 GTX 465's and i want an upgrade to a single card running on pci express 2.0 (as its what my mobo can handle) i want single card to give my PSU a break and to increase performance

my big question is if there is a single GPU that goes in pci 2.0 that outperforms my dual 465's both on core count and VRAM

The gtx 900 series will still work on pcie 2.0. How much are you looking to spend though.

I think i see a 970 getting ready to appear in his sig, big bang for the buck.

i'd like to keep it around $200 and out perform my dual 465's

Assuming you want to stay with nvidia you are looking at a gtx 960 in that price range unless you can find a good deal on a gtx 970. Either would most likely outperform the 465s and use less power to do it.

and the 960 will work just fine on my old pci express 2.0?

- - - Updated - - -

nvm quick google search shows that it will

do you still fold?
if you do the 970 is about king, under linux they turn about 300,000 ppd and a dual boot system is easy, peasy.
HayesK hand held me through it and the whole thread is copy and paste.

If you're OK with switching from Nvidia you could likely get a used 290 for a bit over $200 if you want more performance than a 960, but stay away from reference models.

290's are very good cards also, but with a reference cooler they are loud as all get out, so loud that I traded one off for a watch.

I say wait the 1000 series will be dropping soon if you can wait, do so youd get more bang for your buck at the 200 mark

I would not bet on a 1060 class card being released in the next few months. You might see a 1080 class card in Q1 2016 butt I would not bank on a 1060 class card until late Q3 or Q4 of 2016 at the earliest.

Back