• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

quick question on cold-prepping a 2011 board

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

funsoul

For ln2, should i remove the cpu holdown assembly and backplate (rive-be), coat all around with LET then re-assemble or am I fine not removing the assembly/backplate and coating tight around all the edges of LET? The rest of the board is already covered. Hoping to seal the cpu in with electrical tape (non-liquid), eraser, then eraser around the whole assembly in to the edges of the cpu.

You've got the right idea. I didn't insulate under the assembly. I put the CPU in and used eraser to seal around the IHS, down the CPU holddown and to the board itself. That way, everything was sealed from the board on up to the IHS. Just don't press the eraser too hard and get it jammed down in the socket itself, which is entirely possible and wouldn't end well. Then for the rest I used frost king insulation.

My CPU was awful (early ES of a 3960X that had a hard 5.1 GHz cap), but it ran like that for quite a while to run 3D benches with no issues.

Thanks hokie! Cool man...will proceed that way then use a layer or 2 of frostking around the socket then cover it with a layer of shamwow.

Witchyman....if i keep it? Huh? Not quite following you.

sent the original rods with the F1 as well as 4mm rods that will thread into x99 if you keep the retainer on

Back