• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Should I? (attention win 10 users)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ano

Right, so I'm wondering whether I should upgrade my laptop from win 8.1 to win 10. I still run win 7 on my desktop pc, because I've heard that one might have some win 10 activation issues after upgrading components. But because I won't upgrade my laptop's components, I've been thinking if upgrading the OS improves performance and brings a positive change to old OS etc. My laptop also has a touch screen and I'm worried if the drivers still work on win 10 or whether the OS is optimized for touch commands. On top of that I'm concerned about those privacy settings

To sum it up:

1. Do I benefit if I upgrade to windows 10?
2. Compatibility?
3. Is upgrading worth it?

Thanks in advance!

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and by the way laptop is Asus TP300LA

It depends on whether you are having any current issues with Windows 8.
If not, maybe wait until just before the July deadline to update to the latest build of Windows 10 for free, it's changing all the time, they're ironing out the kinks... it's getting better & better...

Do it before July then revert back if you want but if you install Windows 10 once before July then you can install it for free again in the future.

Otherwise really only upgrade now if you have issues...

I would say no, it's not worth it. I upgraded one of my pcs from win7 and wish I didn't. It took almost a week just to get it semi stable, then near a month to where it didn't have some random weird thing happen every time I started up. My other pc fails the upgrade half way through so it is staying win7. Not to mention that I think it looks horrible imo. It's too plain looking for me.

I upgraded my laptop a while ago and have only ran into one problem. I was using touchpad drivers that were for a different model laptop because it had better gestures. Windows 10 installed newer drivers, I uninstalled them, installed the old ones, and blocked that driver in Windows update. A month later Windows update installed a different newer driver and I had to go through the same thing. The next time I used the laptop it did it again, not sure if it was a different driver or if it will only block a driver update for so long. I only use the thing once every few months and it seems like every time it is trying to install a driver that disables the gestures.

I updated my desktop a few days ago and haven't had any problems other than lack of customizing the start menu. You can't just right click and remove something from the all apps list, you have to go the folder locations and delete them there. (There are three separate folders that hold the shortcuts). There are also a few things you can't remove from the list like the Xbox and OneNote Apps. Even if you install the full version of OneNote you can't get rid of the shortcut to the app.

Back