• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how to set up z170 for benching...xp install, 7B bsods :(

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

funsoul

Hi Folks!

Starting to set up for some z170/6700k benching and having trouble already :(

Working to get the operating systems, apps, tools, etc installed and when installing xp keep getting the 7B bsod :(

First tried the cd drive and boot drive connected to the intel ports. There's no option to run them in ide mode (which is better for high bclk iirc) but tried anyway. Before getting to the point of having control of the xp install, get the 7B bsod. then tried connecting the boot drive to one of the asmedia sata ports (set to ide mode), 7B again. Same happens with the cd drive connected to one of the asmedia ports.

Any ideas?
tia!

7b is generally related to ide/legacy instead of ahci/raid. You may need to see about injecting the proper drivers into your xp install to see if that does the trick.

Z170 has no IDE mode. To install XP you have to make bootable USB and use modified SATA driver. There are no standard SATA drivers too as Intel is not supporting XP.
You can use one of the XP/W7 USB install guides. However I wasn't able to install XP using ASUS guide and I wasted like 4h trying. It was installing but couldn't boot later.
If you compare test results then Win7 performs about the same if not better than XP in most benchmarks.

Thanks guys

Yeah...definitely an ahci issue. How the heck do you use the "Tools and files for W7/XP USB installation" and/or "AHCI drivers for XP"? I can't find detailed instructions on either. Tried hitting 'S' to load a driver during the install process but the system refuses to find anything. Am using an add-on pcie-usb2 card (with kbd, mouse and usb with the ahci drivers).

PS...since we're on the topic. Should I use an ssd instead of a sata drive? Always used sata in ide mode as iirc it's better for bclk overclocking. If it's better to use ssd....should I go single in ahci mode or slap 2-4 together into a raid0 array?

Read through the guide a few times...still not getting it at all :( Shot MetalRacer a pm as he's got the same build...hopefully he'll be able to chime in

If you make it in an easy way then maybe post quick guide for the Benching Team. I doubt that other users will be interested to install WinXP on a new platform ;)
As I said, I was trying this ASUS guide and one more ( I don't remember where I found it ) but in both cases I couldn't make WinXP to boot.

Yeah...i've kind of given up atm. Switched to the rivebe/4930k build and started setting up the benching drive last night.

Have a few folks with the same setup who are going to try to get xp installed this week. Hopefully at least one of them gets it working. Once I learn how to do it, will certainly post a write-up. XP is still the best os for some 2d's and one or 2 3d's.

Tried all day yesterday to get xp installed with no luck

Funsoul are you blue screening before or after xp installs?

And there's a IDE mode with the asmedia ports sata_a1-a4 but i had no luck with it

You know you are a dedicated Overclocker when you use XP to squeeze out a few extra points on the benchmarks.:attn: Rock on brutha!

Thanks Suppressor1137

Yes...a group of sick individuals but we have a lot of fun doing it

Funsoul on the ASrock board need to use a cd or dvd drive. plug HDD\SSD and cd\dvd into the asmedia ports and set to IDE.Need to use usb mouse\keyboard and in bios set usb to ps\2 emulator

untitled.JPG

Awesome job QuickFast!!!! Will try it again later this week and report back.

Did you use any old xp image or the one I linked? Did you just run a normal install or have to inject anything using nlite or something?

Installed it as I was on z77(normal) but had to try 4 different xp install cd's before it saw the boot loader\NTLDR so keep throwing different cd\dvd in until it see's it

Back