• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

360/420 or 280+120?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Finding a copper/brass rad from a car? Prolly not. But many have used aluminum car rads and run anti-freeze for really cold water temps. But then you worry about condensation on the mobo.

Putting a rad outside was the original reason why I wanted to get a bigger rad, but I have strictly forbidden from hanging a rad out my window. Dad says no :(

I have access to foams so I could insulate the lines and help stop most condensation, but I would rather not have to smother eraser or tissue in slots and around the socket. No sub ambient for me {for now}

That might be a good thing SP..... good luck with your build. Should have picked up some of those PWM GT's from DAZMODE while you were ordering.

That might be a good thing SP..... good luck with your build. Should have picked up some of those PWM GT's from DAZMODE while you were ordering.

Thought of that after :-/
Oh well, at least I can put the points I got from the rad purchase towards the fans.

I'm reading that I only need a push OR pull setup with this rad. Is that true?
If so what fans would I need, just the GT's?

I guess I can choose from a huge variety since this rad is only 8 FPI.

Those gt's either the PWM or the 2100rpm with a controller will work fine. I looked up your rad this am.... Think it's 6FPI so fans not as big an issue as with the high FPI rads like my GTX Extreme. Mind you that's a Thicker rad so good fans would be a good thing.

Had my rig outside today..... took 4 hours to dry off after bringing it back inside from condensation. Made a big difference after cleaning plastisiser out of it..... no more Darkside tube for me have some Primochill coming wish they had had it last time when I ordered my fittings. 5.7G and only pushing 32*C core temps but not worth the hassle I think.

Those gt's either the PWM or the 2100rpm with a controller will work fine. I looked up your rad this am.... Think it's 6FPI so fans not as big an issue as with the high FPI rads like my GTX Extreme. Mind you that's a Thicker rad so good fans would be a good thing.

Had my rig outside today..... took 4 hours to dry off after bringing it back inside from condensation. Made a big difference after cleaning plastisiser out of it..... no more Darkside tube for me have some Primochill coming wish they had had it last time when I ordered my fittings. 5.7G and only pushing 32*C core temps but not worth the hassle I think.

Sounds good, I'll look into fans tonight maybe. I think I can fit the rad in the case as is if I move the PSU around :thup:
What's this about plasticizer in Darkside tubing????

I'm wondering about the braided PVC tubing I have installed. It's clouded, which doesn't bother me at all, but I wonder about plasticizer. It's non-toxic FDA approved and stiff as ever. Maybe there is no plasticizer in it? :shrug:

Yes ...... its rebranded Fesser Tube. Unfortunately the only Primochill they have is 3/8" X 1/2" stuff. If you bought Darkside Tube you will have some extra cleaning a little more often. Its not terrible but not great.

Yes ...... its rebranded Fesser Tube. Unfortunately the only Primochill they have is 3/8" X 1/2" stuff. If you bought Darkside Tube you will have some extra cleaning a little more often. Its not terrible but not great.

That's unfortunate to hear... :(

At least the rads were decently priced.
PPC's wanted $40+ USD to ship to me, not a chance., so I supported Dazmode instead :)

Put it this way it was not much worse then the old Primochill tube everyone had issues with. I didn't see an coating on the barbs it just seemed to collect in the micro channels of my CPU block.

Putting a rad outside was the original reason why I wanted to get a bigger rad, but I have strictly forbidden from hanging a rad out my window. Dad says no :(

I have access to foams so I could insulate the lines and help stop most condensation, but I would rather not have to smother eraser or tissue in slots and around the socket. No sub ambient for me {for now}

Yea, going sub ambient can be an issue. If you don't have the budget to replace the 'smoked' bits, it can get 'problematic'. Meaning No PC. Ack.

Finding a copper/brass rad from a car? Prolly not. But many have used aluminum car rads and run anti-freeze for really cold water temps. But then you worry about condensation on the mobo.

Yea your right, you would have to setup a heat exchanger to regulate temps. but it would move the heat outside.

Yea, going sub ambient can be an issue. If you don't have the budget to replace the 'smoked' bits, it can get 'problematic'. Meaning No PC. Ack.
I hardly have any money for fans now! :p
Well, I do, but I'm trying to save up for my own place.

Anyways, what fans should I get for this rad? The GT's come well recommended I hear, but $25/fan?
There must be something else that's good. Yate Loon mediums? Those should work since the FPI is low right? Corsair SP?

Push? Pull? Push+Pull? :shrug:

GT's are alot because they are some of the quietest out there. If you really want it silent and cool, GTs are it. If you really don't care for noise level and don't want to spend that much, go with the budget rad fans like loons or Helix, etc.

GT's are alot because they are some of the quietest out there. If you really want it silent and cool, GTs are it. If you really don't care for noise level and don't want to spend that much, go with the budget rad fans like loons or Helix, etc.

I don't mind the sound of fans. My room is far too quiet without the rig running, lol helps me sleep.
I'll look at the helix fans, IIRC you mentioned those fans to me a few months back.

Back