• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

360/420 or 280+120?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Silver_Pharaoh

Likes the big ones n00b Member
Looking to get my chip cooler as I'm hitting the thermal limits of AMD...
This was 15 min of Prime95. Last run at 4.6Ghz was a few hours and I hit 60C max, averaging about 58C
4.7Ghz.PNG

So I'm wondering if getting a larger rad would help here. Either a thick 360 or 420, or maybe just add a thick 120 to my current loop.
Before I tore down and switch cases, the water temps under full load running for 4 hours was 40.7C
I have:
MCP655-E with the EK pump top
Black Ice Nemesis 280 (or Stealth 280... can't remember. 30FPI IIRC)
And the EK EVO Supremacy CPU block for AMD.

So, bigger rad?

I'd prolly go with a 120.2 50mm or 80mm if you got the bawz. lol

I hope you're using blowers on that 30 FPI rad.

Also, are you using a GPU(s) to the loop?

You should probably measure the temperature of the water and see what your delta T is SP. My Dt on 8350 with the Thermochill Pa 120.3 after an hours of prime is around 5c. If your DT is like 15c then adding raddage will help, if it's closer to mine then don't bother.

much bigger!!!
:thup: :D
I'd prolly go with a 120.2 50mm or 80mm if you got the bawz. lol

I hope you're using blowers on that 30 FPI rad.

Also, are you using a GPU(s) to the loop?
2 Yate Loon Mediums, and 2 NZXT fans - all 140mm. Loons are exhaust, NZXT are rad intake.

Just the CPU - no plans for GPU watercooling as the GTX 780 wont overclock as it is. Blast that stupid 106% power target :mad:
You should probably measure the temperature of the water and see what your delta T is SP. My Dt on 8350 with the Thermochill Pa 120.3 after an hours of prime is around 5c. If your DT is like 15c then adding raddage will help, if it's closer to mine then don't bother.
I will test right now.
Last time I calculated, it was 40.7C water temps with ambient temps of about 23C. So about 17C delta

you see how this works don't you?
we get you in with the low hanging fruit, more rad, more fans, then you find you left about 2 degrees on the table because you picked another block and then you'll want the 380 block...............

you see how this works don't you?
we get you in with the low hanging fruit, more rad, more fans, then you find you left about 2 degrees on the table because you picked another block and then you'll want the 380 block...............
Hehehe every degree counts! :D

Okay so P95 has be "blending" for 45Min. Ambient temps are 26.3C, water temps are 37C so 10.7C delta.
Clearly, cleaning out the dye gunk that was stuck in the rad has helped.

Now, the chip is Blend stable - no dropped workers, BUT I'm getting WHEA errors in event viewer meaning the chip needs another bump.
I'm already at 10.7C delta so another 280 or one larger 360 rad would​ be beneficial correct?

Here's a screenie:
37C.PNG

a bigger, not another of the same.
you might as well just settle it in your mind that you're going to get the super nova to cool the 8 core that's dancing in your head.....................

It's a never ending vicious circle now SP....... more.... more..... more. Sometimes it gets hard to draw a line you don't want to cross and not do that upgrade that will net you that extra 1*C of temp.:clap::screwy:

It's a never ending vicious circle now SP....... more.... more..... more. Sometimes it gets hard to draw a line you don't want to cross and not do that upgrade that will net you that extra 1*C of temp.:clap::screwy:

Or points. :p

Prepare for the future now young man... before you have to pay twice as much later. :)

peronallyid go with a larger rad.putting another 120mm might help a little but you would get flow-rate loss due to it going through another radiator

peronallyid go with a larger rad.putting another 120mm might help a little but you would get flow-rate loss due to it going through another radiator

With today's pumps, you should have no issue at all as well as most rads out there have been tested to be flow friendly.

Decent. A 120x1 rad is NOT good for 400 watts. It's good for about 100 watts unless you want 4000 RPM 38mm thick fans.

FPI on that rad is 13 FPI, and thickness is pretty thick, make sure it fits.

400 watts to cool? a 120x4 rad. Less, adjust as needed.

Decent. A 120x1 rad is NOT good for 400 watts. It's good for about 100 watts unless you want 4000 RPM 38mm thick fans.

FPI on that rad is 13 FPI, and thickness is pretty thick, make sure it fits.

400 watts to cool? a 120x4 rad. Less, adjust as needed.
No less than a 480 then?

Or perhaps a thick, high FPI 420?

Grab a 480 and some of THESE! Basically AP-15s converted to PWM. :drool::drool::drool::drool::drool:

If I don't use up my funds during black friday week or cyber monday, I might be purchasing these or a AQ6 if I can get a guarantee that my pumps will work on it. Decisions, decision! lol

Grab a 480 and some of THESE! Basically AP-15s converted to PWM. :drool::drool::drool::drool::drool:

If I don't use up my funds during black friday week or cyber monday, I might be purchasing these or a AQ6 if I can get a guarantee that my pumps will work on it. Decisions, decision! lol

I'll start shopping around.
Not buying yet though, just wanted everyone's opinions on what to get :)

Back