• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

360/420 or 280+120?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
There really isn't. DazMode is it for now but they are getting bigger slowly. Some of their own brand .... Darkside ...... is just re branded stuff like Fesser and EK. Some is not bad some is ....meh but they do have some unique items there.

Glad to hear that they are getting bigger :)

So we are all in agreeance here? Get a larger rad?
Would a 480 be overkill at all?

Glad to hear that they are getting bigger :)

So we are all in agreeance here? Get a larger rad?
Would a 480 be overkill at all?

Are you going to use the other rad as well or just use the 480?

Thing is, the other rad needs high FPI fans in order to run efficiently otherwise its not close to its full potential. If you want to go quiet, just grab the 480 and never look back. If you're still keeping the other rad in the loop, I'd probably go less unless your'e looking to SLI or Xfire and want best Delta-Temps possible.

Are you going to use the other rad as well or just use the 480?

Thing is, the other rad needs high FPI fans in order to run efficiently otherwise its not close to its full potential. If you want to go quiet, just grab the 480 and never look back. If you're still keeping the other rad in the loop, I'd probably go less unless your'e looking to SLI or Xfire and want best Delta-Temps possible.

I would prefer to use the rad I have now and get another 280 or smaller rad, however it seems the general census is to get a larger rad..

Other rad needs high FPI fans... You mean the fans I have now aren't enough for my current rad?

You mean the fans I have now aren't enough for my current rad?

I meant on the one you have now. I think you need to push it at a minimum 2200 RPM on the 30 FPI rad. Reason why I say that is because on the lower FPI rads, 2200 RPM is the magic number that achieves roughly the 100w per 120.1. Its been so long ago when the high FPI rads were slowly being phased out, basically 5 years ago when I started water cooling and the magic number I saw most of the time was 3000 RPM. lol The thing is, it comes down to cost and if its worth price vs. performance. We know P/P will utilize the radiators potential better than P or P but is it worth the added cost for an extra set of fans versus purchasing more rad. For example in my case, if I were to replace all my rad fans (Helix120s) to a premium brand (AP-53s/eLoops), it would cost me almost $500 for P/P where as if I were to add say a 360 or 480, it would only cost anywhere from $120-$150. I think buying more rad in the end was my point and not sure why I just explained that but after watching "Shark Tank" this came to mind. :screwy:

In the end, its up to you if you want to go with the same high FPI rad and just keep it simple or go with a bigger rad where one rad will need a higher volume of air flow vs. one that doesn't. I'm not sure if noise level will bother you either. If you were to purchase the same high FPI rad, my OCD says keep them all the same, than have a bunch of yate loons on them in P/P since they aren't too pricey @ a steady 2200 RPM and call it a day and you should have the option to push even higher RPM with those fans if I recall correctly.

I don't mind the fan noise, I like the sound of the Yate loon mediums I have and the NZXT's on medium settings are quite quiet.

So it's totally up to me then, get another 280 or just one big 420....
Need to think about it, it really depends on where I can mount the rad enclosure I have to make

Performace PC's has some Hardwarelabs rads on sale for black friday.

So I'll be looking for options. I'll post some links to the rads I think will work, hopefully everyone will agree on the rads and I can get one tomorrow :)

you're better off with one larger cooler than two smaller coolers.

So a 420 over two 280's?
But the 2 280's would provide more total cooling power no?

Or is it all in the rad's thickness? One fat 420 vs two thinner 280's...

Good rad that's what they used to replace my GTX Extreme rad. Should do you well.

What I would do to swap my SR1s for the new multi-port SR2s. :drool:
Other than the multiport, is there any difference in terms of cooling power?
Good rad that's what they used to replace my GTX Extreme rad. Should do you well.
Yeah it looks beefy enough. I'm thinking of going 120mm so I have more fans choices/ better fans.
get with the program silver!!!! this>>>>>>>>http://www.performance-pcs.com/phobya-xtreme-supernova-1260-radiator-full-copper.html <<<<< is what you want!!!!!
I can even fit that in the case!!!
I'd have to hang it outside!

Which works out well actually :)

What about the XSPC RX360?
I see Dazmode has 2 left in stock as he reserved 2 for a build. Says they were never underwater. $94 CAD

RX is a higher FPI. RS was the lower FPI. I have a RS used it for quite a while. Good product. The RX just needs to have a bit more fannage, like 2000+ to make it work well. I think Skinnee or Martin has data on these rads.

Last edited:
Went ahead and bought the XSPC RX360 V2 rad from Dazmode. $112 Shipped. He only has 1 left in stock now :)

Perhaps with this rad I can reduce the fan noise? :shrug:
Either way, this rad looks to out preform the GTS280 I have now.

Back