• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PROJECT LOG FNG- First post and build log thread- Custom Parvum/SLI/Water Cooled PC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
My advice, for someone that probably isn't as computer savvy, go Intel.

If it was yours or mine, I would say go for it, but for someone else give it some thought.
The FX CPU's are great, but sometimes they really need some tweaking.

You're right, the Geforce Experience software has a built in capture software.
This is the only software (that I'm aware of) that takes advantage of this encoder.

Ok so what do I get my brother then that's comparable to this FX build on the intel side?

In a bit I will be listing where the wife's build is at..........

Anything that's current Intel (1150, 1151) and 4c/4t will smoke an FX for gaming.

Guess the easiest thing then is to keep the Z87 board and find an i5 for him........

What's your opinion of a GTX 770 Lighning GPU? Good sub $200 pickup?

The 770 Lightning is definitely solid, but 2GB of vRAM will be somewhat limiting for 1080p gaming.
I'd up it to a 970 if possible, but if it isn't then no worries.

The 770 Lightning is definitely solid, but 2GB of vRAM will be somewhat limiting for 1080p gaming.
I'd up it to a 970 if possible, but if it isn't then no worries.

Yeah I will wait for a deal on a 970 or another 4GB 960 deal........

So the wife's build will have a custom loop not because it's needed but more so for looks to add some color. I got her a smoking deal on an MSI 750 TI OC on black Friday was like $75, and got her an EK water block for it. She has a supremacy EVO too, and I am thinking of an 860K or FX 6300 for her build. This will be here email surfing the net PC but be in the living room for her and the girls to use together for youtube kids and my oldest daughter 8 is dying to start on Minecraft soon after a holiday visit north to family's house.

She has 8GB of Corsair LP Ram, an EVGA 650W PSU that I might steal for my build not sure yet, and clear tubing and chrome fittings and the mayhems white concentrate to add color to. I was going to go with an i3 4160 and H81 mitx mobo but feel she might be better served the AMD route on this one we shall see......

Again input is welcomed on this setup. This will be hooked to the flat screen in the living room hence the 750 Ti I feel will be fine for 60FPS max on a 1080P tv screen :)

Let's use this as a starting point for her build:
https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Evil-MOBO/saved/#view=hLCxFT

The stuff with $0.00 for price is already on hand.

Last edited:
4+1 VRM and no heatsink on the VRM? Bleh motherboard.
If you're looking for a budget AM3+ board, don't look at anything less than the UD3P.

Also, you'll want a case with good airflow.
Planning on a better heatsink than stock?

4+1 VRM and no heatsink on the VRM? Bleh motherboard.
If you're looking for a budget AM3+ board, don't look at anything less than the UD3P.

Also, you'll want a case with good airflow.
Planning on a better heatsink than stock?

The 6300 build for my brother?

Yes for his I plan on an aftermarket heatsink or maybe an AIO. I have not gotten to the case decision yet. I like to try and nail down a good idea on the parts being used then pick the case, I have found this is easier than the other way around unless you HAVE to use a particular case for whatever reason, which is not the situation here.

The 6300 build for my brother?

Yes for his I plan on an aftermarket heatsink or maybe an AIO. I have not gotten to the case decision yet. I like to try and nail down a good idea on the parts being used then pick the case, I have found this is easier than the other way around unless you HAVE to use a particular case for whatever reason, which is not the situation here.

Yes, the 6300 build.

Unless you're pushing for a big OC, stick to a heatsink. If you're using an AIO you'll need to rig up a fan on the socket area.
You'll be looking for either a mid tower or full tower either way with AM3+ so form factor isn't an issue here.

Yes, the 6300 build.

Unless you're pushing for a big OC, stick to a heatsink. If you're using an AIO you'll need to rig up a fan on the socket area.
You'll be looking for either a mid tower or full tower either way with AM3+ so form factor isn't an issue here.

How do you think an 860K would fare with a GTX 960 for 1080P gaming vs the 6300...... this is the debate I keep going back and forth on for his build......

So what intel chip?

For my nephews build will the i3 4160 I have do anything for him over the Pentium or should I just get him an i5 as well........

Both questions answered

Anything that's current Intel (1150, 1151) and 4c/4t will smoke an FX for gaming.

If you're doing an upgrade, since he's capturing the game, definitely go to something that's either 4c/4t or 4c/8t.
Is he using ShadowPlay to capture? If not, he should be.

No worries, just didn't feel like typing it all again :)

Yeah, the i3/750Ti should be fine for her.

Valid Point and I don't know the answer both new to PC's and PC gaming.......

Back