• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PROJECT LOG FNG- First post and build log thread- Custom Parvum/SLI/Water Cooled PC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Evil-Mobo

FNG- First post and build log thread- Z170 Gaming Build, AMD 860K Build for Wife

Well, for reasons I care not to get into as I am moving on the crazy over the top build has turned into something to get me benching and gaming for now to wait for Zen and Pascal. In the midst of this I already built my nephew a budget 1080p CSGP 60FPS machine, and in the process of building my wife, and myself a PC.

Brother's Build on hold for a bit, he says he needs new tires for his truck so that will be his B-Day gift :)

Up first is the wife's build:
https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Evil-MOBO/saved/#view=hp2J7P

My X99 Rig:
https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Evil-MOBO/saved/#view=kj9gXL

Thanks for reading :thup:

Last edited:
Going to be a nice build to see that 4790K/OC Formula in, I expect you'll end up at either 4.8 or 4.9 for daily usage :D

Going to be a nice build to see that 4790K/OC Formula in, I expect you'll end up at either 4.8 or 4.9 for daily usage :D

I would be VERY happy if I did, I will be shooting for the highest possible :D

ram and psu are missing right off the top.

if it's ATMINSIDES stuff you'll be at 4.9.

ram and psu are missing right off the top.

if it's ATMINSIDES stuff you'll be at 4.9.

That's good to know, and yes I know the RAM and PSU are missing, trying to decide between an 850 or a 1050 and then decide on RAM, but should be a lot less than the DDR4 for the skylake PC was.......

:D

Caddi, it is my stuff, dropped of the OCF/4790K/KPE at the same time as your GPU.

What size PSU for the kingpins and the 4790 all overclocked......? You had said 1050 to be safe right?

A pair on water, with a 4790K, I'd grab this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817438010

This is assuming:
CPU - 88W (150W OC'd)
GPU - 165W (250W OC'd)
GPU - 165W (250W OC'd)
Pump - 30W
Fans - 30W
Mobo/RAM/SSD - 50W

That comes out to 528W at stock, 760W OC'd. I'd expect you can break past 760W if you're benching on it and give some extra volts though.
Note that the KPE needs 2x 8-pin and 1x 6-pin PCIe cables. Not all PSU's actually give you enough for SLI, check this before buying one I haven't mentioned.

A pair on water, with a 4790K, I'd grab this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817438010

This is assuming:
CPU - 88W (150W OC'd)
GPU - 165W (250W OC'd)
GPU - 165W (250W OC'd)
Pump - 30W
Fans - 30W
Mobo/RAM/SSD - 50W

That comes out to 528W at stock, 760W OC'd. I'd expect you can break past 760W if you're benching on it and give some extra volts though.
Note that the KPE needs 2x 8-pin and 1x 6-pin PCIe cables. Not all PSU's actually give you enough for SLI, check this before buying one I haven't mentioned.

Ah that's right I completely forgot about the plugs. Thanks for the heads up I would have thought just dual 8 pin like the HOF 980 Ti....

Nope, it's built to take every last drop of power you can give it.
Absolutely maxing the card on sub-ambient would be:

PCIe slot - 75W
6-pin - 75W
8-pin - 150W
8-pin - 150W

For a grand total of 450W, but you won't ever hit that on water.

I'll go bigger then to have the peace of mind, plus I don't think the price difference is too much from 850 to 1000/1050 but I have not yet previously looked for clearance on the three plugs. And then with SLI in mind I will need this X 2........

I would go for the 1000W G2 over the 1050W units.

Also, no better units on the market than the G2 right now, other than the P2 and T2!

I will check it out, I recently cut someone a heck of a deal on a 1200P too lol......

That OCf board is a heck of a board, should be a nice setup...Good grab!

Thanks once he pointed out it had the block built in I couldn't pass up the deal. The mobo doesn't exactly fit the color scheme I wanted but the deal was good. So we will see whether the yellow gets painted or not. It's one of my favorite colors but Parvum did a Black and yellow case and don't want to look like I'm copying them.......

A little Plastidip would be perfect since you could peel it off if you want to change colors again.

You don't think that would mess with the MOBO's coating etc..... my concern is the affect of the paint on the heat dissipation on parts that might need it......

Make the case Yellow and Black instead of Black and Yellow that's different....No? ;) hehe

You don't think that would mess with the MOBO's coating etc..... my concern is the affect of the paint on the heat dissipation on parts that might need it......

The coating won't be effected by the PlastiDip, no.
Heat dissipation is a non-issue since you'd tube it into your loop.

Back