• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE EK Predator 240 AIO Cooler Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Overclockers.com

This is an expensive all-in-one cooler directly from an old water-cooling shop. They make radiators, water blocks, reservoirs, pumps, tubing, fittings, kits – and now the Predator, available in 240 mm and 360 mm. EK bills this as "Pre-filled CPU Xpandable Liquid Cooling." You can add an additional water block (EK suggests a GPU) and a reservoir. You could turn into a real water head. Today we have the 240 mm version in front of us. Does it live up to its heritage? Let’s see.

Click here to view the article.

Any word on release date of add-on parts?
No. But I would ask them directly.

This AiO is marvelous to have in your hands. It seems like you can feel the quality. It almost seems like a shame to mount it and turn your back on it. But be wary of the case you put it in. I just tried it in the Silent Base 600. It won't fit.

I wonder how it stacks up against swiftech's offerings which as similar mindset wise.

I wonder how it stacks up against swiftech's offerings which as similar mindset wise.

Temps are very similar, within +/- 1-2°C of each other.
The Swiftech H220-x and H240-x are incredibly quiet, I'd say +/- 3dBa depending on the review from the Predator.

Basically, a wash. Except that the Swiftech H220-x is $60 cheaper than the Predator 240.

A friend has the Predator 360, and they are thrilled with the performance. The one benefit of the EKWB kit, is that you are not prevented from doing a push/pull configuration. Both Swiftech and EKWB make great kits, and it's a toss up, imho.

Thanks for the review. Every once in a while I think about going to water cooling. Before this review and the comments I was only aware of (what I think of as) low end AIOs and custom high end setups. These high end AIO setups seem to offer the performance of a custom setup (albeit w/out GPU cooling) with the convenience of an AIO. Do I have that right?

Any concerns about future proofing? I suppose anything I buy today would support the current configurations (1150 today, perhaps 1151 next?) If I skip the next generation of sockets, how likely is this to fit the subsequent generation?

Maybe I need to start hanging around the cooling forum a little more. ;)

I imagine it would be pretty likely for intel, as they have been good about cooling socket holes. Who knows what amd will bring with Zen though.

These kids are also expandable to add a gpu as long as you add more radiator

I imagine it would be pretty likely for intel, as they have been good about cooling socket holes. Who knows what amd will bring with Zen though.

These kids are also expandable to add a gpu as long as you add more radiator

Dunno how the copyright is written, but they'd be smart to match either the 115X or 2011 wide pattern.

Thanks for the review. Every once in a while I think about going to water cooling. Before this review and the comments I was only aware of (what I think of as) low end AIOs and custom high end setups. These high end AIO setups seem to offer the performance of a custom setup (albeit w/out GPU cooling) with the convenience of an AIO. Do I have that right?

Any concerns about future proofing? I suppose anything I buy today would support the current configurations (1150 today, perhaps 1151 next?) If I skip the next generation of sockets, how likely is this to fit the subsequent generation?

Maybe I need to start hanging around the cooling forum a little more. ;)

Future-proofing: Intel has left their 115x sockets with the same holes since 2009, when the 1156 arrived. I am using my 2009 LGA-1156 Megahalems with my 2015 LGA-1150 i7 4790k rig as I write this.

Even if Intel changes hole pitch, the Predator's Supremacy water block should accommodate those changes -- the bolts slide. If second-worst comes to second-worst, EK will probably provide you wit a different mounting kit for your water block. If worst comes to worst, remember this is modular. You can replace that Supremacy with another water block. It's all mutable, customizable.

Future-proofing: Intel has left their 115x sockets with the same holes since 2009, when the 1156 arrived. I am using my 2009 LGA-1156 Megahalems with my 2015 LGA-1150 i7 4790k rig as I write this.

Even if Intel changes hole pitch, the Predator's Supremacy water block should accommodate those changes -- the bolts slide. If second-worst comes to second-worst, EK will probably provide you wit a different mounting kit for your water block. If worst comes to worst, remember this is modular. You can replace that Supremacy with another water block. It's all mutable, customizable.

+1 :thup:

Back