• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is there a way to automate overclocking?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

i569221

Hello.
I made myself a set of possible multipliers, and a set of possible FSB frequencies. Then I combined these two sets and sorted them by their multiplication products. Then I eliminated all combinations that have multiplication product less than my current overclock.
So, now I have well over a thousand theoretically possible CPU frequencies (obviously, the higher the product, the less probable stability, and there is a possibility for further elimination - i.e. if a multiplier and FSB frequency is not stable, it is probable that same frequency with higher multiplier will not be stable either).
My question is, is there a way to automate the testing a bit?
Ideally, I would give the program those numbers, and it would change the UEFI, boot, run a short stability test, made a note, and then re-iterated the process with the next combination. 16*263, 18*234, 19.5*216, 17*248, 17,5*241...
Thanks.

In theory it will be possible. In real it's pointless as every platform or even motherboard works in a different way.
Most overclockers stick to 3-4 settings that they want to achieve. It's not required to run all. Barely anyone cares about all frequencies between clocks they want to achieve.
Other thing is that depends from motherboard there are "FSB holes" so frequencies at which motherboard won't run at all. Next thing is that depends from motherboard maximum CPU frequency can be achieved on higher FSB or higher CPU ratio and there is no clear rule. Failing short stability test at lower frequency doesn't mean that higher won't work.
There are also additional voltages, straps and other settings. Simply too many things that may affect final frequency to make it automated. As you see most auto overclocking programs made by motherboard manufacturers are pretty much fail.

You don't want to go the automated route. As Woomack said, overclocking can be as simple or as complicated as you want. To start with as Woomack also said, just use the cpu multiplier and cpu core voltage settings. Forget the other multipliers. Be aware that to get good clocks you will need a good mobo, good cpu cooling and good case airflow. Plus a good psu.

Back