• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fan and Pump Controllers?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Fan controllers As for pump control unsure. Pumps draw quite a bit wattage and amperage. Not sure if you can use a fan controller to control it's speed. Some people have used one, but not sure which one.

All depends on how much power your pump needs.

In the past I used a Sunbeam Rheobus to contol my fans and pump, which worked fine. Now I'm running Laing D5 Vario pumps which are on the 12v molex and have the speed set manually on 3. My fans are still on the fan controller. This would be a nice option also, though I'm not sure if you could run a pump off of it.

I looked and looked for what was going to be the best for what I wanted, not what I needed, and this was the best option. Might of been pricey, but when you think about how much you have invested and the rest of your machine I didn't think it was that pricey for what it does. I have it controlling mcp35x2 pumps and 8 B12-p NB-eLoop fans, I could put more fans on it, but the 6 fans I have are just to keep air moving inside the case and I set them at the slowest speed I could. The controller is really nice and just more than you really need. I could power the pumps through it but would rather get the power straight from the PSU and control them via the pwm signal wire through the controller, and monitor their speed through it also, I find it nice and convenient that I can set up multi-point controller profiles depending on water temperature, makes it a no touch system and it will speed up and slow down according to how much heat is being put into the system.

Lots of great info to read through, thank you for all the great reply's. Reviews are great and appreciated, but finding out what works and might not work so well from people that have used it mean even more.

I think the D5 pumps run 25-30W each, the DDC pumps are around 18W. The fans I run (NF-F12 PWM) are .6W each. If you have 10 fans that's 6.0W to be divided between however many channels.

-------Correction 6.0W------ thanks PG!

Last edited:
if you can go with just switches the lamptons work pretty well. off, 7v, and 12v, but you have to poke out the stinking leds, they are very bright in these things.

they are behind a metal grill, I'm lazy so i just poked its beady little eyes out with a scratch awl......

It all depends what fans and pumps you have. Are they PWM or not, etc. Assuming you go PWM, the only thing I can think of that can control PWM other than a MB PWM Header is the premium priced Aquearo 6. The thing is a beast but have to know what you're doing as it can get a bit complicating. AI hear they lack on information in their manuals and their CS isn't necessarily that high AFAIK, especially on their forums since their native language is German and not English and it could take days or weeks for a response if I recall correctly.

I've variable speed reobus type controllers, if your running PWM I'd prefer to go with thh control and versatility of something I can play with, I mean what's not to like about having control of your fans right from your keyboard along with visual monitoring if you so choose on your monitor. I mean nothing in this hobby is cheap, well that's a lie, nothing is inexpensive once you figure the amount of time you have put into everything.

I have to admit, being able to open one program and see all the information no one really needs is a plus, what's not to like about this:

aquearo final.jpg

Of course, I can see where in some instances simple is better, but for the varying loads and ambient temps I get at home, I like having it adjust things for me, I mean I am lazy after all, why flip a switch when I can click and drag, lol.

Edit: just to clarify, I only have the bottom GPU folding atm, that why the temps are different otherwise they stay roughly the same when both are folding. Just thought I'd clarify that temp difference.

I ended up pulling the trigger on the AQ 6 XT and some accessories for it. I figured it was the best time since there was a 10% off code from PCS and the prices seemed reasonable. The AQ 6 XT is $225-$230+ on average since its release. Now I find it for $195 at PCS + 10% off your whole order, can't get any better than that.

10% OFF on any order!: "CYBER15-10"

[SIZE=-2]
(Valid for Cyber Weekend through Monday (Dec 28th-30th, 2015). This offer is limited to most items on the website other than cases, processors, motherboards and Clearance items. One coupon per order please.)
[/SIZE]

Back