• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need new video card ASAP

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ANIMASANA

So I failed and didnt check the specs for battlefront and I need to upgrade my gfx card. Here is the mobo I have. Was hoping to go up to 8gb minimum. ASRock Z77 Extreme6 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Any suggestions?

What's your budget?
Do you have a preference to a brand AMD or Nvidia?
What resolution will you be playing at?

Also what power supply will you be using? Make and model?

AMD. I play at 1920x1080. I just bought this.... XFX AMD Radeon R9 390 8GB GDDR5 PCI Express 30 Graphics Card BlackGray seems like it should work. PCIe 3.0 compatible and if I want to blow my xmas budget I can get another one after black friday lulz. I had an XFX card in there before seemed to be working well and this will tell me if the new monitor is the issue with my blank screen or not. (see other post from this week.)

If you have any suggestions that is better let me know. I was thinking $350-400 is about my ceiling this month.

Oh yeah that 390 should work just fine. I still run a 290 @ 1100/1400 on a 40" 1080 display and I'm happy. You'll be very happy with that 390 for sho. Make sure you have at least a quality 750w psu to push it ;)

SO I bought the 390 and I am a little confused. It is hooked up with the regular 6-pin power cables that my PSU came with PSU CORSAIR| CMPSU-750HX 750W RT. The card itself has an 8-pin connector and a 6-ping connector. The cables that came with my psu have this dongle that come out of the PCIe side to make it an 8-pin cable. SO.... I used that dongle to plug in 8-pins to the card because the documentation says use an 8-pin connector. BUT the card also came with this attachment deal that has two female 6-pin slots and a male 8 pin slot. So in theory I could plug two more of my 6-pin PCIe cables into THAT and plug the 8-pin side into the card and plug the two PSU sides into the PSU. (FYI the PSU side of the PCIe cables are actually 6-pin they just have an 8 pin connector. So Im guessing that the dongle at the PCIe side is jumped from the two pins that would otherwise be there on a straight 8-pin to 8-pin PCIe power cable. Which, btw has been tough to track down since Im in idiot.) See prior posts for supporting evidence on the idiot case. Anyhow, does anyone think I should use this dongle thing and plug two of my psu cables into it then plug those into my psu then plug the whole damn thing into the card? The card is working.... put at least 20 hours of '''Star Wars Battlefront in, a few games of battle royale in H1Z1 have not tried CS:GO yet. Any suggestions would be great. I can add pictures too...

Dongle thing.JPG
connected with jumper.JPG

XFX AMD Radeon R9 390 8GB GDDR5 PCI Express dumb question / repost

Sorry to repost this from my other thread but I'm socially unacceptable

SO I bought the 390 and I am a little confused. It is hooked up with the regular 6-pin power cables that my PSU came with PSU CORSAIR| CMPSU-750HX 750W RT. The card itself has an 8-pin connector and a 6-ping connector. The cables that came with my psu have this dongle that come out of the PCIe side to make it an 8-pin cable. SO.... I used that dongle to plug in 8-pins to the card because the documentation says use an 8-pin connector. BUT the card also came with this attachment deal that has two female 6-pin slots and a male 8 pin slot. So in theory I could plug two more of my 6-pin PCIe cables into THAT and plug the 8-pin side into the card and plug the two PSU sides into the PSU. (FYI the PSU side of the PCIe cables are actually 6-pin they just have an 8 pin connector. So Im guessing that the dongle at the PCIe side is jumped from the two pins that would otherwise be there on a straight 8-pin to 8-pin PCIe power cable. Which, btw has been tough to track down since Im in idiot.) See prior posts for supporting evidence on the idiot case. Anyhow, does anyone think I should use this dongle thing and plug two of my psu cables into it then plug those into my psu then plug the whole damn thing into the card? The card is working.... put at least 20 hours of '''Star Wars Battlefront in, a few games of battle royale in H1Z1 have not tried CS:GO yet. Any suggestions would be great. I can add pictures too...

Dongle thing.JPG
connected with jumper.JPG

Your PSU should have plenty of the right connectors, use those instead of adapters.

I merged your new thread with this existing one you already asked it in. This one is fine to ask that question. :)

My PSU only came with 1 8-pin to 8-pin adapter which is connected to the mobo. I called XFX and the tech support guy said using the 6-pin + dongle thing to make it 8 pin should work so Im going with that and like I said earlier it seems to be working fine. I would feel more comfortable going straight 8-pin to 8-pin but it's their lifetime warranty so........ YAA! Anyhow. Working for now so Im not going toi stress it. Im guessing the voltage off these rails is more than enough to give power to the extra pins. Im dumb thought so anyone that knows about video cards and electrricity feel free to correct me.

That's what I used and I called XFX to confirm that was okay to do and the technician on the phone said yes. However, by machine died last night. I am suspecting the PSU and I doubt this is related but I'm going to have to pull it all apart after work and do the all paper clip jump test thing to see if that is truly the issue. Fingers crossed it's PSU and not something more expensive... Wish me luck!

Back