• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need a lapto-- TOO many choices for a Non-Labtop person. Any Help appreciated

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Viper69

I have found myself in need of a new laptop unfortunately (no tablets)--actually posting for a non-computer friendly friend of mine. Here's what I know

Price range $500-$850.00
Size 15" screen max, no 17"
Use- Video editing need for YouTube, basic web surfing (NO GAMING), and MS Office uses, unsure what image/video editing software will be used.
OS- Windows, doesn't need to be Apple

W/that said, I'm assuming no less than a Core i5, as for a mobile video card, unsure what should be inside.

I've used Dell, Lenovo and HP. All come preloaded with bloatware sadly, BUT none gave me issues. I've never done image or video editing so this is new territory.

I was thinking perhaps an HP Envy, but I don't really know as I only build rigs.

Follow up question, how much RAM is REALLY required to run the latest version of Windows? We all know MS always lowballs the consumer on how much RAM is needed. Is 8 Megs enough for Win10? Their site reads 2Gig of RAM is that is needed HAH!

Thanks!

First, 2GB is plenty for Windows. It's other programs that make you need more.

Second, this should be my choice:
http://www.dell.com/us/p/inspiron-1...ndov2362bw7p&model_id=inspiron-15-5558-laptop

Thanks for the input! I mistyped, I didn't mean Windows itself per se, I meant once Win is loaded and you are running a program or two, ie Photoshop, or maybe some video editing software.

What makes that model your choice, I'm just curious really.

I like Windows 7 a lot. I'll be curios to see what OS is on these laptops, I'm not too sure how good Win8.x or Win10 is...

Thanks for the input! I mistyped, I didn't mean Windows itself per se, I meant once Win is loaded and you are running a program or two, ie Photoshop, or maybe some video editing software.

Just replying to how

What makes that model your choice, I'm just curious really.

i7, high build quality, 8GB RAM, 1TB HDD, smoking deal on it at $750

I like Windows 7 a lot. I'll be curios to see what OS is on these laptops, I'm not too sure how good Win8.x or Win10 is...

IMO, 10 is better than 7

Much appreciated, I've bookmarked the page for the immediate future. I agree on core i7

I saw this one yesterday and it's very nice. It's a ThinkPad T400, but the firmware and OS have been completely replaced (Trisquel-linux).
It's got everything but wireless ac (trisquel limitation) and gps. I like it because it can ship with an ssd for the OS and the dvdrw slot can house a 1tb sata disc (or you can run raid). UK but they do ship to US also.
http://minifree.org/product/libreboot-t400/

Back