• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD fx 8core, ram speed and timing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MadeInBolivia

3h movie in Adobe Premiere CS6 freezes for 5 to 10 seconds when i crop or insert footage at the beginning of timeline, this is probably because adobe needs to recalculate beginnings and ends of all footages and photos. This process looks like single core and even one core is not loaded to 100%, so assumption is that ram speed is limiting factor.Do you agree?

Do you thing that changing 4x4GB 1333 CL10 into 2x8GB TridentX 1866 CL8 will mitigate issue?

Spec: AMD 8120 + ASUS M5A78ML usb3 + ssd

Last edited:
You will probably get better answers from someone with more knowledge of Adobe Premiere then I. So I do not have anything specific I can say about the Adobe program.

In general when doing real work such as rendering videos, on a pc over long hours, having faster ram will be helpful. With these AMD setups you can also benefit from speeding up the NB Frequency but this will take some tuning within the BIOS to get stable. You may also need to raise the Cpu Nb voltage in order to run 1866 speed ram. Which we can help you with.

+1 on what mandrake said about ram and NB speeds. I'd definitely go for 16gigs of 1866.
What video format, and resolution, are you working with? Make sure you are using a format that adobe is optimized for. You may need to enable multi-core functions in adobe too. Another thing to check is if you're preview and timeline window is fully rendering the file. 3 hours of 4k video in your timeline is a lot of information to process. You should be able to change the settings so it renders the video at a lower resolution than the file itself.

+1 on what mandrake said about ram and NB speeds. I'd definitely go for 16gigs of 1866.
What video format, and resolution, are you working with? Make sure you are using a format that adobe is optimized for. You may need to enable multi-core functions in adobe too. Another thing to check is if you're preview and timeline window is fully rendering the file. 3 hours of 4k video in your timeline is a lot of information to process. You should be able to change the settings so it renders the video at a lower resolution than the file itself.

1280x720 30fps input material 90%pictutes (jpeg or png but thousands of them),10% x264 of full hd resolution, 80% wav, 20% mp3, few effects and not very advanced ones, 3h total duration.

I have bought 2x8gb 1866mhz cl8(or 7) and time of inserting material at the beginning of movie and repositioning all others dropped from about 7 to about 3 seconds. This makes me happy. I assume operation on timeline is single core action.

Playback, rendering, export to uncompressed avi or x264 loads all 8 cores.

Thanmkyou everybody.

Just a quick note.
While the ram speed had some impact, the bigger impact was the quantity of sticks. These 6 and 8 core AMD chips seem to have issues running more than 2 sticks. Seen it time and time again.

For your next project, consider converting all pics/video/audio to the same formats. That's what I would do at least. Then you can set your sequence up properly to work with whatever your majority format is.

Last edited:
For your next project, consider converting all pics/video/audio to the same formats. That's what I would do at least. Then you can set your sequence up properly to work with whatever your majority format is.
Why? Dont you think that double conversion would decrease quality?
Just a quick note.
While the ram speed had some impact, the bigger impact was the quantity of sticks. These 6 and 8 core AMD chips seem to have issues running more than 2 sticks. Seen it time and time again.
Is it better in case or 4 cores?

Well, it looks like you're putting 1080p footage in a 720p timeline. You may or may not be putting 60fps footage into a 30fps timeline as well. Lossless conversion is possible, I'd convert the bmp's to JPEG and the MP3's to wav. I could be wrong and none of that will smooth out the timeline or speed up your workflow. But what I'm sure of is, you want your time line setup for the material you're working with. If you have a Hodge podge of mismatched codecs, you're computer will be working to render them in real time to fit the timeline settings as best it can. Even if it's not the answer in your case, it is a good practice to have.

Back