• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

TN ( Gaming ) / IPS Monitor ??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Ok, just ran into a weird problem, as yesterday everything was fine, today I went and check my Monitor Refresh rate, for some reasons, the highest it's only 100hz...I can't choose 120 or even 144hz, yesterday I was able to !
I didn't even do anything, I didn't update my GPU Drivers or whatsoever....and Im using a DP 1.2, but as I said since day one I using this monitor I was able to set it @ 144hz on Windows Monitor Refresh Rate now Im stucked at 100hz...
Even my AMD CCC display it showing 144hz max, my Monitor System Info too display the current is 2560X1440 @ 144
But In games like DiRT Rally I can't change it to 144hz, which I able to yesterday !
What's going on ?!?!

All I did was today that I reset the monitor's setting that's all I doubt that have any affect to it....

EDIT : I found the cause ,but I can't fix it ! On AMD CCC, Desktop Management, Desktop Properties, on the Basic, Im able to select 2560X1440 but I can't select 144hz ! There is a choice for 144hz, but whenever I click more than 100hz, it will automatically choose HDTV @1080p instead !
As long it exceed 100hz the software will automatically choose HDTV @ 1080p, I've even tried choosing like lower Res on the HDTV section and tried choosing 144hz, yet again it will choose 1080p on HDTV again....what's going on ?? What's causing this ?? Doesn't seem to make sense if the software all sudden went crazy on me....
Im on 15.7 Driver.

Last edited:
For me IPS is nothing special. Ill take the faster refresh rates and quicker response time any day. Who cares about the viewing angles? Are you going to be moving from your monitor much? I'd say 99% of us sit in the same spot and hardly move when we are at our computers. As for color, blue is blue, red is red, etc etc etc. No complaints from me. TN Master Race lol

For me IPS is nothing special. Ill take the faster refresh rates and quicker response time any day. Who cares about the viewing angles? Are you going to be moving from your monitor much? I'd say 99% of us sit in the same spot and hardly move when we are at our computers. As for color, blue is blue, red is red, etc etc etc. No complaints from me. TN Master Race lol

If you don't care about color quality/reproduction, then a TN panel is just fine, especially if you don't do anything with Photoshop or the like that would require proper colors. But, now that we have the best of TN alongside IPS, unless you are strapped for cash, I don't see a reason to grab a TN panel these days, especially if you are doing a multi-monitor setup where TN color shift will make itself more pronounced.

It's very obvious you do no photo/video editing or graphic design work, but if you're not doing that kind of work you don't need an IPS.

It's very obvious you do no photo/video editing or graphic design work, but if you're not doing that kind of work you don't need an IPS.

If you direly need color accuracy for photo or video editing, then I understand IPS is needed. For personal enjoyment, I see no benefit. I am fairly certain that the person who posted this article is using his monitor for personal enjoyment and not professional photo or video editing.

Personal enjoyment could include movie watching. As much as a plasma screen or OLED screen would be preferred for color accuracy and dark scenes, IPS is the next best option.

Though I agree, I highly doubt the OP cares for that either.

Me personally, I'm still waiting on the perfect IPS or affordable OLED gaming screen, though I may just go with a HTC Vive and keep my current monitors till they need replacement.

If you direly need color accuracy for photo or video editing, then I understand IPS is needed. For personal enjoyment, I see no benefit. I am fairly certain that the person who posted this article is using his monitor for personal enjoyment and not professional photo or video editing.

It's all a matter of opinion. I do zero video/photo work but wouldn't buy a TN over IPS for myself

Me personally, I'm still waiting on the perfect IPS or affordable OLED gaming screen, though I may just go with a HTC Vive and keep my current monitors till they need replacement.

*cough* Acer XB270HU *cough*

*cough* Acer XB270HU *cough*

I should have added, must also do 3D. Currently, no IPS can do 3D, hence why I'm also waiting on the Vive. Just wish I knew what screen tech it's using so I can plan ahead and make a decision.

[Edit] Just looked it up. If what wiki says is true, the Vive would be my main gaming and movie watching screen. Though I wonder how I can calibrate the colors on it. [/edit]

I've tried Google this problem some solution is just weird, some solved it by unplugging the power from monitor leaving it overnight and it fixes it just like that, some tried on other PC etc and somehow it just went back normal on his own Pc after that, some claimed is Cable faulty and replacing it works some suggest to get a VESA certified one he bought a new one from BenQ. I'm using DP1.2 that came with the monitor though. I just don't understand why I can't set 144hz when using 1440p only 100hz max anything more it will force it to 1080p but it runs at 144hz but not Basic section instead HDTV, now I'm at work gonna try it when I back home.

Try turning off free sync and rebooting

Doesn't work...Im totally out of ideas now, as I did mentioned I tried Googling, it doesn't seem to be related to Driver, many had tried re-install Drivers changing to other versions ( most of theirs are bit older one as well ) but doesn't solve it.
Some even left it just like that and didn't even solve it.

Any more ideas ?? Would you suggest trying a new cable ?? Im not sure am I even to buy any good 1.2DP cable...must it be VESA Certified for it to work with FreeSync ?
Here are some pictures the settings.

As I choose the Modes available there isn't 144hz either...

Desktop_2015_11_24_21_47_15_299.jpg

There is only 60 and 100hz

Desktop_2015_11_24_21_47_27_206.jpg

On the CCC, whenever I've selected 2560X1440 and select 144hz Refresh Rate it will automatically force select HDTV instead 1080p but 144hz, also I've tried switching to 60hz on 2560X1440, but my Monitor OSD System Information shows my current settings is 144hz..but in max Refresh Rate is still only 100hz...

Desktop_2015_11_24_21_49_03_256.jpg

I would try using Custom Resolution Utility to create a custom resolution with a 144hz refresh.

Seems like the new driver are out , Crimson Software, maybe I would try updating my Drivers and see how things goes.

EDIT : Ok I've got the new Crimson software installed, I've even tried using the DVI-DL Cable that came with the monitor, no luck ! It's worst with DVI-DL, it's limited to 60hz ! But on AMD Software it detected 120hz max, but on settings only 60hz max for DVI-DL, so I've swapped back to the DP1.2, same as before ! Only 100hz maxed !
Turning ON / OFF FreeSync doesn't work (But FreeSync there stated FreeSync works only in between 40 - 100hz )

I literally ran out of ideas...is this a Windows problem or my Monitor is defective ?? I don't think it's a cable problem.

But I recall very clearly, on the first day I was able to set it @ 144hz 2560X1440 Res..

Another thing is I clearly remember this monitor's supported FreeSync range is from 40 FPS - 144 FPS max....something is somehow tricking either my AMD Drivers or Windows to think that this monitor isn't capable of 144hz....any ideas guys??

Last edited:
I would try using Custom Resolution Utility to create a custom resolution with a 144hz refresh.

About creating a Custom Res, AMD had a warning on top is it something I should worry about, I wouldn't want to do anything that actually kinda like forces it to run @ 144hz ( There are even programs can do this I heard which I won't want this ) basically like example, OCing, if it's those kind of things I would try to avoid it. I don't feel comfort tweaking my hardware out of the factory's setting / recommendation / specs.

That being said, creating one is confusing as well, here's a picture of it, how should I set it up ?? I've just tried changing the Hz to 144hz or even 60hz it won't work, it said the custom res settings isn't compatible with the display...

Untitled.png

I don't think I ever saw the official name of the monitor that you have purchased (brand/model #) --

edit: nevermind found it in a screenshot: benq_xl2730z

Have you checked any settings in the monitor's OSD settings?

Last edited:
I don't think I ever saw the official name of the monitor that you have purchased (brand/model #) --

edit: nevermind found it in a screenshot: benq_xl2730z

Have you checked any settings in the monitor's OSD settings?

Hmm, what settings to be specific, because some of the settings Im still aren't very sure myself what it does, but the System Info as I mentioned still shows 144hz the Res is correct being 2560X1440, but the Refresh Rate isn't...
Hopefully it isn't too much could you read through the Manual of all the settings and maybe inform me on maybe checking what should I turn ON / OFF , I've read it myself...and based on my knowledge, I think the settings is right?
Could you double check for me Tks alot.

Here's a link to the Manual

https://www.manualowl.com/p/BenQ/XL2730Z/Manual/239270

EDIT :
Wao seriously look at all these weird solutions I found...this dude have another type of monitor and his on NVIDIA card, at first his PC is limited to low Res and only 60hz what he did was disconnecting and reconnecting the cable multiple times and it fixes the problem...

https://forums.geforce.com/default/...can-t-get-144hz-with-my-asus-vg248qe-monitor/

This one is worst ! Just by unplugging the power cord and leaving it overnight and plug it back in and it works...( Well I did tried this didn't work for me, doesn't even seems logic ! )

Last edited:
Back