• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Noob with a 79.6% ASIC EVGA 980 Ti FTW

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I personally like cooler temps overall. Since I'm not really into getting the highest benchmarks and oc values on my cpu etc, I focus on getting lower temps on things with an average oc or stock settings.

You can't even hear the GPU fans until about 40% speed so why not use it? Having the fan spin more frequently than not keeps the lubricant inside the fan working etc. This is my logic anyway. It's better than the fan turning on and off constantly when it goes at or above 60 degrees celcius. This would be like turning on and off your light switches every few seconds at home? Opening/closing the circuit?

Also, especially during warmer months and it gets pretty damn hot here, I don't need to create more heat than necessary in my room.

To each his own and I'm not trying to start a discussion on who's right and who's not. I just feel that having my card idle at 60-70 Celsius is completely unnecessary.

Sorry for my ramble.

This is the sweet spot for me with my EVGA 970, just in case you're interested. If I set the fan higher it just makes more noise but doesn't bring the temps down so this took a little testing. Your card will run hotter though. Untitled.jpg

You can't even hear the GPU fans until about 40% speed so why not use it? Having the fan spin more frequently than not keeps the lubricant inside the fan working etc. This is my logic anyway. It's better than the fan turning on and off constantly when it goes at or above 60 degrees celcius. This would be like turning on and off your light switches every few seconds at home? Opening/closing the circuit?

Also, especially during warmer months and it gets pretty damn hot here, I don't need to create more heat than necessary in my room.

To each his own and I'm not trying to start a discussion on who's right and who's not. I just feel that having my card idle at 60-70 Celsius is completely unnecessary.
To each their own for sure... that said, if you are actually IDLING at 60-70C, that is a problem (and your fans should be spinning). Chances are, that also isn't idling... With no fans on with my MSI GTX 980TI I idle around 37C (22C ambient).

That said, I don't buy the lubrication aspect either considering when it does hit 60C the fans turn on. Again, its made to work that way. If you are idling around 60C, then yes it would flick on and off. However, that shouldn't be happening in the first place.

... to each their own.

To each their own for sure... that said, if you are actually IDLING at 60-70C, that is a problem (and your fans should be spinning). Chances are, that also isn't idling... With no fans on with my MSI GTX 980TI I idle around 37C (22C ambient).

That said, I don't buy the lubrication aspect either considering when it does hit 60C the fans turn on. Again, its made to work that way. If you are idling around 60C, then yes it would flick on and off. However, that shouldn't be happening in the first place.

... to each their own.

Those temps make more sense. Are you running Adaptive power mngt mode?

Nvidia 3D settings. I believe it's Adaptive by default...if the OP is not using Adaptive, the idle temps will be higher.

Untitled2.jpg

Oh.. that I do change to full performance or whatever. Card still throttles down... :shrug:

Wait.. wrong setting, lol. That is left to default.

I wouldn't count too much on getting higher overclocks or better performance with a higher ASIC value if I were you.

Higher ASIC typically just indicates that it can run at a lower voltage to the GPU Core, and will typically consume less power and run cooler. So, a higher quality just mean the GPU runs more efficiently. It doesn't really mean that a card with 80% ASIC Quality will overclock higher or run at a higher FPS than a card that has 60% ASIC Quality, assuming both cards are the same model/same GPU Core.

I have a GTX 570 here with 96.9% ASIC quality, but it's performance doesn't really seem to be special or unusually good compared to others of the same model.

I have one GTX 680 with 77.9% quality, and the other is less than 65% if I remember correctly, but they both perform the same when at the same settings. I've only overclocked the card with the lower ASIC, because I wanted to get its settings up to the same as the higher quality card for testing purposes.

Does the new 9xx GPU's still have this dumb 106% power limit thing?
If so, it's a balancing act between overclocking and not having the card throttle.

Wont leaving the card running without fan 24/7 increase case heat even with good ventilation ? i run my fan 40% (~40c idle) till it hits 70c and its still almost silent with a +30/+400 overclock.

I just checked, I'm using Adaptive too

This seems like a nice review for this specific card: http://techgage.com/article/evga-geforce-gtx-980-ti-ftw-graphics-card-review/9/

My load / max temp is 78C, so aligned with what the reviewer found out, since he could only get +30, I decided not to OC

I also checked hwinfo stats, the Video Clock maxed out at 1400mhz, the GPU Clock maxed out at 1300mhz, so I'm guessing the GPU Clock is the performance metric here, and the card seems to exceed the specced 1291 a bit on it's own, better leave the card to what it does, was my end reasoning

Kaans... what does msi afterburner say your ACTUAL core clockspeed is (look in graph). I have a feeling that your core clock is 1400 mhz on boost. The shaders run at the same Speed as the core clock.

Also, just because one card only raised 30mhz, doesn't mean yours will. As I said, the vast majority of these cards top out around 1500mhz.

Out of curiosity (and still roughly within theme), say you got a bum deal on the GPU and it only goes up to 1400mhz before artefacts/TDR's even at low temps, would it help if you went water or got a better then default cooler ? would it raise your OC cap ?

I'm no expert, but, gathering from the information available even in this thread (also online) - the GTX980Ti doesn't seem to be thermally limited, so I would guess the answer is 99% No, not much difference, but lets wait for an expert opinion :)

I also can't differentiate Video Clock and GPU Clock, so I have no idea whether my GPU runs at 1300 or 1400, haven't downloaded OC software, the hwinfo64 reports 3 clocks, mem/video/gpu

Default = stock
GPU = stock + overclock
Boost (lower) = stock + Boost
Boost (higher) = stock + overclock + Boost

or something like that :shrug:

temp.gif

I don't know... DL the software mentioned and see...

You need to ditch these curious pieces of software you use, LOL! :p

Kenrou said:
Default = stock
GPU = stock + overclock
Boost (lower) = stock + Boost
Boost (higher) = stock + overclock + Boost

or something like that
What?? Where are you getting those terms? What is GPU? What is boost higher and lower?

the GTX980Ti doesn't seem to be thermally limited,

I see mention of the high ASIC, now I can only speak from MY experience. I have a KPE 980ti at 79.5 and overall on stock cooling it wouldn't OC as high as other cards. Now from my understanding of the maxwell arch is that yes they all top out around the same point and it's not a voltage limitation but it's thermal. Even though the GPU is well within it's specs and NOT overheating, it's not going faster without #1 a lot more voltage or #2 colder temps. I think this still goes back to that strix discussion. Now that I have had one and run it a bit also researched it a lot , I have a better grasp of how it works if you look at this shot it's still on very low volts but the temp is down and I hit a 1628 core clock the higher the ASIC the worse this get AFIK.
So kaans if it were me and you're just gaming, raise the power limit and you should be able to add 50-60 mhz without even changing voltage maybe just up the power limit a bit. Add some to the mem clock and be done. These 980Ti are real power houses and don't really need an OC to begin with.

Attachments

• image_id_1513982.jpg
    image_id_1513982.jpg
    313.4 KB · Views: 154
Last edited:
What?? Where are you getting those terms? What is GPU? What is boost higher and lower?

Look at the picture ?

- - - Updated - - -

I see mention of the high ASIC, now I can only speak from MY experience. I have a KPE 980ti at 79.5 and overall on stock cooling it wouldn't OC as high as other cards. Now from my understanding of the maxwell arch is that yes they all top out around the same point and it's not a voltage limitation but it's thermal. Even though the GPU is well within it's specs and NOT overheating, it's not going faster without #1 a lot more voltage or #2 colder temps. I think this still goes back to that strix discussion. Now that I have had one and run it a bit also researched it a lot , I have a better grasp of how it works if you look at this shot it's still on very low volts but the temp is down and I hit a 1628 core clock.
So kaans if it were me and you're just gaming, raise the power limit and you should be able to add 50-60 mhz without even changing voltage maybe just up the power limit a bit. Add some to the mem clock and be done. These 980Ti are real power houses and don't really need an OC to begin with.

View attachment 171428

Invalid attachment ?

Back