• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ubuntu 14.04 cant find network

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

knoober

Ive been working on a home server and have run into a new trouble. On a fresh install the OS can find the network! The first install went flawlessly and autconfigured . Everything worked. I lost a drive and had to reformat everything and now I cant seem to hit the network.

problem: cant find the network

steps taken to solve:

1) fresh install on clean drives/ and a fresh install of the BIOS just for good measure

2) Installed windows to check the NIC = nic is working fine

3) did some googling and tried many things which didnt work.
a) added an entry
Code:
auto eth0 iface eth0 inet dhcp
in /etc/network/interfaces because there was no ethernet entry

4) added the google DNS servers (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4) in /etc/resolv.conf but it doesnt seem to do much good when it still can seem to find the router

also the server is listed in the router menu and has recieved an IP through DHCP (Im not sure if Im saying that right, but the router DOES see the server)

I reinstalled again this morning just to make sure I hadnt botched the install somehow, so I am once again sitting on a fairly blank system that cannot see the network. I have added the eth0 stanza to the etc/network/interfaces file again but nothing else.

ping brings back something about unknown host no matter where I point it to. ifconfig still does not list eth0 (does list lo and p9p1)
also:
Code:
user@lservername: $ route
                   Kernel IP routing table
                   Destination     Gateway  GenMask   FLags  Metric   Ref           Use   Iface
and then nothing. this is new since the fresh install. I fairly sure it used to list the lo address and subnetmask. Im stumped guys, but that's not hard to do :) Any help is appreciated.

1 more thing.... I do have the old system (which worked perfectly and is configured the way I would like) in a usb hdd enclosure, but it wont boot properly http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/766660-Ive-ruled-out-the-psu. I would love nothing better than to get the system running well enough to just clone the partition on the new system from the old one. Before you ask, I am not suing the old HDD in the sytem anymore because I had to switch motherboards and the new one has no IDE connection. Ie, the only way to access the old system is through the external enclosure. Thanks again

what is the data from
Code:
 ifconfig

Code:
 lo    Link encep:Local Loopback
                 inet addr 127.0.0.1 Mask 255.0.0.0
                 inet6 addr:  ::1/128 Scope:Host
                 UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:65536 Metric:1
                 RX Packets:33 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
                 TX packets: 4 errors: 0dropped: 0 overruns: 0 frame: 0
                 collisions:0 txqueuelen: 0

p9p1          Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr valid:MAC:Address
                 inet6 addr: presumably valid ipv6adress  Scope:LInk
                 UPBROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
                 RX packets:143 errors: 0dropped :0 overruns: 0 fram: 0
                 TX packets: 4 errors: 0 dropped : 0 overruns: 0 carrier: 0
                 collisons:0 txqueuelen:1000
                 RX bytes:12335 (12.3kb) TX bytes:348 (348.0 B)

I tried to remove any personally identifiable info. if it matters I can add it back in. Any typos are from me as I typed it out by hand

Edit: I apprently dont have the old system. I just tried it again and it was just a storage partition that is on the pulled drive

Edit again: just in case I didnt say I DID verify the cat5 cable as working

ssh will not work after opening the port in ufw, but it is my understanding that another firewall could be in the way somewhere. Im still looking :)

MORE Editing: turning off windows defender is letting me access the package repository, but I still cant get anything from it. error is "cannot initiate connection to us.archive/blah/blah /blah"

Code:
 netstat -rn
reurns a blank routing table as well. as of now I have run through alot of differnet help forums and am familiar with some of the files I need to sue.

/etc/resolv.conf /etc/network/interfaces /etc/hostname /etc/hosts , surley there must be a few more that I have been messing with that I am forgetting. I do believe that I have configured all these files correctly but am still unable to reach out to either the interior network or exterior network.

Last edited:
Can you paste your full /etc/network/interfaces

cant paste it but Ill get it for you. Im currently working on cheating through the problem a bit. I have installed Win7 and am going to install ubuntu on a virtual machine, then steal a peek at how the files are set up in there. If that does not yield any results I am going to come back here and give a more organized picture of the problem and where I have been to fix it. As of now it is still a blank OS and I have pretty much copy pasted from the ubuntu instructions page https://help.ubuntu.com/lts/serverguide/network-configuration.html and still had no results.

As I said I will come back if my cheater fix doesnt get me anywhere :)

Cheater Fix didnt get me anywhere unfortunately. Installed Win 7 and virtualbox, then ubuntu-server and it worked out of the box in the VM. Copy-pasting the settings into a fresh install wasnt very magical. It just seems like my NIC isnt picked up during the install for some reason. Ive evern tried different install media now as well (usually the first thing I do, still no luck though) beack to business though

/etc/network/interfaces looks has two stanzas in it

Code:
 auto lo
          iface lo inet dhcp

auto p9p1
          iface p9p1 inet dhcp

the only difference in the VM was that p9p1 was replaced with eth0.

etc/resolv.conf returns the same results in both the vm and the real deal. THe interesting thing to note here is that even though I delete and format through gparted (in a live environment) before reinstall the nameserver entries are still set to where I manually set them (8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4) I wonder if there isnt some other things that are holding over from previous installs as well.

/etc/hostname and etc/hosts were fairly simple in the vm but differ in the actual machine.
in the non virtual it looked like this
Code:
 127.0.0.1    local host
          127.0.1.1 servername.prod-infinuitum.com.mx     servername again

#  The following lines are desirable for IPv6 capable hosts
        ::1         localhost ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
        ffo2::1 ip6-allnodes
        ffo2::2 ip6-allrouters

in the vm there was no entry after the server name on line 2 and I beleive there was IPv4 info to be found with the IPv6 info down below the commented line (I am really not sure, I thought I had seen the fix already and so didnt take proper notes)

/etc/hostname was identical.

I have tried setting p9p1 like this :

Code:
auto p9p1
iface p9p1 inet static
address x.x.x.x as the reserved address in the router for this MAC address
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway default shown in working Windows machine on the same network

configureing the default gateway with
Code:
sudo route add default gw x.x.x.x p9p1
returns SIOCADDRT: network is unreachable

so then I
Code:
sudo ifup p9p1
then the network said it was listening on that port, but still returns Unknown host.

so Essentially I am back at the beggininng.

did you check dmesg?

It almost sounds like it doesnt have the network driver for some reason.

Get the type of card from `lspci` and then see what driver is associated with it

Code:
 dmeg | grep p9p1

states that the link has been renamed from eth0 to p9p1 (how that happened I could not say but that is what I gathered from reading)

also states that
Code:
p9p1 :  link is not ready

the driver was there but I was looking at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1022411
and have now removed it. I am stuck at step 4. I get a no such file or director. The file is located on a mounted usb, but I cant seem to find a way to point bz2 at the file....

can you paste all of your output including you trying to run the commands?

yes. /humor :)

Im not sure what you mean by including me trying to run the commands, but Ill do my best. Please do remember that I am not copy pasting these outputs so there may be misspellings and the like. I am also working to sanitize the outputs of all Personally identifiable information, so if there is something missing that you absolutely need, please ask

I do not know how far back for outputs you would like either, so I will start with the most recent post and move backwards if/when needed. And thank you.

Code:
 dmesg | grep p9p1
[ 1.394892] r8169 000:03:00.0 p9p1: renamed from eth0
[ 1.364885] systemd-udev[110]: renamed network interface eth0 to p9p1
[ 8.439524] r8169 000:03:00:0 p9p1: link down
[ 8.439552] IPv6: ADDCONF(NETDEV_UP): p9p1: link is not ready

then: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1022411
I followed instructions here. I cannot reproduce the output because I have rebooted since then. Im sorry about that. However no errors were reported during this process/ everything went according to the instructions. Keep in mind that I have 0 problem reinstalling if this tutorial causes an issue with your advice, it is still a fresh system with no modification, so I lose nothing .

then after that I downloaded the driver file from the link:http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads...5&Level=5&Conn=4&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false#2 and placed on a usb stick formatted in fat32

Code:
sudo mkdir /media/usb

sudo mount /dev/sdf1 /media/usb

bzip2 -d r8168-8.040.00.tar.bz2
bzip2:  Can't open input filer8168-8.040.00.tar.bz2:  No such file or directory

and that is where I am stuck at. I am sure that the usb stick is mounted because when I ran
Code:
mount: /dev/sdf1 already mounted or /media/usb busy
and it shows as mounted in
Code:
lsblk

Just to repeat: I can do a fresh install if Ive mucked things up with trying to manually install the driver package. I am certain that I will still not be in working order and be just at the same place though

Why are you not copy/pasting? You know you can do that in terminal, right? Or you can output the terminal to a text file. Then remove any personal data you're concerned about.... I mean what if you have to compile something from scratch for the network adapter?

Are you running a GUI on that machine? If so maybe check the "Network Manager" feature, make sure the NIC isn't put to sleep in Power Management as well.

Are you running a GUI on that machine? If so maybe check the "Network Manager" feature, make sure the NIC isn't put to sleep in Power Management as well.

Why are you not copy/pasting? You know you can do that in terminal, right? Or you can output the terminal to a text file. Then remove any personal data you're concerned about.... I mean what if you have to compile something from scratch for the network adapter?

It's a separate machine and can't reach the network. Pure cli / no gui or terminal. Funny thing is that one of the first things I do is install gui because I'm not terrible comfortable with cli :)

yes. /humor :)

Code:
sudo mkdir /media/usb

bzip2:  Can't open input filer8168-8.040.00.tar.bz2:  No such file or directory

and that is where I am stuck at. I am sure that the usb stick is mounted because when I ran
Code:
mount: /dev/sdf1 already mounted or /media/usb busy
and it shows as mounted in
Code:
lsblk

Just to repeat: I can do a fresh install if Ive mucked things up with trying to manually install the driver package. I am certain that I will still not be in working order and be just at the same place though

This seems to be your problem. If this is what you did exactly you arent in the directory that your file is in.

If I was doing this exactly it would look like this

Code:
sudo mkdir /media/usb
cp /media/usb/r8168-8.040.00.tar.bz2 /tmp
cd /tmp

This seems to be your problem. If this is what you did exactly you arent in the directory that your file is in.

If I was doing this exactly it would look like this

Code:
sudo mkdir /media/usb
cp /media/usb/r8168-8.040.00.tar.bz2 /tmp
cd /tmp

Thank you for that. You are correct I wasnt in the correct directory. I have gotten to the step where
Code:
make
is needed.
Code:
The program 'make' is currently not installed. You can install it by typing: sudo apt-get install make

I have been looking at this page : http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-800813.html to attempt an offline install of 'make' but I get an error:
Code:
 sudo apt-cdrom add --cdrom /media/cdrom0
        **does its business** then says
Repeat this process for the rest of the CDs in your set
username@host: $  sudo apt-get install build-essential
   **does its business and tells me how much additional space will be used.  Asks if I want to continue y/n **
  **then I get this message**

Media Change: Please insert the disc lableled
'Ubuntu-Server 14.04.3 LTS_Trusty Tahr_ -Beta amd64 (20150805)' 
in the drive 'media/cdrom/' and press enter

when I press enter the message is displayed again and again. I have opened the drive and checked the disc, and it is fine. The correct dic is in the drive.; So this has stalled at 'make' not being installed.

I am going to try to install a previous version and see if that will help the issue. I did not notice that it was 14.04.3 was a beta version until I saw the output listed above. I still do not have alot of confidence though, as this version installed cleanly before and now is suddenly not working.

On a side not, I had a genius plan to be able to copy/paste the output for posting
Code:
 command > outputfile.txt
but that isnt working yet. I think I know why, but until thenI will just thank you for your help :)

You can try just navigating into the directory where the cd rom is mounted and doing a

Code:
dpkg -i <file name>

I dont *think* make has any deps

You can try just navigating into the directory where the cd rom is mounted and doing a

Code:
dpkg -i <file name>

I dont *think* make has any deps

:chair: any idea what that filename is? or what the path to it is?
Code:
 dpkg -i make
cannot access archive: no such file or directory

How well will it work to load a live Cd that I know has 'make' included - > mount the drive that has my server or - > complete compile from live Cd? I mean I will try it anyway, but if there are any things to watch out for or tricks to making such a thing work.....

Edit: I used the NIC fix from the ubuntuforums link and fixed the NIC in a live version of Ubuntu Desktop. Got internet and everything. Mounting the existing Server partitions was a no go. Perhaps it can be done and perhaps not, but Im sick of messing with this thing. Installing the desktop version with working ethernet and stripping out the packages I dont need. Problem solved-ish/kinda.

I would like to know how a disk that previously installed just fine would suddenly turn up such a problem, and I would also like to know the "real" way to have fixed this issue (roadblock was getting
Code:
make
because the server version didnt include it by default). I will understand if no one else thinks that to be worth a second look however, especially since my problem is fairly well solved. Thanks to all here for any help offered. Im sure I will be back with another problem soon enough :)

Last edited:
:chair: any idea what that filename is? or what the path to it is?
Code:
 dpkg -i make
cannot access archive: no such file or directory

cd into the directory where you mounted the cdrom and do something like

Code:
find . -iname *make*

This should search the cdrom and give you the path to the deb package

Well like I sid above I was sure I had it fixed and had moved on to Ubuntu desktop and was simply planning to strip out the packages that I dont need. The only problem is that the fix doesnt survive a reboot. I may go back and try to fix the server edition after all. Sure loads quicker

Back