• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Flow reduction through 90's, 45's and other connections

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
No need to overthink the issue of 90 deg bends when building a PC watercooling loop.

Just go for looks/asthetics as generally our setups are not complex enough to worry about the impact of 90 deg Vs smooth angle fitting.

Also, using standard DDC or D5 pumps usually means we have plenty of pump drive and usually way in excess of what the loop actually requires.

No need to overthink the issue of 90 deg bends when building a PC watercooling loop.

Just go for looks/asthetics as generally our setups are not complex enough to worry about the impact of 90 deg Vs smooth angle fitting.

Also, using standard DDC or D5 pumps usually means we have plenty of pump drive and usually way in excess of what the loop actually requires.

+1 Exactly.

Unless you're running a massive single loop that might need dual pumps, our pumps in some sense are OP in the power that they have as flow is concerned. Should never be a problem.

I guess the point of running a system as efficiently as possible is lost with you guys. Yes you can have a butt ton of pretty 90's, 45's, dog-leg bent hard pipe, have two or three rads, throw 1-2 D5 pump(s) on it and yes it will work and yes it will look kick-butt. But will it be efficient? NO!

Its ok guys, your not hurting my feelings I knew this topic would get contentious before I posted it.

I guess the point of running a system as efficiently as possible is lost with you guys. Yes you can have a butt ton of pretty 90's, 45's, dog-leg bent hard pipe, have two or three rads, throw 1-2 D5 pump(s) on it and yes it will work and yes it will look kick-butt. But will it be efficient? NO!

Its ok guys, your not hurting my feelings I knew this topic would get contentious before I posted it.
Dude, what you're not getting is it will make no difference what so ever in a PC loop as long as your pump is doing the required 1.0-1.5 GPM. It's that simple.
I'm not disputing that plumbing a powerplant you have to take more into account, but this is just a PC loop. It will make no difference in temp.
JESUS
You must be a f**ing engineer.

Eddie,

I have been following this thread along with your others and I feel that they are not providing the awnsers you are looking for because you are approaching your questions wrong. Your original question was.
Before starting my water cooling project I did a lot of research but found very little consern when it came to flow rates and the fittings people where using in a pc water cooling system. Is this not a big consern?

Your base question of wether it affects a loop has been answered multiple times. If you are interested in talking theory on how to set up a loop as efficient as possible just for the sake of doing it, I for one would be more than happy to oblige but you need to pose your questions that way. If you apply that to this and your other threads you will probably get better responses. Please realize though that in such a small system that the investment in increasing efficiency will have no noticeable affect on real world temps or power usage. My slapped together systems will run within the margin of testing error as a well thought out efficient system.

Well that is my 2 cents but like I said if you are interested in just talking theory and shop about fluid dynamics and heat transfer I am always game for that.

Ahh well, I was really anal with my first loop. Then I learned that it ain't that big a deal. His stuff, his ideas.

Eddie, at least you did some homework first like I did.

But, I did my homework and posted a parts list and bought it for my first loop.. I was done.

I guess the point of running a system as efficiently as possible is lost with you guys
I have to believe that, you are correct, but seem to be missing the fact that it really doesn't matter. The negligiblr temperature differences assume less flow. All you need to do is keep it at 1-1.5 gpm and your are optimal no matter how many 90's are in the loop.

I have to believe that, you are correct, but seem to be missing the fact that it really doesn't matter. The negligiblr temperature differences assume less flow. All you need to do is keep it at 1-1.5 gpm and your are optimal no matter how many 90's are in the loop.
Exactly.

More than likely you will find that the majority of us build a loop with looks as a 1st priority and efficiency as 2nd.

IMO by aiming for the very last efficiency gains your are talking about, it generally means aesthetics can suffer a lot [in the builder's eye] and in practice the minimal gains available are not generally worth the effort if the final 'looks' don't quite fit what the user wants their build to look like.

If I was really building for efficiency, I would not even bother with water cooling in the first place...! I would be using air cooling, with an under-volted cpu....:)

Last edited:
Yeh can can have a bit of both for sure... and with the general run of the mill items available such as powerful D5/DDC pumps, large rads and the like, you can err on the side of 'looks' more often than not.

Good for you Eddie, now get to work, build it. Enuff fun fluff on something that matters to only the OCD and the new water coolers. You have heard enuff from the folks who have been doing this stuff for years, a few at decades.

Once you get going you can buy a $400+ flow meter gauge and let us know what you have found. Maybe you can be the next Skinnee!

Back