• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Does Size Really Matter? (Coolant Lines)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
IIRC, anything over 1/4" was fine.

I think the water cooling stickies we have go over that. Give those a quick read. :)

Yes I read that paper and although it is very informative, like always I'm just as interested in hearing what others have done and experienced. For instance, has anyone though about using more than one size of hose or is rigid better than flex..?

I chose the biggest tubing (1/2 x 3/4) because it won't kink so easily and has thicker walls which will give me a god like seal on my compression fittings while losing skin.

Smaller tubing is easier to work.

I chose flex tubing over rigid because rigid is more for show rigs imho and is a pain to take apart for maintenance I've heard and fragile, obviously and doesn't have a clamp like seal like compression fittings and flex tubing have.

Eddie, That's the testing.. other results will be similar when tested properly.

As far as mixing sizes, I would keep it the same throughout. Flow rates will only be a as good as your most restrictive part.

Rigid tubing looks sweet, but it is a pain to switch out when changing components.

The reason I went with rigid tubing was to eliminate a bunch of flow restricting 90 degree fittings. Is it a PITA to bend, Yes. Is is a PITA to change out, yes. Does it flow coolant like a strait piece of hose, Yes. If you can maintain 1GPM flow then it really doesn't matter the type or size hose you use.

I use 3/8 or 1/2,in this case being a sheeple works well as we don't have to reinvent the wheel.

The reason I went with rigid tubing was to eliminate a bunch of flow restricting 90 degree fittings. Is it a PITA to bend, Yes. Is is a PITA to change out, yes. Does it flow coolant like a strait piece of hose, Yes. If you can maintain 1GPM flow then it really doesn't matter the type or size hose you use.

IMHO the standard Bitspower 90 deg rotaries are not restrictive at all. They have a very smooth curve to them. And they bend every which way!

I have always used 1/2" inner diameter tubing. First PEX (PITA to work with!) now testing some cheap reinforced PVC tubing.

I had at least 5 90 degree PEX elbows in the old loop and things were still nice and cold :)
Elbows aren't as bad as many think they are.

My .02 and I also agree with the above.

If you plan on building the rig and not changing out parts then hard tubing is fine, but a real PIA if you do swap parts out often.

On the point GTXJB made I also go with 1/2 X 3/4 in tubing for the same reason. The thicker side wall has less tendency to kink when bent. I've used 3/8 X 1/2 tubing in the past and found that it will kink a lot easier when bent.

True, if you got deep pockets for more fittings, specifically extenders and angled ones to get your straights.

I've been seeing a lot of builds that utilize straight runs for acrylic lately, which have a lot of fancy fittings. Is it better to bend the acrylic into its various curves or are the special fittings (various angles) not that restrictive these days.

..........so for those that like speaking in “Degrees”, adding an elbow to your pump inlet or outlet is about equivalent to a 0.05C temperature loss. Probably not something to worry about much.

While I used to be a skeptic about installation of elbows on pumps, I’m not so worried about it now. At least with your typical DDC top with reduced inlet opening, the larger ID Bitspower elbows do not seem to cause much more than a little restriction which is not going to add up to more than a tenth of a degree and really not worth worrying about.

Source

Just one thing to keep in mind if opting for an elbow right at the imput side of a pump is that in some cases this can lead to cavitation.

The sharp change in direction right at a pumps input is usually not the best option. On the output side is ususlly quite OK though.

Just one thing to keep in mind if opting for an elbow right at the imput side of a pump is that in some cases this can lead to cavitation.

The sharp change in direction right at a pumps input is usually not the best option. On the output side is ususlly quite OK though.

I didn't even think of cavitation. Thanks for the heads up on this.

Once you prime the loop though, cavitation isn't a problem IMO.
My current loop and my previous loop both have elbows 1/2" before the pump inlet, and things are running smoothly.

Tapping the tubing with a stick or whatnot as well as creating a vacuum before the pump (like sucking air from the res via spare tubing like I did. Just like you would a drink and a straw) and then releasing the vacuum quickly released a fair amount of trapped air in the elbows. I did that a few times and all the air was released.

Back