• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Any way to dim monitor in software?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LoneWolf121188

My Dell 2408WFP is always set on it's lowest brightness, but sometimes at night it's still too bright. Is there any way to lower the brightness even more? Maybe something that runs in the background and just overlays a layer of gray over everything?

check out Flux, I use it, it basically lowers eye strain when it is early morning/late evening based on sunset/rise time.

check out Flux, I use it, it basically lowers eye strain when it is early morning/late evening based on sunset/rise time.
You can also dim the screen with alt+page up or alt+page down. I use this feature to prevent migraines so I don't have to change each monitor. It works very well.

I tried F.lux once, but uninstalled it after I saw that one couldn't set the hours for daytime and night. Is there any other hidden settings that I was unaware of, cause I didn't find anything on thier forum or website that resolved this issue.

[Edit]Oh yeah, I also remember it was conflicting with some setting that caused my monitor to flicker back and fourth from it's normal brightness to the lowered one. So even if I could edit the time of day for the settings, it still wasn't working right for me. [/edit]

The idea behind Flux is automation: you tell it where you are at it just does it. You can set the day and night time colors separately, and can have it enabled all the time, if you want. They might have override options in the configuration files, but I haven't looked.

Any other program which changes the color balance of your monitors might cause an issue.

Back