• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

This Is Annoying

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Alaric

I discovered W7 is installing updates whether I want it to or not. I purposely did not install the Cumulative Update for IE 11 , and it was installed yesterday. Updates are set to notify , never download or install , and it did it anyway. And I can't find that update under the Programs and Features/Installed Updates to uninstall it. Obviously I installed an update (accidentally) that allows this to happen , but I don't know which one. Can anybody here help with this? This kind of crap is why I don't have W10 , and I sure as heck don't want it in W7.

That would explain why my IE 11 is broken. The menu filters on the left side of newegg pages no longer work for me. While trying to figure out why I found the update issue.

Answer from microsoft techie :

Installing Silverlight or Microsoft Security Essentials (or MS Office or one or more Windows Live applications) can have several consequences:

If Windows Update was your default update source, it will be "flipped" to Microsoft Update.

If Automatic Updates was disabled (turned off), it will be enabled (turned on) again.

If Automatic Updates was set to the Download updates but let me choose... option or the Check for updates but let me choose... option, AU will be reset to the default Automatic setting.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...n/11a87a08-a2ee-4784-b978-a49a97270702?auth=1

My settings are still at check but don't download or install , and I've used MSE since it was introduced as Defender in beta and haven't had this problem. Certainly not since 2013 (date of the linked thread) I did update Office and turned on Silverlight for something or other , so that would be the likely culprit(s). Now I'd love to uninstall the offending update , but it doesn't show up on the list to uninstall. Forced telemetry. Linux is looking better and better all the time.

Last edited:
I've uninstalled and hidden so many updates for these reasons I can't remember them all. I have been at the forefront of bashing W10 around here , to the dismay of a few members and mods. M$ doesn't get that some people don't like to be pushed. I tend to respond poorly to it myself.

IE > Help > About > UNCHECK the box to install new versions automatically.

You can absolutely disable automatic updates on Windows XP/Vista/7/8 AND Windows 10!

But if you manually go to a Windows update page, then EVERYTHING starts updating on Windows 10 but you can choose what gets updates on previous OS...

Windows 7 Start > All Programs > Windows Update > Let me choose my settings (under Turn on automatic updates) > Under Important updates, select: Never check for updates > OK >

Back