• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New to Windows 10

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

shadowdr

I had a lot of issues when 10 first came out. It wouldn't update from the Windows update page and an upgrade via DVD worked but windows would lock up and removed several programs that I felt I needed such as Corsair link and core temp. Anyway I just went back to 7 and let MS do it's thing until it actually updated from the Win update page. So, yesterday it finally ran the update and succeeded in installing Windows 10. Now I am lost as far as what settings I need to change for privacy or security reasons. I had read that IE settings were changed to allow physical location to be tracked and I am more then a little nervous about my vulnerability on the internet. I have searched for the tweaks that I know I have seen but they appear to be buried in the forum so deep that I can't find them. I thought that I had bookmarked the pages but I can't seem to find the specific posts and keep going the page one of the Win 10 discussion thread. Is there a tweak page or can anyone list links that don't require me reading 83 pages to find what I need? Thanks for any help.

Getting too aggressive with the Privacy Settings can break W10. With that, I mean using scripts that can be found online that disable a bunch of settings under the hood. Before one goes crazy, after the install, I recommend cloning your install.

Additional Comment:

Microsoft has pulled the 1151 .iso from Techbench because there are issues with users who have done a fresh install.

Issues include:

Drivers getting uninstalled.

Regedit freezing when searching for strings.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/micr...0-threshold-2-iso-download-links-496525.shtml

10586.0.151029-1700.TH2 ? been using it for a week or so now and no problems outside of slower GPU performance.

I got to page 11 in our own thread without much help there. It was one of the post I had linked the whole thread instead of just the post. I will have to go back to it later. I am going to try the other link, it seems a little more to the point. Thanks.

Do not blindly run scripts, only cherry pick things you understand.
This was taken from here:

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/...-installation-How-(not)-to-install-Windows-10

* Disable Windows 10 telemetry (collection of user activity):
Settings > Privacy > Feedback and Diagnostics > Windows should ask for my feedback: Never
Send your device data to Microsoft: Basic
Start > services.msc > Scroll down to both Diagnostics Tracking Service and dmwappushsvc and Stop, then set both of them to Disable
Start > regedit > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\DataCollection
Right Click > New > DWORD (32-bit) Value > AllowTelemetry > Set its value to 0.

Start > All Apps > Windows System > Right click on Command Prompt > Run as administrator > Enter these two lines:
echo. >%programdata%\Microsoft\Diagnosis\ETLLogs\AutoLogger\AutoLogger-Diagtrack-Listener.etl
cacls.exe "%programdata%\Microsoft\Diagnosis\ETLLogs\AutoLogger\AutoLogger-Diagtrack-Listener.etl" /d SYSTEM
* Click inside the search box > [three lines in upper left corner] > Settings > Search online and include web results: OFF [repeat for each computer account]
* Go to any folder > View > Options [on the right] > General TAB > Open File Explorer to: This PC [repeat for each computer account]

Start > File Explorer > [wait for it to show up, then] Right click on This PC > Properties > Advanced system settings > Hardware TAB > Device Installation Settings > SELECT: No, let me choose what to > Never install driver software from Windows Update. UNCHECK everything here. > Save changes > OK.

* Open your web browser, and then enter the address of the configuration web page for your Wi-Fi router or other access point. The address is usually either http://192.168.0.1 or http://192.168.1.1 Disable Wi-Fi Sense by appending _optout to the name of your network in your router settings in order to prevent automatic access for everyone in your Windows 10 address book, and other people's devices. So change your NetworkName to NetworkName_optout
* Start > Settings > Network & Internet > Wi-Fi > [scroll down] Advanced options > Find devices and content: OFF > Metered connection: ON [This setting is only available for Wi-Fi and not Ethernet cable connections.]
Go back > [scroll down] Manage Wi-Fi settings > turn everything OFF.

* Start > gpedit.msc [available on Windows 10 Pro - not available on Windows 10 (non-pro) version.]
Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > System > Internet Communication Management > Internet Communication settings > Double click on Turn off the Windows Customer Experience Improvement Program > Enabled > OK
Double click on Turn off Windows Error Reporting > Enabled > OK
Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > System > User Profiles > Double click on Turn off the advertising ID > Enabled > OK
Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Application Compatibility > Double click on Turn off Application Telemetry > Enabled > OK
Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Data Collection and Preview builds > Double click on Allow Telemetry > Enabled > (below Enabled) click under Options > 0 - Off [Enterprise only]
Double click on Disable pre-release features or settings > Disabled > OK.
Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > File Explorer > Double click on Configure Windows SmartScreen > Enabled > (below Enabled) click under Pick one of the following settings > Turn off SmartSCreen
Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Update > Configure Automatic Updates > Disabled [Windows Update will not check for new updates automatically.]
Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > All Settings > Double-click on Prevent the usage of OneDrive for file storage > Enabled > OK

* Start > Settings > Update & security > Advanced options > Choose how updates are delivered: Notify to schedule restart.
Choose how updates are delivered [in blue, below] > Updates from more than one place > OFF
Start > File Explorer > [wait for it to show up, then] Right click on This PC > Properties > Advanced system settings > Computer Name TAB > Change… > change computer name > OK > Reboot
Start > Settings > Update & security > Check for updates

YOU CANNOT SELECT INDIVIDUAL UPDATES TO INSTALL ON ANY VERSION OF WINDOWS 10 - even if you simply check for Windows Updates - they all begin installing…

Here's an additional script that runs some of the things from above:
Edit this (if you want) then save this as a .bat file and run it.

REM *** Remove Telemetry & Data Collection ***
reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\DataCollection" /v "AllowTelemetry" /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\MRT" /v DontOfferThroughWUAU /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f
reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\SQMClient\Windows" /v "CEIPEnable" /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\AppCompat" /v "AITEnable" /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\AppCompat" /v "DisableUAR" /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f
reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\DataCollection" /v "AllowTelemetry" /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f

REM *** SCHEDULED TASKS tweaks ***
schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\AppID\SmartScreenSpecific" /Disable
schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\Application Experience\Microsoft Compatibility Appraiser" /Disable

REM schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\CloudExperienceHost\CreateObjectTask" /Disable
schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\Customer Experience Improvement Program\Consolidator" /Disable
schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\Customer Experience Improvement Program\KernelCeipTask" /Disable
schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\Customer Experience Improvement Program\UsbCeip" /Disable
schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\DiskDiagnostic\Microsoft-Windows-DiskDiagnosticDataCollector" /Disable

REM schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\DiskFootprint\Diagnostics" /Disable
schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\FileHistory\File History (maintenance mode)" /Disable
schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\Maintenance\WinSAT" /Disable
schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\NetTrace\GatherNetworkInfo" /Disable
schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\PI\Sqm-Tasks" /Disable
schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\Windows Error Reporting\QueueReporting" /Disable
schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\Automatic App Update" /Disable

This little tool does most of it if not all

https://www.safer-networking.org/spybot-anti-beacon/
Appreciate the link, went with that so I didn't have to read about everything I did and could undo it with just one click.

I am kind of liking 10 and don't see much difference from 7, I did already have classic shell installed so it looks like 7 anyway. how does everyone feel about Cortana? I had a lot of issues with IE11 and if it is a secure browser I may just give up IE altogether.

As far as I know Cortana only works in the US, (personally I have no use for it) but the program i linked also shuts it off for privacy concerns.

As far as I know Cortana only works in the US, (personally I have no use for it) but the program i linked also shuts it off for privacy concerns.

My bad, I meant MS Edge. I must be getting old.

I have never seen a one-click for all that didn't include something I actually want to keep.
Some of them can break your installation, they overdo it.

Cortana obviously needs access, to work...

Some people actually use OneDrive, others not.
You need to turn on/off personal preferences, or just not mess with it...

I know it's tempting to just blast it all with one click but like I said, I have never seen a single page that talks about this that I would blindly include everything on my system... even the stuff I chose, some of it is good for you some may not be...

Most lines I posted above are actually self-explanatory...

You can pick and choose what you want to disable, and it shows you exactly what its doing, try it. Edge seems to be fast/non intrusive enough but i have always had a thing for firefox/chrome and will keep using them until Microsoft decides to stop spying on us :p I really liked the little program and will like it even more if it stays updated.

I have never seen a one-click for all that didn't include something I actually want to keep.
Some of them can break your installation, they overdo it.

Cortana obviously needs access, to work...

Some people actually use OneDrive, others not.
You need to turn on/off personal preferences, or just not mess with it...

I know it's tempting to just blast it all with one click but like I said, I have never seen a single page that talks about this that I would blindly include everything on my system... even the stuff I chose, some of it is good for you some may not be...

Most lines I posted above are actually self-explanatory...
Yeah, I feel on that, but still I want to be safe online. Much of the new stuff is beyond my immediate comprehension without a lot of research that I will get to as I need it but for now I don't need everything spying on me. The Spybot app has an option page that has other stuff like One drive and Cortana and I have only disabled Office from there. As I get older I seem to be more paranoid about putting info out there when I am not certain how it is used or exactly who can see and use it. At least for now it seems like a good option and most of the things it is blocking are in your post as well.

Back