• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First impressions on 4k gaming

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bossman150

Ok so a week ago Saturday I got my 4k screen. I have probably played about 30 hours or so since then. With lots of people telling me that a single GTX 980 Ti would not be sufficient I am very pleasantly surprised at how well it does do 4k, and I have not tried to OC it yet. I have played SWTOR (max settings), WOW (max settings), Skyrim (max settings except shadows turned down a notch, no AA), Shadow of Mordor (max shadows tweaked no AA), Dishonored (max no AA) and Bioshock Inf (max, shadows tweaked no AA). So every game I have tried I have used the max graphics settings except shadows and AA. The games have looked AMAZING!! My framerate rarely dips below 60FPS (VSYNC) and my GPU never gets warm enough to turn the fans up, even after I tweaked the curve to come on at lower temps then factory.

Granted, I have not played any 2015 released games, but last year's and older games have played extremely well at 4k. I would guess that in the next year or two games will need vastly more GPU power once they really start to take advantage of 4k, but for now you can do very well with a single high end GPU. You don't need an SLI/Crossfire setup to enjoy 4k. Not that a single 980 Ti is cheap, but it's cheaper than buying two of them.

So every game I have tried I have used the max graphics settings except shadows and AA.
Its not max if you have to turn things down...! :)

Being a bit more serious, that is the advice I usually share with 4K and a single 980Ti... you can run fine, but you need to leave AA disabled. You don't need as much AA anyway with the pixel density on a 4K monitor (in your thread I said you may have to "turn some things down... and check out reviews" - AA is one of the things you have to turn down). ;)

And, for the record, you have one of the most highly overclock 980Ti's that are out already.

But if you run at true "max" settings, which includes AA in most titles, a single 980Ti won't cut it in many of those titles.

Last edited:
Hopefully the next gen video cards will offer better 4k support. I'm sure they will, but will one need a top tier card to "max out" game settings.

One almost always needs a top tier card to max out current - year AAA title settings. Depending on your overall definition of maxing out.

Back