• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Three day old WC loop, "dirt" in Res!?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dg77

Just finished my new loop a few days ago and noticed that there has accumulated quite a lot of "dirt" or something in my res.

Now this build is only three days old, all parts were cleaned with Isopropyl alcohol and radiators were cleaned with vinegar and rinsed with distilled water and then with Isopropyl alcohol as well.

Obviously I'm going to have to pick it all apart and clean it once again, but maybe one of you guys might have a clue as to what this "dirt" is?

I'm attaching/linking some pictures as well as a video of the res (and dirt within).

Would really appreciate some input of what has happened here, thanks! :)

The loop consist of the following components:
4x Alphacool 360 ST30 Radiators (Copper)

1x XSPC 120 Radiator (Copper)

2x EK-FC780 GTX Ti DCII - Acetal+Nickel, GPU Blocks

1x EK-Supremacy - Full Nickel

XSPC - PUSH ON - G1/4 - 19/13MM - CHROME, Fittings

Koolance QDC "QD4 Male Quick Disconnect No-Spill Coupling, Male Threaded G 3/8 BSPP"

Tygon A-60-G Norprene.

Koolance RP452x2 Reservoir.

2x VP655 Pumps in Series.

EK-Ekoolant CLEAR EVO (premix 1000mL).
https://shop.ekwb.com/EK-IM/EK-IM-3830046999689.pdf

Media:

Video: [video]https://vid.me/ka29[/video]

image1.JPG image3.JPG

Last edited:
I don't think Neoprene gives off plastisiser...... not 100% sure of that though. From the pics it looks green. Even though OP stated everything was well cleaned could this be some corrosion of some sort from the copper?

Are the rads new? You are using a premix? Distilled water and a biocide is what you should use. Using a high concentration of vinegar in a copper/brass rad will turn stuff green. I hope you didn't let the vinegar stay inside for long. When you cleaned them did you drain the liquid into a clear bowl and check the liquid?

Looks like old stuff if the rads are used. Looks like rad gunk with a heavy dose of vinegar and rads not cleaned real well if the rads are new.

Thanks for all the reply's guys.
All but one of the radiators were new, the xspc was used.

I only had the vinegar solution in the rads for 20-25 minutes, liquid was only miscolored slightly in one of them when emptied (slightly blu, faint).
Cleaned/rinsed/shock with distilled water untill liquid was clear.
Then once with Isopropyl afterwards.

The color of the dirt/gunk is actually grey btw.

Just gunk in the old rad. I guess clean it more. Unfortunately the CPU block has the gunk in the channels now. Gonna have to clean it.

And get rid of the funny liquid please. Distilled and a kill coil or Petras PHN Nuke, IanH Dead water, or other biocide. Much cheaper than having to buy snake oil for liquid. And it's best for the loop.

Could possibly be gunk build up from the used radiator on dye so who knows.

As Con stated, use a white bowl so you can see if there's anything coming out after a few rinses. That's what I always do. Keep doing it till 3 rinses show up clear.

NOT DIRT, BUT METAL FLAKE! IT MAYBE THE COOLANT!! MAYHEMS AURORA COOLANT!!!!!!

After looking at your loop. It is very clear to me, that is the metal from Mayhems Aurora Coolant. I have the same Reservoir/Pumps Combo. And when I used Mayhems Aurora galaxy purple, after a few days the flake started to pool at the bottom of the reservoir under the acrylic divider. If that is not the type of coolant you use; then it might be erosion if you have aluminum somewhere in the loop (which I doubt). I hope this helped somehow.

On a side note, are you using the 180-Degree connector, that came with the 452X2? I lost mine in transit from FL to AZ, and then back AZ to FL. I am looking to buy one, but performance-pcs nor frozenCPU sells, them. and koolance said "The Rev. 2.0 of the 452X2 reservoir/pump combo comes with the 180-degree connector, we only sold the 180-degree connector before Rev. 2.0 came out when the 452X2 did not come with it." I said "Well happens when you lose it, or it breaks?" No response.
Photo_016.jpg
This is my setup up i just finished bending the tubing (First time using PETG Hard tubing, Very fun, but very difficult if never done before)
Photo_008.jpg
This photo shows the crazy bend I did to allow room for a full sized single 5.25" drive can fit above the Koolance 452X2. Very Fun to do.
Photo_005.jpg
Heres the other side, not as nice. lol.

Rts2468,

I'm not using Mayhems and now I probably never will thanks 😉
Nice build you have going there 👍🏻
Take care in mounting that 452, the vibrations from it are very noticable when using two pumps.
Unfortunately I'm using the 180 in my build, less I could have given it to you no charge.

I dont have any aluminum anywhere in the loop.
The old used XSPC rad was made out of copper (at least most of it, when I checked it)

Regarding The coolant I'm using, to my knowledge the ingredients were not harmful to either skin nor rads and it has no color either so how bad can it be?

https://shop.ekwb.com/EK-PSS/EK-PSS-3830046999634.pdf

Yeah, I completely understand. It just reminded me of when I used Aurora coolant, the whole reservoir base had this "film" all around, and all around tubing that was at the lowest part of the loop. Sorry I couldn't be of any help. I hope you find out what is causing, I don't get how you could miss that much "gunk" when you cleaned the radiators several times.
But regardless of what caused this issue, YOU will have to find the problem and RE-CLEAN the whole system. I love doing that. Are you using Soft Tubing or Hard Tubing? Also What case are you using? To fit 4 x 360mm Radiators? Caselabs? Please let me know.

Thanks, RTS

Yeah, I completely understand. It just reminded me of when I used Aurora coolant, the whole reservoir base had this "film" all around, and all around tubing that was at the lowest part of the loop. Sorry I couldn't be of any help. I hope you find out what is causing, I don't get how you could miss that much "gunk" when you cleaned the radiators several times.
But regardless of what caused this issue, YOU will have to find the problem and RE-CLEAN the whole system. I love doing that. Are you using Soft Tubing or Hard Tubing? Also What case are you using? To fit 4 x 360mm Radiators? Caselabs? Please let me know.

Thanks, RTS

True that, it's a Caselabs M8.
I have pics of the entire build will put them up soon, but here's a sneak peek :)
ft23Ib1.jpg

Last edited:
Rts2468,

I'm not using Mayhems and now I probably never will thanks 
Nice build you have going there 
Take care in mounting that 452, the vibrations from it are very noticable when using two pumps.
Unfortunately I'm using the 180 in my build, less I could have given it to you no charge.

I dont have any aluminum anywhere in the loop.
The old used XSPC rad was made out of copper (at least most of it, when I checked it)

Regarding The coolant I'm using, to my knowledge the ingredients were not harmful to either skin nor rads and it has no color either so how bad can it be?

https://shop.ekwb.com/EK-PSS/EK-PSS-3830046999634.pdf

Lemme see... Distilled water at a store is about $1 a gallon. A bottle of PHN Nuke is about $10. That bottle has at least 30 drops in it. You usually need 2 drops per gallon of water so $.66 per application. Filling a loop is less than $2. Distilled has the highest cooling ability. Pure water. It does not corrode, does not stain, leaves no residue. And has no MSDS sheet or warnings.

It causes no problems, and many here have seen many problems with all sorts of snake oil liquids.

We pretty much swear by it here.

It's your rig, so it's up to you.

Last edited:
I hear you, believe it or not but finding distilled water here in Sweden is not that easy.
But I'll try for sure.

Ohh wow! Yea, had a few here from the UK have that issue. Maybe it's called something different. Try to find the water they put in baby humidifiers or medical CPAP machines. Really good Reverse Osmosis water is about the same. I also have seen deionized water, think it's close.

Ohh wow! Yea, had a few here from the UK have that issue. Maybe it's called something different. Try to find the water they put in baby humidifiers or medical CPAP machines. Really good Reverse Osmosis water is about the same. I also have seen deionized water, think it's close.

I think you're right. Its called something else if I recall correctly as well.

is that stuff grey or silver?
if it is silver someone might have rinsed the used rad with H2O2, this reacts with chrome and will strip it.

Back