• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Are both the PS4 and XBone going to be implementing DX12?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

magellan

I read a thread somewhere here on O'clockers about DX12, it was really long but I did get the impression that the XBone will be getting DX12. What about the PS4, will it be getting DX12 as well?

I'd imagine there would be ramifications either way for games developers.

If both console manufacturers go DX12 wouldn't that pretty much force all games developers into adopting DX12 as their standard?

I don't believe ps4 will get dx12. Xbox is getting it because it is basically updating to windows 10 which has dx12 built in.

I don't believe ps4 will get dx12. Xbox is getting it because it is basically updating to windows 10 which has dx12 built in.

The other thread here on O'clockers suggested that DX12 would give a 30% boost in graphics performance, which is hard to believe, but would clearly make the XBone the superior console platform.

Most of the hardware optimizations coming for DX12 PC are already present on consoles. Both the PS4 and XBone OSes operate much "closer to metal" than most things in the PC world currently. PCs will see "up to" type improvements in performance, depending on the exact performance metric being considered. Certain operations will see substantial improvements. The Xbox will not see nearly as big of a gain, if any gain at all. It'll improve/simplify porting from the Xbox platform to the PC platform since they'll be much more similar than before.

I thought the consoles had more direct communication with the GPU to start with, so if there is any process that it will improve its the multi-core function as out of the 8 - CPU cores, 2 was dedicated for OS/GPU. I know they removed the requirement for 2 now so games can utilize 7 of the 8 cores now. So maybe DX12 is implemented now or the improved OS/Interface is that much more efficient, so it can utilize the extra core potentially and have an improved horsepower.

PC is the gold standard so why are you saying his comment is "rather expressional". Everyone knows that even a budget PC exceeds the qualities of the consoles so this developer shouldn't need to sugar coat it for the people who don't like this fact.

Back