• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SPARC M7 CPU: better performance than Intel's best?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

magellan

https://www.oracle.com/corporate/pressrelease/sparc-m7-102615.html

It has more cores running at a higher frequency than anything Intel has now:

"Oracle’s SPARC M7 chip is a 4.1 GHz 32-core/256-thread processor that addresses the most demanding workloads with a balanced high performance design across all factors of memory, IO, and scalability. In addition, Oracle has improved every other aspect of the design compared to previous generation designs resulting in increased single-thread performance and reduced latency."

So far I'm just reading that this CPU is specifically designed for server farms that operate on Java. I'm not seeing this as an x86 CPU but something completely different. Share more information?

So far I'm just reading that this CPU is specifically designed for server farms that operate on Java. I'm not seeing this as an x86 CPU but something completely different. Share more information?

I'm pretty sure this isn't a CPU that's compatible w/the x86 ISA. I would be interested to see if it can beat Intel's best in single CPU SpecINT, SpecFP or Linpack benchmarks, because I don't think any other CPU manufacturer can.

Back