• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

budget AMD gaming build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bossman150

I am thinking about building a PC for my 10 year old son for Christmas. He is starting to show an interest, but I don't want to spend very much just incase he doesn't really stay interested. I built an AMD build for my oldest when he was 9 and he used the crap out of it for 8 years before building his own for the first time last year when he was 18. I would really like to stay at $700 including monitor.

Thoughts on this build?

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/yRLWkL

I am thinking about building a PC for my 10 year old son for Christmas. He is starting to show an interest, but I don't want to spend very much just incase he doesn't really stay interested. I built an AMD build for my oldest when he was 9 and he used the crap out of it for 8 years before building his own for the first time last year when he was 18. I would really like to stay at $700 including monitor.

Thoughts on this build?

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/yRLWkL
That setup works for me, though get a Samsung 850 Evo 250g for the same price and watch for rebates on it, I've seen them as low as 69.99. Get a HD as well such as this, if he's anything like my 12 year old he'll be wanting to record his gaming and you will not have enough storage with the SSD alone. I would also go with this Psu, not that you need anything close to 650w but for $39.99 the XFX is a much better platform made by Seasonic. Here is the review if you care to read it. Oh and these sticks are a bit less expensive for faster ram.

Thanks, I changed the SSD and memory. I am a diehard Corsair guy when it comes to PSU's, I have never put anything but Corsair in my builds and have never had a fail, even after 6+ years. However I think I probably would have tried that XFX due to the review if it wasn't for the MIR, I hate them and usually avoid making purchases based on them. They take ages to get your $$ back and half the time I forget to do the paperwork. I did change to a 550w partially modular corsair though, I discovered the one I picked was also a MIR one.

Edit: I will also add an HDD later on should he start really enjoying the PC.

- - - Updated - - -

Hmm wow, this is a lot of laptop for $760!

I really don't like the idea of a 10 year old having a laptop that he can take anywhere (and drop easily) but man he would love it. Have to really think about what to do here....

Thanks, I changed the SSD and memory. I am a diehard Corsair guy when it comes to PSU's, I have never put anything but Corsair in my builds and have never had a fail, even after 6+ years. However I think I probably would have tried that XFX due to the review if it wasn't for the MIR, I hate them and usually avoid making purchases based on them. They take ages to get your $$ back and half the time I forget to do the paperwork. I did change to a 550w partially modular corsair though, I discovered the one I picked was also a MIR one.

Edit: I will also add an HDD later on should he start really enjoying the PC.

Link to the updated build? Mandrake has you going in the right direction.

Ha, just for giggles I looked up my last AMD build I did for my oldest back in 2006. He was using this to play WOW up until a little over a year ago lol, though I think I upgraded the GPU a couple years after I built it and added more RAM:

Order #47397832
$359.99

SCEPTRE x22wg-Gamer Black 22" 5ms(GTG) HDMI Widescreen HDMI LCD MonitorWrite Review
1 x SCEPTRE x22wg-Gamer Black 22" 5ms(GTG) HDMI Widescreen HDMI LCD Monitor

12/6/2006
Inv #21753133

Shipped

Ineligible for return
Order #48454685
$611.64

Sony Optiarc CD Burner Black E-IDE(ATAPI) Model CRX230EE/B2 W/O SWWrite Review
1 x Sony Optiarc CD Burner Black E-IDE(ATAPI) Model CRX230EE/B2 W/O SW - OEM

Sony Optiarc Black IDE DVD-ROM Drive Model DDU1615/B2sWrite Review
2 x Sony Optiarc Black IDE DVD-ROM Drive Model DDU1615/B2s - OEM

SONY Black 1.44MB 3.5" Internal Floppy Drive Windows 98SE/ ME/ 2000/ XPWrite Review
1 x SONY Black 1.44MB 3.5" Internal Floppy Drive Windows 98SE/ ME/ 2000/ XP - OEM

WD Caviar SE WD1600JSRTL 160GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive RetailWrite Review
1 x WD Caviar SE WD1600JSRTL 160GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive

Raidmax KM-101UB Black & Blue PS/2 Standard Keyboard Mouse Combo SetWrite Review
1 x Raidmax KM-101UB Black & Blue PS/2 Standard Keyboard Mouse Combo Set

BIOSTAR NF4UAM2G AM2 NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra ATX AMD MotherboardWrite Review
1 x BIOSTAR NF4UAM2G AM2 NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra ATX AMD Motherboard

Mushkin Enhanced Enhanced Performance 1GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) Desktop Memory Model 991381Write Review
1 x Mushkin Enhanced Enhanced Performance 1GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) Desktop Memory Model 991381

EVGA GeForce 7600GT DirectX 9 256-P2-N615-TX 256MB 128-Bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 SLI Support Video CardWrite Review
1 x EVGA GeForce 7600GT DirectX 9 256-P2-N615-TX 256MB 128-Bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 SLI Support Video Card

AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ Windsor Dual-Core 2.0 GHz Socket AM2 89W ADA3800CUBOX ProcessorWrite Review
1 x AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ Windsor Dual-Core 2.0 GHz Socket AM2 89W ADA3800CUBOX Processor

Back