• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OS freezes when updating driver for Fury X

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

yaapelsinko

Registered
Hi.

OS is Windows 10,

My OS/PC freezes when I'm installing AMD drivers, in the moment old driver is unloading and new one is loading. Started with Fury X installation. Never had such issues with old 6970. Since Fury X was installed, there was this issue, but I somehow managed to install it in low graphics mode. Then motherboard was replaced (P55A-UD3R => H97-PRO), I reinstalled drivers without problems once, and thought it was MB to blame. But then it appeared again...

Doesn't matter if it's low graphics mode, or if I delete the old driver prior to installing new one. It is actually worse if I delete old driver and leave OS with basic one, next boot it will find some more advanced driver and will try to load it - with freeze as a result.

What's happening? It was some three driver versions since I have Fury X - for the moment I've installed it, then update and now new Crimson one. And two motherboards. And two PSU also. Must be something in between Win10 and Fury? Similar problems, anyone?

Have you tried using DDU (driver uninstaller)?

Uninstall software
Boot into safe mode (I believe you have to set this via msconfig now?)
Run DDU
Boot back into windows and try installing the new driver

Weird how this happens to some and not to others. In the last 3 years I've used a mix of Nvidia and AMD GPUs in several systems (14 cards). I sometimes don't even uninstall the old drivers until after I plug in the new card. Just Tuesday I replaced an EVGA GTX 960 4GB with a Sapphire R9 Fury Tri-X OC that way with no problems. After the system rebooted with the Fury, I deleted the Nvidia stuff and downloaded and installed the new Radeon Crimson interface and drivers. Never liked Catalyst anyway BTW, so glad to have something new from AMD.

The only PITA for me was that the Fury is so long (one foot!!!) it wouldn't fit in my large ATX case so I had to swap cases with my mATX X79 Xeon system to put the Skylake rig in my mATX Xigmatek cube case. That smaller case fits the Fury with a few inches to spare. Good thing I always buy mATX motherboards these days!

Back