• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking for a keyboard

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TransformedBG

Currently i use a logitech MX3200 for a lot of gaming and coding..
Logitech_MX_3200_Cordless_Keyboard.JPG

Im thinking i want to go to a mechanical style keyboard but im looking for something that has the F keys lined upt to the 1 key as in the picture above.. i use my f keys a lot and its kind of muscle memory at this point.. just wondering what people might suggest?

How about a G710+? I've used one for almost 3 years with no issues at all.

Do you know what keys you want?
What's your budget?
Backlighting, yes/no?

How about a G710+? I've used one for almost 3 years with no issues at all.
kind of like it would just like the function keeys to be a little closer...

Do you know what keys you want?
not too sure.. just exploring my options always been a off the shelf at best buy guy

What's your budget?
quality over price... so its variable.

Backlighting, yes/no?
doesnt matter.

Okay, so what mechanical keyboards have you tried?
What's your typical usage?

the only one i ever used was the razor blackwidow.. i liked it.. but the only think im too concerned about it function keys.. really i enjoy having f1-4 right above 1,2,3,4. i have mine macro-ed to do specific functions other then what they usually do in game. i just need to be able to reach all the keys quickly. like i said i guess its mostly cause im using muscle memory at this point, but i can always relearn i guess.. im really just open to suggestions. I honestly dont know much about the mechanical side, i just am tired of buttons breaking, batteries dieing, etc... i do a lot of programming and typing as well.

I'm still looking for a wireless mechanical with laser-etched keys.
I wear many of the decals off keys after several months.

FYI, the G710+ is $80 on Newegg right now.
That's a smoking deal on an amazing keyboard.

Backlit keyboard, nothing to wear off ;)

What do you mean "nothing to wear off"?
The vast majority of keycaps for backlit keyboards are black paint on a clear or opaque cap.
The paint absolutely will wear off at some point...

What do you mean "nothing to wear off"?
The vast majority of keycaps for backlit keyboards are black paint on a clear or opaque cap.
The paint absolutely will wear off at some point...

Why would the paint matter when its its BACKLIT? *edit* the vast majority arent clear all the mechs ive had werent, replacement caps maybe?

Why would the paint matter when its its BACKLIT? *edit* the vast majority arent clear all the mechs ive had werent, replacement caps maybe?

Because the plastic itself is clear or opaque. The part the light shines through is the clear plastic.
The part that doesn't have light coming through is because of a coat of paint.
Said paint can, and will, wear off over time.

Look at the recent review I did here: http://www.overclockers.com/tt-esports-poseidon-z-rgb-brown-switch-mechanical-keyboard-review/
Specifically this picture:
IMG_3782.jpg

This is the perfect example of a painted keycap.
See how there's a layer of black paint to block the light everywhere except the letter? THAT will wear off.

Because the plastic itself is clear or opaque. The part the light shines through is the clear plastic.
The part that doesn't have light coming through is because of a coat of paint.
Said paint can, and will, wear off over time.

Look at the recent review I did here: http://www.overclockers.com/tt-esports-poseidon-z-rgb-brown-switch-mechanical-keyboard-review/
Specifically this picture:
View attachment 171678

This is the perfect example of a painted keycap.
See how there's a layer of black paint to block the light everywhere except the letter? THAT will wear off.

Im pretty sure RollingThunder was talking about the printed letters upon the keys and not wearing through the key itself.

Im pretty sure RollingThunder was talking about the printed letters upon the keys and not wearing through the key itself.

You're not wearing through the key itself... you're wearing through the paint.
And it's the exact same thing he's talking about.

In some cases, on non-backlit keyboards, you have a painted letter on a solid color keycap.
On backlit you have the opposite, the lack of paint where the letter is.

What exactly are you not understanding??

i figured even though the function keys arent quite were i would like um, i could always relearn muscle memory and then ill have a few extra keys to learn .. not to mention that was almost half off lol

i figured even though the function keys arent quite were i would like um, i could always relearn muscle memory and then ill have a few extra keys to learn .. not to mention that was almost half off lol

Yeah, that's a great price for ANY good mechanical keyboard.
Especially one that's RGB backlit, has extra macro keys, and has Logitech's support behind it.

Back