• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED God Mode, download speed unlocked?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

chew

Help me understand this. I have Fiber internet 130Mb/s down 50Mb/s up. A Samsung series 9 laptop. A desktop, intel i5, ssd etc.
Both ran Windows 7. I would download files using sftp on FileZilla. My desktop is using wired gigabit ethernet.

The sftp transfer speed would max out at 3MB/s desktop, My laptop 3MB/s wired, 1.5MB/s wireless. I then do the free upgrade to windows 10 on both machines and dont change a thing with their set up. Desktop 3MB/s down... Laptop 8MB/s Down wireless 15MB/s!! down wired! with sftp.

Why is my desktop still stuck at 3MB/s with the exact same setup..?
Has anyone else gotten this speed boost from upgrading to windows 10?

Thank You

Last edited:
the transfer speed from where? What do you see when you use a speed test site like speedtest.net?

the transfer speed from where? What do you see when you use a speed test site like speedtest.net?

4861706528.png

Taken From desktop

The server is in the Netherlands, but that's beside the point. I can max out my connection on the desktop in filezilla, by having 5 concurrent downloads each top out at 3MB/s so 15MB/s total. I always assumed the 3MB/s was the fastest single connection I could make to my server, the laptop was the same with a wired connection. I was fine with that until I upgraded my laptop to win 10, and all of a sudden with the laptop I pull down files at 15MB/s might as well call that the full 130Mb/s fiber connection.

I just did a file transfer speed test. The file is 435MB
Desktop 2:23s
Laptop 30s

It seems like something in windows was limiting single file transfer to 3MB/s and some how upgrading to windows 10 flipped a bit or something and i get my full connection speed for file transfer.

Edit: I also just used speedtest.net to the Netherlands and I get my full conection speed on both computers only with a 97ms ping time vs the 9ms local.

Last edited:
So whats the artificial thing holding back my connection with filezilla on the desktop?

I've been digging like crazy trying it figure this out and finally have.

The problem was "TCP Window Scaling heuristics"
The solution Disable it.
Run the command prompt as admin and enter "netsh interface tcp set heuristics disabled"

ps 16MB/s Down on the desktop :D

Back